Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there anyone famous on the forum??

JDL

My uncle used to live around the bend from one Donald "Duck" Dunn. Said he wished he'd gotten to know the guy a little bit better now, but he still knew him.

I'm also 3 handshakes away from Phil Lesh...my friend knows this girl whose mom knows Phil's wife...I need to meet him sometime. I think it'd be cool. Do those count?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Flemtone:

I've played with Mary Wilson (Supremes)...

Respect! :thu:

I'd love to do that, I could retire happily after playing with an original Motown legend!

Time to put the foam under my strings and get practicing my "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" lines again!

Well, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call me famous, but I do pop in occasionally. Since I was the original moderator, I check in from time to time. I really don't have lots of time for forums these days, I have one book to finish, and 4 waiting in the wings.

Hey, thanks for thinking I'm famous anyway! Now I have to DO something!

Not only do I have a famous last name(2x over), I also

had the privlege

of shaking the hand

and speaking to

The one

the only

Jaco Pastorius.

Yep, he was standing there at the bar before his gig at the Chestnut Caberet in Philly.

And I said the single most stupid thing that I could have possibly said to him.

"I play bass too."

Duh. I must have been wacked. ;)

But, he did his best not to make me feel stupid. He wasn't annoyed or anything. I think his manager had him pretty well tanked.

I said something else stupid later that night, but it's much too stupid to repeat.

I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by Mr. Bassist:

It must suck to be you. :D

Oh, you have no idea... :D:D:D

Brian Beller is no slouch, either. You ever heard the Keneally/Beller/Gilbert/DiVirgillio cover of Siberian Khatru by Yes? Mind-stomping.

Chris

Oh yeah, I've heard that, and it totally and utterly rules. Especially the right turn they take into "Sahara of Snow" that they take in the middle of the song and then the quote of "Heart of the Sunrise" at the end. Absolutely brilliant.

An explanation to what davebrownbass posted regarding the lady I sleep with, my wife AKA Lady Bo. She played with Bo Diddley from 1956 to 1962. Her and I have been together since the late sixties. She was reunited with Bo in 1970 and her and I both played with Bo for over 20 years from that point. Here\'s a link that is a tribute to Lady Bo. I was the bass player on all recordings and gigs referring to The Family Jewel. I don't consider myself famous, just another working bass player.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

An explanation to what davebrownbass posted regarding the lady I sleep with, my wife AKA Lady Bo. She played with Bo Diddley from 1956 to 1962. Her and I have been together since the late sixties. She was reunited with Bo in 1970 and her and I both played with Bo for over 20 years from that point. Here\'s a link that is a tribute to Lady Bo. I was the bass player on all recordings and gigs referring to The Family Jewel. I don't consider myself famous, just another working bass player.

Wally

Wally, you are the coolest, man. :cool:

Well my tenous connection is that my last band's drummer was Ian Anderson's (of Jethro Tull fame) son. Great rock drummer but he just didn't connect with me, too stiff and predictable. Shame. And my ex-drummer's flatmate is Rick Parfitt Jr (son of the Status Quo guy) who's also a drummer.

Alex

I was the bass player on all recordings and gigs referring to The Family Jewel. I don't consider myself famous, just another working bass player.

Wally

Wally, that's what MAKES you famous in my book. I absolutely love the guys that can play bass, remain in the background and never let it get to their head.

Uhhh...this stern face un-grinning at your posts...

Is that you? The best I can remember from uglybassplayer.com is that you didn't look like that...but I may be getting you and somebody else confused.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

About a year ago, I spoke to Mark Slaughter in his kitchen for a half hour. He and his wife were holding a redecorating sale at their home outside Nashville. He had a few interesting instruments for sale, but most of the items were home furnishings they were replacing. Nice guy.

When I was about 9 years old my parents were invited to a time-share at the old Playboy Resort in Wisconsin. We were swimming in the outdoor pool when Hal Linden showed up. (He was performing at the in-resort club.)

I'd say a year prior to meeting Hal I stood next to the then tallest living man while waiting to enter the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago for Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey Circus. Don Koehler lived in the Chicagoland area and attended the circus there. They installed an extra large seat for him whenever the circus was in town. It was dizzying for me, an average size 8 year old, to look up at 8' 2" Mr. Koehler. Yeow!

All my other brushes-with-fame occured while mixing or hanging with those I was mixing. Haven't had the pleasure of playing guitar, onstage, with anyone famous.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Dave, that's me. That photo was taken when I ran for the AFM International Executive Board (didn't get elected). When I get it hosted I'll put one up with me and a bass.

Wally

You look like your about to kick some ass in that photo, Wally! :P
I have no homepage.

Extremely late reply! CMDN your fantabulous prize is......First bid on the afore mentioned reconditioned Peavy! They've removed the drunkenly decorated front grill, put a new (well give or take some use) speaker and fixed the dodgy kettle lead at the back. I'm sure they'll sell it for a whopping £150, add a few grand shipping and walla! An amp that was owned by (shit I've forgotten his name) and ME! Consider your life blessed, you can die in peace now!

Wally, I'd call that famous, those recordings will out live us all! I'd say you've made your mark.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I'm a newbie here but I did go to highschool with Steve Azola (Azola Basses)and we used to torture him as a kid. But he would take Fenders and put Gibson humbuckers on them back in the late 60s. Now look at what he does. Also went to college with Paul Reed Smith. He took Irving Sloan's "How to Make an Acoustic Guitar" out of the library like 20 times. Oh well, I still can't play very well but I keep on trying.
J. Haight

Well, I did bumped (literally) into Kid Rock's guitar player (Brian Olson?) at the Arlington guitarshow jam (I know the guys who host it).

I didn't want to have to use this to stage you guys up or anything, but

I am realted to the chef Burt Wolf, thats right, the Crisco guy that looks kinda like Bob Villa. Yeah, your jeleous, I know. ;):P:D

Originally posted by BNC:

I am realted to the chef Burt Wolf, thats right, the Crisco guy that looks kinda like Bob Villa. Yeah, your jeleous, I know. ;):P:D

Sorry, never heard of him.

so, i am not jeleous as you put it.

But, thats cool about they guy who went to school with Paul Reed Smith, but he's dumb for making fun of that other guy.

Peace,

JDL

Originally posted by chad:

OT, but Vai asked Zappa once how he could afford so much expensive musical and recording equipment. Zappa replied, "Easy. I don't do cocaine."

You're misquoting him, the real quote is better.

"Some rock musicians make a bunch of money and stick it up their noses - I stick mine in my ear."

Works for me :)

Chris Johnson

Well, given the fascination we have as a culture for celebrity, it's not surprising that we like to recount our brushes with greatness. Going to the NAMM show every year has been a big source for meeting famous people. After a while, it's not as big of a deal as you think it is. However, I was totally tongue-tied when I met Herbie Hancock this year! "Uh, huh, yeah, I ...uh...love your...work..."

Yah my bass teacher's band used to tour with the chili peppers and pearl jam...that was in his funk days...he's strictly classical now...but he played my electric the other day with some pretty amazing results.
See that bass? Grr I wish it were mine. What am I stuck with? A lousy Kay Bass, a beat up school owned instrument nonetheless.

-----------------------------------------

"See that bass? Grr I wish it were mine. What am I stuck with? A lousy Kay Bass, a beat up school owned instrument nonetheless."

-----------------------------------------

Oww..my brain...

Kay uprights are GREAT! Even if it's an old school-owned instrument, they get probably the warmest sound I've heard!

Think of the poor starving orphans who have no basses. Oh, the humanity!

Peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Archived