Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite bassist???

bottomdweller13

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To name a few . . .

Ryan Martinie

Flea

Stefan Lessard

Dirk Lance

Les Claypool

Jason Newsted

Robert Trujillo

Fieldy

Sting

Chris Chaney

Chris Clemente

Doug Ardito

Peter Charell

Josh Paul

Sam Rivers

P-Nut

Traa Daniels

Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Not everyone needs to be Jaco. Sometimes your band just needs a bass player, somebody to just play root notes - Dirk Lance

Originally posted by Bartolini:

Jaco * * * * * *

Bernard Edwards * * *

Nathaniel Phillipes * * * *

Louis Johnson * * *

Mark King * *

Victor Wooten * * * * *

Flea *

Marcus Miller * * * *

I'll go ahead and say that THIS list by Bartolini, with the addition of Bootsy & Me'shell would be MY list...

Rarely do I ever see any mention of Nathaniel Phillips in all time bass-lore, except in this forum. Props to you my friend..Nathanial is a beast..a very smooth beast!

If you've never heard him, think Glide by Pleasure, and then go out and find a dub of Pleasure's 'Law Of The Raw' & 'Selim' My goodness!!!

TROLL . . . ish.

Ok now you've got me started! Have to pay homage to the Fonk bass gods--

-Mark Adams(Mr Mark) from Slave. This was the nastiest cat ever!! Very brutal & pure.

-Steve Washington from Aurra. Steve played trumpet w/ Slave and Bass w/ Aurra. Worlds's most unsung funk god.

-Louis Johnson Of course he's well known, but had to include him...The Bros Johnson song: The Devil has such a classic funk bass riff. and the song 'Mr Cool' is just a bass miracle! Most folks have completely forgotten the stuff he did on the Q produced Donna Summer album...Damn nice work!

-Aaron Mills from cameo. Legendary cat! Cameo funk is sum gooooooooood funk ya'll!!!!

-Mike Burnett from Cameo. As I remember, Aaron got a solo deal and left Cameo, and Mike replaced him for like 2 albums and a tour or two. On those records this guy actually took the stuff Aaron was doing to a higher level. Some pretty good hits came from the Mike Burnett era too..'Strange' and I think 'Single life' as well.

-Debra Killings This is my wildcard ya'll. I know most of you haven't heard of her, so I put this link here so you can check her track record.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CASS80305141600&sql=R93800#SONGSAPPEAR

Debra writes, sings and plays Bass on a lot of Dallas Austin productions(TLC Outkast). Won't get into all that except to say that she's known as more of a singer here in Atlanta. Let me just say this Debra is sic on bass!! To this day, Ive never heard anyone play the standard funk tune 'Thank You' by Sly like she does....male or female! Girl can play her lil cute butt off!! You'll find her doing more gospel now days but don't pass up a chance to see her....hell of a voice to. Ok Im tired now....

TROLL . . . ish.

geezer and/or gene.

claypool and flea are two obvious choices, but i don't care much for either of their bands. mind you, primus' cover of NIB was fantastic.

- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

HI yall. First Post.

What about the bassist for the 70's art rock group, RENAISSANCE? !!!!!!!!JON CAMP!!!!!!!! He is far and away my fav, but he has dropped off the scene - Go hear the Scherazade record and tell me that's not the greatest playing ever. Played a Rick 4001 to emulate Chris Squire of Yes, or so he said in a interview I read.

http://www.nlightsweb.com/

to get more info - check them out if you have never heard his playing you need to.

Mark Sandman.

Glad he came up. Neat lines and no gear/glory hound he.

First time I saw him, with Treat he Right, he was playing a gu*&ar through an octave pedal. Worked fine. Ballsy move too.

Tragic end though. Nice guy by all accounts.

D.

How can you not love flea and les. . .thats like stevie ray, and jimmi. . .everyone loves them ya know. . .but listen. . .There are 2 bass players out there right now that are simply amazing. . .and creating something benificial for us all. . .

Reid Mathis from the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey. . .I promise all of you to check this band out. . .it WILL BLOW YOUR MIND. . .you have to see them live to believe it. By attending a Jacob Fred show one will witness, share and create the music. Reid and the rest of the JFJO will connect you to Mother earth and the universe that is her family. Their website has clips for download. . .but dont be satisfied with what you hear until you witness The Jacob Fred.

www.jfjo.com

and Dan Kurtz from The New Deal. . .The new deal is the most inovative band in the West right now. . .they are from Toronto and are invading the US (thank you canada). . .Now I am not one for house music. . .but these guys are creating it live with insramints. . .Drums, Bass & Keys. . .AMAZING. . .Dan uses all sorts of effects on his bass and is truely exploring the outer relms of bass playing.

www.thenewdeal.ca

Pete Trewevas (Marillion/Transatlantic) was mentioned earlier by a few people. Definitely an underrecognized bassist.

Then there's Les Claypool. :freak: I think their mp3.com page is downsized (it used to have around half their material on it), but if you have a few extra bucks, their CD isn't a bad investment (please note I have had no interaction or relationship with the band, I just happen to like 'em :D )

Death & Taxe$ Homepage

Flying Machine --A Progressive Rock/Postpop/Metal Project

My reason for ever picking up a bass guitar: Mel Schacher (love or hate Grand Funk Railroad, just had to appreciate his work).

Beyond him, Jamerson, Rocco, Geezer, Marcus Miller, Bruce, Entwhistle, Sir Paul, and of course, John Paul Jones!

Many other greats out there, but these are the guys that really lay it down in my soul.

Cheers,

Hammer

I think the best bassist in no order are...

Les Claypool

Victor Wooten

Jaco Pastorius

Chris Squire

Flea

Jack Bruce

these are the guys I listen to for inspiration.I dunno what I would be doing in my life if I never heard them play.

GOOD STUFF,DUDE!!

Archived