Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite bassist???

bottomdweller13

I dare not pick favorites, being only a few months into playing the bass, Ive spend just as little time really listening for the bass in music. Having started this new musical journey on the low side, I am thrilled to experience music with an ear for the bass line now, something I never paid attention to before.

So while I can't at this early stage pick favorites, I have been listening to a lot of Victor Wooten (Im always thrilled to hear him guesting on "The Maker" on DMB's LIve at Chicago CD) and Les Claypool (big Oysterhead fan here) which I enjoy immensely. My next project is to find more Jaco to download since everyone (including my bass instructor) sings his praises so highly.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tundrkys:

I don'tknow too many bass players. but of the ones I do know, I think Duff Mckagen of GnR fame and RemyShand are the two that really catch my attention. Whoever played for billy Idol back in the early '80s is pretty good too.

Tony James played with Idol in the band Generation X. Phil Feit replaced him along the way, I think before Billy hit big on MTV. Steve McGrath is Idol's current bassist.

Phil played with Joe Perry n' some other guys in a band called Adam Bomb.

Tony James went on to form Sigue Sigue Sputnik, for any of you that might recognize that name. Seems they had one hit. . .

adamsclay

Originally posted by chaz:

Some of those mentioned, esp. Stu Hamm and Stanley Clarke, as well as Nathan East and the guy who played for James Brown many moons ago back in the 60s.

"Sweet" Charles Sherrell is probably who you're talkin' about. Bootsy Collins replaced him for a short time in '70, and I think probably has stepped in and out several times since then.

James Brown credits Sherrell with comin' up with "thumpin' the strings with his thumb" before Bootsy, who had to learn it to play Sherrell's stuff.

adamsclay

Geddy was the first one that really made me stop and think "Damn! That was a bass?!". Later that got me into Billy Sheehan. But more recently I've gone backwards somewhat to look at the music that got me from bein' four years old listening to my dad's records while layin' on the floor with cans on to being 36 with all manner of music in my rack. So I've gone back to Jamerson. I've gone back to the Muscle Shoals Sound Studios and Dave Hood, and to Joe Osborn. I'm still picking it up. . .these guys playing in the sixties and into the seventies were soooo tight. They were nailing stuff on first and second take, no punches. First take artists. I'm still discovering. . .

Can't leave off my namesake who reminds me I don't have to be a chopmeister to be good, Adam Clayton. No, he's not the greatest, but I do think underrated is a word that applies to him.

adamsclay

Still only one word....Jamerson.

Actually that's a lie, here are several more words.

Winston Blisset, he played on "Spinning Around" by Kylie Minogue and Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" album. Lovely bloke...I was surprised to find that he is quite short. (He always looked tall in photos.) The man has the FUNK!!!! (If the poster says bass-Winston Blisset go to the gig.)

But still....Jamerson.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

My favorite bass player has always been myself because we talk a lot, but I'm not as reliable.

Of the publicly accomplished, I always have to give kudos for the works by Ray Schulmann, the bass player (and multi-instrumentalist) for Gentle Giant.

Bruce Thomas has to be my faves, I like to think of him as the white Jamerson. His playing and tone were a huge part of the sound of the early Attractions records, and I don't think many records sound like those.

Another underrated fave is Paul Simonon of the Clash. Who else played reggae with a pick and made it work?

Nota.

Originally posted by notamachine:

Bruce Thomas has to be my faves, I like to think of him as the white Jamerson. His playing and tone were a huge part of the sound of the early Attractions records, and I don't think many records sound like those.

Nota.

I would have to rank Lipstick Vogue as one of my all-time top ten bass tracks. Simply amazing stuff.

How about that Jerry Scheff guy?

Chris

Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band)

Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters)

Adam Clayton (U2)

Tony Kanal (No Doubt)

Ross Valory (Journey)

James Jamerson, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Noel Redding, Jack Bruce.

The guys who play bass for NewOrder and The Cure.

The guy playing the upright for Ben E. King on "Stand By Me."

The Japanese phenom who plays bass with drummer Akira Jimbo, another Japanese phenom.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• 2 months later...
Since everyone else posted, I'll post my favorite bassist.......that's singular right? Stefan Lessard of the dave matthews band. I like his style on stage. Of course I have other favs, but this is the guy I actually want to be like. Victor Wooten is just on another planet.
"...it might be a quarter-life crisis" John Mayer, Why Georgia?

In order of favorite to least favorite:

• Jaco Pastorius
  • Rocco Prestia
  • Charles Mingus
  • Victor Wooten
  • Rocco Prestia
  • Larry Graham
  • many, many, many more.

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

• 3 weeks later...
My inspirations for BEST BASS PLAYER are numerous....John Entwhistle ranks very high on my list as well as Geddy Lee, Stanley Clark and Graham Mahbe bassist for the Joe Jackson band back in the days of 80's new wave music. The guy was extremely melodic, he had great lines...just check out Joe Jackson's albums "Look Sharp" and "I'm The Man". Graham was totally under rated for his day.

I saw Graham Maby play in Seattle in about 1985. He was playing a graphite Steinberger and ...damn! He's still with Joe I believe. Here's a good link for him: The Maby-tollah.

Peter Cetera's bass in the 60's and early 70's deserves a mention in this amazing list. Very underrated; he, Kath and Danny Seraphine were amazing live.

Funk Brother Bob Babbitt has to be in here, too.

Midnight Train To Georgia kills me every time I hear him on it.

Max Bennett (LA Express and Joni Mitchell) should get a nod..

Lee Sklar (Billy Cobham, James Taylor, Almost everybody else)too.

There are so many great players.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

Man, did i miss something? Maybe I'm just blind, where's Marcus Miller? He is the epidomy of funk bass in my opinion. Personally, I'd have to also give kudos to Rocco and Jamerson, two bass players who's music has affected my style in a big way.

As far as lesser known players go, I'd say Darren Sedor, he's a phenomenal bass player from my neck of the woods who has taught me so much.

Archived