Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mustang Bass or Sting Signature P-Bass?

bassdrummer

Any comments on the Mustang bass? I like the smaller size. How does it compare to the Sting Sig. P-bass? I've heard that one is also smaller and/or lighter. I just want a good, straight ahead chunky, fat rock sound in a lighter weight bass.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh...the Mustang...

A lot like my second bass...the Fender Musicmaster.

Still, it's not gonna sound like the fat P bass sound you're looking for.

Play one of these...not expensive...the active side is pretty noisy, but passive, these are good basses and plenty light. http://www.guitarparadise.com.au/guitars/bass/cort/curbow.html

of course, this guy's selling them pretty high. Mars (RIP) use to sell them in the $450 range.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Well, the Musicmaster is not the Mustang.

I should'a checked the website (too late at night.)

And...those Curbows biggest virtue is that they are light...very light.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Get the Sting. I played one and was very close to buying it and I'm not a big P-bass fan. They just don't have the sound I want. But if that's the sound you are looking for, it's a great bass. I have to agree that the only drawback is the cheesy "Sting" logo on the 12th fret.

out of those two I would get the sting. the mustang bass is pretty cool but I don't like it because I play some things in drop D tuning and the shorter scale creates a problem in string tension. the mustang bass is a nice bass though. I'd try to play them both.

if you are looking for a good sounding light weight bass you might consider checking out a reverend rumblefish bass, I just bought one and I really like it. they look a little different but play and sound amazing, it has the best neck I've played on a bass for under a grand. here is a link.

http://www.reverendguitars.com

Archived