Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Add on or Needed?

dohhhhh6

I was wondering if real bassists like yourselves would think that a bass just adds "depth" to your song or if it's a necessity? Personally I'm hearing bass lines more and more the harder I look but most bass lines you can't even hear. So what do you think? Add on or needed?
In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't vote in the poll, as I think that there should be a third choice of both, because a good bass line exempilfies both things:

It adds depth because it's needed, and it's needed because it adds depth.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

I didn't vote in the poll, as I think that there should be a third choice of both, because a good bass line exempilfies both things:

It adds depth because it's needed, and it's needed because it adds depth.

Peace,

wraub

Yeah, you beat me to it. But the only difference is, I voted. I think that rather than it adding to a song, it is a necessity. But, above all, it is both. I think I speak for most bassists here when I say that. (wraub, i know you basically said the same thing)

JDL-thisthreadprobablywontgofar,butwhoami

Originally posted by Da LadY In The Pink Dress:

I was wondering if real bassists like yourselves would think that a bass just adds "depth" to your song or if it's a necessity?

Hm. New polls, perhaps (Y/N format):

1. Am I a real bassist?

2. What is depth?

3. Which song?

4. What is necessary?

Originally posted by music-man:

Originally posted by Da LadY In The Pink Dress:

I was wondering if real bassists like yourselves would think that a bass just adds "depth" to your song or if it's a necessity?

Hm. New polls, perhaps (Y/N format):

1. Am I a real bassist?

2. What is depth?

3. Which song?

4. What is necessary?

Whoa, man. That's too deep.

Seriously, though, here's how I'd answer these:

1. Yes, as I am corporeal (and that even has the word "real" in it), and I play bass.

2. You know it when you feel it.

3. The one that needs it.

4. Let the song decide. It knows best.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

BassGuy21:

For "traditional" rock-type bands, yes, a bass guitar is essential. I don't believe that it is in most other music.

You don't think in other music? Bass not essential? What is this you are putting into my brain? Think jazz, my friend. Where would jazz be without bass? It's the (better) half of the rhythm section. This is true in any music. The bass is always better.

And blues? Bass is essential, my friend.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

You don't think in other music? Bass not essential? What is this you are putting into my brain? Think jazz, my friend. Where would jazz be without bass? It's the (better) half of the rhythm section. This is true in any music. The bass is always better.

And blues? Bass is essential, my friend.

Sorry, I was thinking more Pop oriented at that moment. So yes, you're right. However, you completely missed the point I was trying to make. That the mindset and rhythmic ability of the "Bassist" is more important than the bass itself. That is why the bass is unnecessary, it's merely the oft chosen outlet for the bassists music.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

I voted Add to. It's simple and clear in my head. Bass (the instrument) doesn't have to be present in a song for that song to work. Take an acoustic song played just on the guitar and a vocalist, sure both the guitar and vox have bass (depth) in them, but they can do the job perfectly well without anything being added.

Of course I'm not gonna promote this approach. Any talk of acoustic only songs in the band I play in and there'll be a riot ;)

CupMcmali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I was wondering if real bassists like yourselves would think that a bass just adds "depth" to your song or if it's a necessity? Personally I'm hearing bass lines more and more the harder I look but most bass lines you can't even hear. So what do you think? Add on or needed?
Somke years ago, my father composed a song (theme song) for a Tele-movie. It was about a storey of a village and ....(etc. etc. can't remember). However, what I remember is that his theme song didn't have a bass played. It was voiced and completed and there was no bass. The director asked me my opinion of the song and asked what I would suggest if I think I needed to. I listened to the song several times and thought the only suggestion I could give would be to give it a depth, may be by adding the bass. Then again, the electric bass would have ruined it since it was very simple and innocent feeling though out with few instruments which also gave kind of an ethnic sound to it. I thought may be there is no necessity for bass. I responded to the director by saying that the song sounds perfect for the theme. It depends on if one wants a depth or otherwise. Its subjective and complicated to arrive at a conclusion through a poll.

So that was a bit of a incident which I thought may be related to this argument.

Odd and interestng thread. Question may not be phrased as well as possible and I think that may be the source of most of the disagreement.

Yeah, the bass adds alot to most songs and situations.

Yeah, some songs are the bass part. Or rather it's as recognizable as the melody - Come Together, My Sharona(blush), just about anything by Stanley Clarke and the list goes on.

Some songs sound great stripped down to Acoustic guit and vox. It's all there and you just don't miss the bass.

But some songs are defined by the lack of bass. Think When Doves Cry. Extreme example of knowing when not to play.

D.

Archived