Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Showing Off

conguiño

I know many of you bad asses will argue that I'm saying this 'cause I suck; well I do suck ;) (at playing bass of course), but IMHO I think it's very annoying when ANY band member pays more attention to how flashy his playing is than to whether of not his lines sound good and in sync with the band.

I'm not saying that emphasizing on one instrument is bad. I love lead guitar shit like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and SRV. A lot of the Marcus Miller songs I love are all bass. But regardless of whether or not a certain part of a song or the whole song focuses on one instrument it's so much more pleasant to hear a really tight band where you can appreciate how well each part complements the others.

Does it hurt?

Only when I'm awake.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happen to agree with you. As you pointed out, some acts are built on that premise, showcasing the "star's" virtuosity (Satriani etc.)...but usually, I like to hear a cohesive band effort.

That said, it's really rare for that to happen, as the public seems to want a "star". In most bands, that "star" turns out to be the vocalist..

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Sometimes it's vital to show off; particularly in guitar shops or when some ignoramus speaks condescendingly about bassists. I learned to play the guitar intro to "Purple Haze" in order to shut up cocky guitarists. Some early Chili Peppers also does the trick.

As for gigs, I've always found that if each band member gets to play one piece that shows off their talents somewhere in the show (not necessarily a solo), they'll be less likely to feel the need to show off for the sake of it elsewhere during the show.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sorry, rule of thumb is NEVER show off. Play the song, the gig the lesson. Never play shit just to demo technique.

If the "slack jaw" in question doesn't recognize your time, tone, musicality, precsicion or soul whith in a musical context....fuck 'em. They're a waste of fresh air and not any sort of player.

NEVER lower your self to that level.

Be musical.

D.

I've seen people show off, and I've seen people inspired. Usually the inspired stuff is great because it is good playing and supports the song.

Ah me. I confess I can't tell the difference with my own playing. I'm not the "look at me" type (well, most of the time), and I figure nobody hears the bass part anyway. But I have felt inspired at times to do more than a basic part. Does it support the song? Am I showing off? I can't tell - I'm just playing what (to me) sounds like it belongs, like what I have to play. They haven't thrown me out of any bands yet, so I guess it's not too bad....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I couldn't agree more, the song is the only thing that matters. Play it, don't wreck it. If certain people wanna focus on one player that's their problem. Get Stevie Ray whatever to play a stadium (ahem, how can music translate to 50000000000 people) with no bass, drums, keyboards etc....yeah the vast majority would leave (personally I'm sick as Fukc, so I'd stay just to watch him die a death ;) )

By all means look good when playing live, it's visual entertainment too.....but have the star on a podium with a spotlight ???

Naaaaa

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Right on guys. To shut-up the show offs that think I'm not doing enough (I only do it when it feels right, or else it is totally out of place and kills the song), I get a steady stream of gigs with good musicians and let them sit in the audience and watch.

somebody needs to explain the vital and understated difference between soloing and showing off. Without this crucial difference, the last 50 years of jazz would be a long wanking fest. Of course it's not- the jazz cats are simply taking time to find their voice in a song. In less improv.-oriented music, soloing is less employed, and fewer people can do it well. Those that can are soloing, those that can't are showing off.

I'll break with the trend. I love to watch someone better than me just sit there and go off on bass, or any other insrument. If you can do this and entertain people, then there's nothing wrong with it. But the minute that people stop caring, you'd better stop and start playing a song.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

How old is he? I used to be an immature show-off...

As soon as I had some chops I started using 'em all the damn time...I just happened to start listening to players that made me go "Wow, he's not playing that many notes...why does it sound so cool?"

Yup, fine line. But as stated - Are you or aren't you playing the song

Some stuff calls for a busy part. Sometimes an accrobatic solo is just the thing. Do you know those time? Ya better if you're gonna lay it on the table.

Otherwise yer just an ass. If you're under 21 most of us will cut you some slack. Other wise...blow be. You haven't impressed anyone and in my opinion ya slipped 7 notches.

Sorry, hepnurecords is in a bad mood.

D.

I guess 'cause I'm 45 now, the days of showboating went out with the ego quite awhile back. Was a time when Stanley Clarke was my man, and I'd throw in his stuff (some things I couldn't do) to impress myself, the girls and other musicians.

My mindset changed, I don't really know when, but now I just love hanging in the back layin' down that big phat groove, throwin' in some fancier stuff sparingly. I get off on the simpler lines, giving that hypnotic quality to a song.

I still love listening to the showboaters. Man, so much technique out there that blows me away. But I'm very content in my position as a groove player.

We all develop differently, depending on character and circumstance, and the cool thing is....it's all good.

Now where's my geritol?.... :)

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

There is a time and a place for everything.I'm by far anyone who belongs hot dogging on a gig and can't stand when some guys I play with put me on the spot when that's not really my gig.I feel silly when the spotlight is on me or someone is shouting my name while I take a solo in a song.Sometimes it's fun but not all the time.

I like to let the guitar players go off on a trip and I'll play little stuff with the drummer and groove while the solos are going on.To me that's more fun than blowing chops or slapping in a Black Crows tune.

One of my latest gigs was with a monster guitar player who decided to bring his monster bass playing friend on a few gigs.The guy has chops that were amazing so I figured it was okay to let him sit in since he said he knew some tunes off the set list.This guy got up and played no bass lines at all it was all technique and chops.By the end of the second song the drummer grabbed one of his friends and asked him to play because he couldn't stand playing with this guy.

I'm not a great bass player but the only reason why I get called is because I play bass like bass is to be played.

I'll play in this order.

The song

The music

Myself - last on the list of importance.

Interesting to know that 12 notes, 12 keys and 3 basic chord types made so much music.

You guys need to understand...

Chops and taste DO NOT HAVE TO BE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE!!!!

There are plenty of players out there with tons of flash who use it so sparingly, you'd never know until they whip it out when the situation calls for it.

This is what I originally meant by "Play the SONG, not the bass." Technique is GOOD. Technique without taste is BAD.

Remember, technique is MORE THAN SPEED. Technique is also about ARTICULATION...it's about knowing how to play particular passage (slow OR fast) cleanly with a good sound and strong rhythm.

Under no circumstances should you fall into the "Oh, well, those chops guys are all show-offs, so I'm not going to work on my technique," attitude. That causes people to get sloppy and start making excuses for themselves. Chops are NOT a means to an end...they're merely a tool.

End lesson. :D

If you have to resort showing off, then you're not a good musician , rather a good instrumentalist. I just let the show-offs play their musical masturbation while I stick to the groove and keep the foundation rock solid. I have been doing a lot of studio work as of late and I hear "I'm better than he is, why does he get all the gigs?" The producer/studio owner always replies "he plays the songs, not his ego." I really like the paydays, not the number of notes I can play.

Archived