Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for an extension cab. Any Ideas?

Kanos415

So two years ago for Christmas I received a Workingman's 15 combo from SWR. I'm fairly happy with the sound of the amp, but I just can't seem to be heard in the mix. If i try to turn up the bass or the gain to push through, it will obviously start limiting. What I'd like to do now is to buy an extension cab, hopefully something with a bit more punch. I can't decide between a 2x10 or a 4x10, but the extension from the combo amp is 8 ohms so that's one factor. I'm eventually planning on buying a head and using this new cab with that. My price range is between 400-700. I'm looking for something with a bright and punchy sound without sounding to harsh and metallic (I just can't get into Hartke). What would you recommend as the best value in a 2 or 4x10 to supplement the combo for now but still be upgradable later?

On a side note, is it just me or is the Workingman's 15 combo just their 200 watt and the cab?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an SWR Goliath Jr. 2X10 8 ohm cab. It works great in many situations. I think it woud be a nice addition to your 1X15.

I use it with my WM10 for a 3X10 100 watt amp. Works great for jazz quartet gigs where I don't need a ton of power. Gigs where I need it, I usually go through the PA.

It's basically the cab of a Super Redhead, so if you added a 350 watt amp to it in the future, you'd have a nice little rig.

Lots of great 2x10 cabs, which I think would be nice with your 1x15 combo. Steve's suggestion of an 8-ohm Goliath Jr. 2x10 from SWR sounds good to me.

In the future you could couple that 2x10 with a nice head and eventually add another 2x10, 4x10, or 1x15.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

The more I look at it the more I'm leaning toward the Goliath Jr. 2x10. It's affordable enough to let me go ahead and be thinking about a head for this spring (looking like the swr 350x is a good option), and even looking at cabs to add to that set up after the head. My follow up question is in regards to the Goliath Jr.'s impedence. It says on musiciansfriend.com that it has 4 or 8 ohm impedence. Does anyone know if this is a switch or just an option to order two separate cabs, one at 4 or one at 8. Thanks for the help.

I'd recommend anSWR Workingman's 4x10T as an extension cab for your WM 15 combo. You will not be disappointed, I assure you.

I have one that I run using a separate amp in my stack, but the cab is very punchy and deep sounding by itself. It will take your combo amp to a whole new level.

http://herne.tripod.com/bassrig.html

Archived