Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You guys ever get fed up?

such_a_noob

I just started learning a few months ago, and I already got fed up. I couldn't seem to get anything right, and the guy at the music store who said he gives lessons hasn't been around lately. (He had a kid, so I can forgive that....) But trying to teach myself sucks. Any ideas? I just got back into it, woke up this mornign and all I wanted to do was pluck until my fingers bled.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I can see where you're coming from.

I used to think the same way about another certain instrument I play(oboe, don't laugh). I never thought that way about bass.

I'm purely self-taught so far, just by watching all the greats playing, and train my ear. Do you use any books or anything to try and learn stuff on your own? I just goof around until I get something that sounds decent.

I like teaching myself, it's a real challenge,but I love it.

Well,now that I think about it......

About a year ago,which was about 5 months after I starting playing, I was jamming to White Room by Cream. It's got all these insane riffs during the fading solo. I was really upset,because my fingers wouldn't play fast. I had pretty much always done it perfect, but this time I couldn't. Same thing for Ramble On. Fingers got stuck and I couldn't play very fast at all. It drove me crazy,but practice makes perfect.

Just keep at it, and you'll never regret it

Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

I still get frustrated with my playing, and I've been at it for 8 years.

If you're truly driven, you'll never be satisfied. Every time you climb a step, there's another one in front of you.

Nope, never get fed up.

Every since I was a young child I have wanted to practice my instrument.

Not being able to play something just makes me want to practice more.

Seeing somebody great play just makes me want to play more.

Learning an instrument is a long process with peaks and plateaus. In my opinion it takes at least ten years. I've always known that.

Sometimes I set goals for myself that I know will take several years to achieve.

I have spent many years of my life practicing six hours a day.

I mean, what else would I be doing in that time?

Learning an instrument is difficult. Giving yourself a lot of grief doesn't make it any easier.

The challenge is to find ways to make playing and practicing fun. Play at least one thing every day that's SO FUN that you can't help but have a smile on your face while you're doing it. Then try to keep that spirit of enjoyment throughout the lesson of gig.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I've been playing for almost 15 years and I still learn new stuff all the time. You should never stop learning. I do get frustrated, and I was at your point after a few months. We want to be good right away. You just need patience. No one on this board can make you practice. No one anywhere can make you practice. You're the only one who can make you practice. How good do you want to be? Set goals for yourself. Big goals. Do everything you can to reach those goals. Don't just settle for being just "ok." Just keep trying. You'll be glad you never gave up.

If you get tired of practicing something technical, got out a cd of a song you like and learn bass part. Not only are you training your ears and figuring out what other bass players play but you are also building repertoire. Pick something where you can clearly hear the bass in the mix so you're not straining to listen. I do this with my beginner students when they get sick of reading, technique, theory etc. It's a bit of a respite.

Get some friends to play with. Bass is not a solo instrument (at least in the beginning) and it helps to have that kind of goal.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I remember when I started out (too many years to mention....ugh!!) trying to sit and work out some bassline, get disgusted after a few days, put it down, try it again days or weeks later, etc. So you're not the only one to go thru this, believe me.

I remember two things throwing me off (well, three being my lack of ability:). One was that the tone of my bass didn't match the recorded sound. This difference made it frustrating as when I think I had the notes in the bassline, it didn't SOUND like what I was hearing. Frustrating. The second thing was the bass was badly in need of a set-up. I'd get some notes to a bassline and the higher up the neck I'd go, the more it went out of tune, which added to the frustration.

So as best you can, use the tone controls on your bass and amp to closely match the tone quality of what you're trying to learn. Also, if you can, have someone make sure the bass is setup for correct intonation (note accuracy) and the strings and neck are setup properly. Plenty of info in this forum and on the web to help you with all of that (I strongly recommend you learning to do all this yourself at some point in time). Or take it to a friend or guitar tech to get it into shape for ya.

Once you dial in a close tone, and the notes are playing properly, it's not near as frustrating anymore, and the only holdback now is your technical ability to play, which is gonna improve. If it didn't, none of us here would be playing.

Anyway, just wanted to throw out my experience with Frustration: The Early Years.

So for your own technical ability I was wondering, what were the last things you and your teacher were working on? What kind of music do you want to play? Can you already slowly pick out notes for a bassline or a song, or is this the frustration you're talking about?

Keep on pluckin', my man. It's in ya!

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Just to keep it fun, and for something completely different, try learning some lines from a TV show or movie.

I used to use those during gigs to play a little 'Name that Tune' segment with the audience for free T-Shirts and stuff. Loads of fun running favorite basslines from TV or movies.

Just two more cents....

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Yeah... What they all said. Just play. Stick with it. You'll get there.

Remember, nothing truly worth having is easy to get.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Jeff Porcaro's been quoted as saying "My time sucks." :eek:

Jeff Porcaro was probably one of the finest studio drummers in the industry, and he still took a long, hard look at his playing every day to look for things he could improve upon.

Don't be so down on yourself. Learning something new should be fun!

Ditto and double-ditto. :D Making it fun for yourself is part of the challenge... Finding other people who are just starting to play with is great, and chances are, you will all learn alot more together... Besides that, just making up your own little melodies and lines is entertaining... especially when you start to get fed up with trying to learn some of your favorite tunes. ;) Half the fun is ripping off other peoples tricks and techniques. :thu: These can come from anywhere, not just from other bassists... 1/2 of all the "tricks" I have, I copped from my g**tar player! :D Horns (i.e. tubas, etc.) have great voicings to try and emulate, and a keyboardists left hand can be both an inspiration and a nightmare... Just do what it takes to keep it interesting, and you wont regret it... Playing bass is one of those things you can carry with you throughout your entire life... :D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

I think it is important to continue to find ways to learn AND enjoy your music, as noted by some of the previous posters. If learning theory and practicing scales has you down, try reading Bass Player magazine or some other music publication that will inspire you. I have enjoyed writing music when I am tired of practicing. Try buying a Fake book with chords and melody lines and write your own bass line to some songs that you like to play. This has some advantages over just transcribing a bass line off a CD in that you become more creative (of course, it doesn't help with ear training). Try downloading Finale Notepad (www.codamusic.com). It's a free music notation program that also allows you to play back the music you write (and play along with it - this is better than any metronome or drum machine with regard to helping you improve your timing). Also, I think it is important to be bold in going out to play with others. It is easy to feel self-conscious about playing with more experienced musicians when you are new to the bass, but your learning curve will steepen as soon as you do. You will also find some urgency and excitement in learning new songs if you know you have the opportunity to play them with fellow musicians in the near future.

I'm sorry...but I do plan to get fed up this Thursday. :D

Other than that, yep, I get fed up all the time, most of the time it's a good experience, because it can come as I'm getting out of a lull...in other words, the "being fed up" inspires me to break out of my rut.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Don't run too fast...we'd all love to be much better, and while I want everything NOW. I know it'll come in it's own time (if it ever comes at all?) If I don't get to where I want, I'll have at least enjoyed the journey.

Relax, relax, relax.

P.S Failing that, you could sell your soul to that guy the vatican made up!

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven (that place the vatican also made up) :freak:

Archived