Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drome and Gorm

wraub

No, not a Nordic comedy duo ( "Did you try the lutefisk?" "That was no lutefisk! That was my wife!") but actually an impressive looking set of combo amps from EBS.

Drome-12 or 15 inch with 2 inch tweeter, 150 W.

Gorm-2x10, 4x10 or 1x15 with 2 inch tweeter, 350 W.

I have not heard these, but have played through the HD350 through Epifani and liked that. Combos do differ, though, so I turn to you...

Ever played through either of these combos? If so, pros/cons? I think I'm looking at getting the Gorm GET 210, but factory specs only have it going from 70-20kHz. And it's not exactly a lightweight, either.

No word on price yet, looked at their website but couldn't find that. Anyone?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo, green one, I was mucho impressed with the HD 350, for sure. Seemed well made, sounded pretty sweet, but as stated, the cab may have had something to do with that. I was wondering about EBS combo related stuff, stories, prices, and the like.

Also, any idea what kind(s) of drivers they use? Proprietary, or the usual Eminence suspects?

Thanks.

Peace,

wraub

wraub: Yo, green one, I was mucho impressed with the HD 350, for sure. Seemed well made, sounded pretty sweet, but as stated, the cab may have had something to do with that.
I'm thinking they sound good through any cab that you think sounds good, period.

I was wondering about EBS combo related stuff, stories, prices, and the like.
I think they are a little higher priced than some of the domestics. But lots of guys who have used them have said good things about them, I really haven't heard any squawking : }

Also, any idea what kind(s) of drivers they use? Proprietary, or the usual Eminence suspects?
Dunno. It just wasn't an issue to me. I got plugged into the combos at Bass Northwest, and they seemed to be real quality sounds for each weight class. And they could dish it out without sonic side effects. Actually that later had me bidding on EBS preamps on eBay. Their preamps really can shape tone and seem to have incredible headroom and some great features.

The proprietary/Eminence thing is a red herring anyway; Eminence builds speakers in all categories under their own name, as well as doing the OEM thing - again, to any spec/quality desired. The name itself signifies little: it's the matching of the right driver/spec to the intended job that is paramount.

Forgot one correspondence I had after hearing EBS combos. I ran into a guy on a forum that was a Five or Six bassist and was using the Gorm on top of their 15" Active Cab - basically a powered sub - and he was really sold after having tried quite a few Name rigs. He wanted to get a more even and full low end with better tonal matching between E and B strings.

The specs thing kind of threw me after seeing so many inflated freq numbers from others. But I grilled this guy pretty thoroughly, and he seemed to have both an ear and an understanding of the issues. For its size/performance I think it's a pretty good way to juice up a combo or take a punchy 410 rig and get some booty. If one comes along on eBay when I am financially in phase, well - I'm right on it ; }

Yeah, I agree, the whole spec thing is not my thing, I usually just listen and judge for myself. I included the numbers from the catalog for reference only.

Incidentally, I did some landline research, and Rudy's in NYC quoted me these $:

Drome 1x12-1100.00

1x15-1400.00

Gorm 2x10-1800.00

which is a lot of ching for a combo, by any stretch. And they have none in stock, which means spec order, so this will probably be an ebay thing for me as well, when I can seriously consider it.

They even have a 9 volt phantom power system built in... (sigh)

Peace,

wraub

I haven't played any of the EBS amps, cabs, or combos, but their pedals kick butt.

GB mentioned BassNW. They carry EBS stuff, and it might be worth getting some quotes from them -- they also have a commitment to beat any legitimate offer you get somewhere else. Paying shipping from WA w/ no tax would almost certainly be less than the NYC taxes you'd pay from Rudy's.

I think the Gorm 2x10 combo looks tasty, and the powered subs are also supposed to be solid (thus the ability to grow the rig later w/ a 1x15 sub as discussed above). However, owning an SWR Super Redhead has convinced me that I'd rather have a separate head and 2x10 cab. (And I own a station wagon!) That Gorm combo might be a pain in the ass to lug around NYC. What about the HD350 head and then a 2x10 cab (EBS or another brand)? I think I've seen more EBS heads (HD350 and Fafner) on eBay than I've seen Gorm or Drome combos.

You've probably thought through a lot of this stuff already, but I figured I throw it out there anyway.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yup, Sweets, all part of the equation. I may try that BassNW thing out, thanks for that. I also have a contact at the Co. which imports the EBS line, although I have been unable to contact him. Hopefully I can get a better deal from him.

Maybe as an endorser... :)

I was trying to get away from the head + cab thing, as the weight thing is definitely a consideration here. Oh well...

That does give me a thought for a different thread, though...

Thanks again.

Peace,

wraub

I used to do the head + cab thing, then went to the 2x10 combo. I also have a 1x12 combo as a practice amp at home. I think as far as combos go, 1x10 and 1x12 are manageable to cart around, 1x15 and 2x10 (depending on the dimensions) can be hellacious. I hear nice things about the portability of the Nemesis 2x10 combo. I also played the Ampeg Portabass head and 2x10 cab at a local shop out here. Sounded surprisingly good. However, all this stuff is not EBS, and you're obviously weighing (no pun intended) the sound you liked from the HD350 against portability issues.

That's neither here nor there, but I do think that when time and finances allow I will sell my Sup' Redhead and return to a head + cab (1x12 or 2x10 or 2 1x12s) arrangement.

spreadluv

I have played the 1x15 combo,350 watts.I will tell you id not cut through two guitars and drums playing Allman covers.I was disappointed and so was the studio owwner.He replaced it with a GK head and 2x12 Messa bottom.Much improved.For the price it is comparable to the SWR Working man 15,next to it-That cut through better,but no cigar.IMHO.

GB beat me to the bassaddik thing. He can probably give you an assessment that's worth listening to.

For that money, there are a lot of high quality options. How about a Raven Labs 2 channel pre (has the 9V phantom) to start (Bob G has them for $299 I think), and then pick a nice clean light power amp, and a Berg cab of your choice (OK, maybe I'll let you buy a diff cab...). Small (one dolly trip) but expandable for bigger venues...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Sweets, the weight is a major factor, as I can just keep the rig I have now if I just want Heavy.

Thanks, russfingers, that's what I was looking for. Useful info, there.

Anyone else?

Peace,

wraub

HD350 head is about 20 lbs. The EBS 210 cab is about 55 lbs. The EBS et350 combo is about 75 lbs. Going w/ separates or the combo yield the same weight, but the separates may be less bulky to cart around (e.g., navigating a skinny staircase). Go with a different manufacturer for the cab, and you ought to be able to get a lighter weight 2x10 (or 1x12 if that's your druthers).

Wish I could help in terms of impressions of the quality of the gear. Sorry, boss.

Peace.

spreadluv

It's all good, Sweets, you're always much help. I'm just confused is all, 'cuz since I started this thread, I have shifted gears, so to speak. I'm thinking about shipping my amp and cab out here. Considerably cheaper, squared! And I may just possibly be able to have an engineer of my acquaintance rack mount it for me. I'm sure without the wood case and cast iron handle, it would slim down some, and it's stoopid loud and mad sweet, as the kids say.

Now I gotta find specs somewhere. Everywhere I look online I find different numbers as to wattage/ohms, and would want to perhaps rethink my cabinet situation.

And Tom, thanks for the buying assist there, but, again, I think I have out-thought myself, with the help of all y'all, and am now other directed, as the mental health workers say.

Peace,

wraub

I'm pretty sure that I have a much harder time making up my mind than almost everyone. At least, I think I do.

It was just GAS, but when I got to thinking about Sweets and his weight math, it all clicked together.

I'm much better now.

Thanks again to all.

Peace,

wraub

At least you dont have my rig. My head weighs 40lbs(in my rack case with my other junk it closer to 50lbs), my 4x10 weighs 95lbs, and my 1x15 weighs about 65lbs... Try hauling all that to and from a second floor apartment. Good times. :D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Originally posted by Jason Hoyt:

At least you dont have my rig. My head weighs 40lbs(in my rack case with my other junk it closer to 50lbs), my 4x10 weighs 95lbs, and my 1x15 weighs about 65lbs... Try hauling all that to and from a second floor apartment. Good times. :D

Damn! At least you're a big fellah -- in some earlier post you mentioned being 6'+ and 200+ lbs.

Maybe you could hook up some kind of pulley system down from the window...

spreadluv

Originally posted by wraub:

I have shifted gears, so to speak. I'm thinking about shipping my amp and cab out here. Considerably cheaper, squared! And I may just possibly be able to have an engineer of my acquaintance rack mount it for me. I'm sure without the wood case and cast iron handle, it would slim down some, and it's stoopid loud and mad sweet, as the kids say.

Now I gotta find specs somewhere. Everywhere I look online I find different numbers as to wattage/ohms, and would want to perhaps rethink my cabinet situation.

That sounds like a plan. If you've got the pesos, getting a smaller cab than your 1x15 might really work for you, and then if you needed the extra boo-tay you could bring out the big 15".

spreadluv

Its all in how you lift really. If I pull the cabs close to my chest (making sure I lift with my legs to pick'em up in the first place), and they aren't so bad. :) I really would like to get an old 4x12 guitar cabinet(maybe even a slanted one), and put 4 high powered 12" bass speakers in it. At least then, I'd only have to haul ONE cabinet around! :D Probably look decent next to the guitar rig too! :thu:

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by wraub:

[qb]That sounds like a plan. If you've got the pesos, getting a smaller cab than your 1x15 might really work for you, and then if you needed the extra boo-tay you could bring out the big 15".

Yeah, with the pesos I save by not buying the EBS, I can get mine shipped here, get it racked, and still afford a 2x10 cab.

Pretty neat, huh?

Peace,

wraub

um ...

I can't tell what this thread is about now. Are buying a new Swedish combo? Or schlanging an ancient rig across the country?

wraub - I've been meaning to pitch in on your assorted posts r.e. amp situation, because I think I was pretty much where you are now when I first moved to NYC. I had a 1x15 and a 4x10 in Los Angeles, and a 350W head with me in NYC. And some gigs to play, doggone it.

I bought a Eden 210XLT. To tell you the truth, that was all I needed as far as punch - every club I've played in the City that has needed more has had an amp that has been enough (even if I wouldn't have wanted to take it home).

So I shoulda armtwisted my friend in L.A. into selling my 2 cabs for me. But NOOOOO ... I shipped those puppies out here - (not too expensive, in fact). Now I have a 2x10, a 4x10, and a 1x15. All great cabs, but I can't imagine EVER using anything more than the 410 in a club, and as I said the 210 is more than enough for most rooms here.

... Then I got really fed up with trying to struggle my 210 and amp head into a frigging taxicab, (with 2 basses and an electric cello strapped to my back). So I launched off on the quest for the ultimate combo amp.

... and ended up with an SWR WM10 (!). What I realized is that I've got everything I need if I need big-rig sound. And no combo I've played has "real" big-rig sound. Remember we tried that EA 1x12 at Sadowsky? And remember what we said? "Hey - that thing has got a lot of bottom end FOR A COMBO." I found that, with combo amps, I always felt as if: "hey - you jump pretty good ... for a short guy."

So the only thing I'm really going to use a combo for is a gig that I know primo-sound is not an issue (cafe/small-club, with singer-songwriter who is really mostly interested in hearing herself/himself anyway), where it's really not worth dragging even the 210+head out. There's just no point (and in my case, not nearly enough money) in trying to get a combo that sounds great and is lightweight, because: 1.) it doesn't exist, and 2.) if it does I can't afford it.

Whew.

Okay so my advice after all this is to get yourself a SOLID, USED solid-state head, and a kick-ass 210 cab (I love my Eden). Be not tempted by delusions of finding a combo that you can one-hand up the subway steps and still sound pro.

[And if you want to come over to my rehearsal space in Williamsburg to try out any combination of GK800RB with 210/410/115, bring your axe, and we'll do it.]

My 75 cents.

Originally posted by music-man:

um ...

I can't tell what this thread is about now. Are buying a new Swedish combo? Or schlanging an ancient rig across the country?

It's emblematic of my continuing confusion, that's all. It's now about the schlanging, as you say.

Okay so my advice after all this is to get yourself a SOLID, USED solid-state head, and a kick-ass 210 cab (I love my Eden). Be not tempted by delusions of finding a combo that you can one-hand up the subway steps and still sound pro.

[And if you want to come over to my rehearsal space in Williamsburg to try out any combination of GK800RB with 210/410/115, bring your axe, and we'll do it.]

My 75 cents.

That's why I'm shipping mine here, It's as solid a solid state rig as has been made, IMO. And a 2x10 cab will be the first purchase, for sure. Still would like to check out your space sometime...

Peace,

wraub

Archived