Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 Bass players you should know of REGARDLESS of your age...

deanmass

Originally posted by mzeger:

I like Dan South's list, with one possible change:

Add Stanley Clarke, possibly drop Wooten (please, hold your booing until the end). Stanley is the "First Bassist" of contemporary jazz, a superstar in the genre before Jaco, Victor, etc. Plays electric and URB. Innovative use of piccolo bass. Created gear lust for expensive boutique basses, i.e. Alembic.

Yeah, you're right. Stanley should be on the list for his technique, for his vision, for his use of advanced bass technology (Alembics, piccolos), and for pretty much defining the fusion genre.

Phil Lesh, Jack Casady, and Joe Osborn deserve honorable mention as well. Joe's played on a LOT of hits over the years.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like these lists. Especially if it inspires me (or someone else) to listen to someone they haven't heard before.

Thanks Adrian, for including Paul Jackson.

How about a few of my influences (showing my age here),

Willie Dixon

Duck Dunn

David Hood

Tommy Cogbill

Ronnie Baker

Bernard Edwards

Robert "Kool" Bell

Carl Radle

Harvey Brooks

Jim Fielder

with all the mention of the family man, nobody thought of robbie shakespeare? as for larry graham, i don't know if it's possible to be godfather to something you gave birth to. the man invented slap... IN CHURCH.

there's gotta be a washtub player we're leaving out somewhere. and what about the jug? that's a fairly low end instrument (har har). and i think at this point i'll cut off greenboy by pointing out that there has NEVER been a sarrusophone player (contrabass or otherwise) of merit.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Bastid E: with all the mention of the family man, nobody thought of robbie shakespeare?
Sure, open up another can of worms ; }

i think at this point i'll cut off greenboy by pointing out that there has NEVER been a sarrusophone player (contrabass or otherwise) of merit.
Actually there probably has been. But s/he's DEAD. Things come and go... Hey, I see a promising curl of surf up ahead...

Originally posted by Bastid E:

with all the mention of the family man, nobody thought of robbie shakespeare? as for larry graham, i don't know if it's possible to be godfather to something you gave birth to. the man invented slap... IN CHURCH.

That's kinda what I meant. Inventor doesn't sound as COOL as Godfather. :D

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

But what about such players as Mike Dirnt?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? I wonder, did anybody mention him, yet?(Now, patrick, go to the first post) Then come back) Anyways, this is kind of getting really pointless and sad. Here's an example:

Hey, what the f--k! You stupid mentally challenged morons, you forgot____________! How the hell can you forget him!

Just kiddn but isnt this getting dumb? (I agree with the posts above me about it turning into a pointless, rambling on of lists. Here's my advice:

Learn from yourself and your mistakes, but also learn from those better than you.

JDL :freak: yeah, you're all freaks, not me..........

You can't be serious about Mike Dirnt.

He's sloppy, you can hear the other strings ringing when he plays, every 14 year old student of mine has copped all his licks within a month of taking up the instrument.

Yeah, I suppose that means he's influential.

How come no one has mentioned Gene Simmons?

What about Sid Vicious?

This is hard to do. So, here in no particular order is:

Bill Dickens

Jaco Pastorius

Alain Caron

Stanley Clark

Victor Wooten

Nathan East

Brian Bromberg

Marcus Miller

Mark Egan

Tom Barney

Humbly,

Whappo

Originally posted by abm:

Given the range that has appeared so far, Mark King of Level 42 has got to be mentioned. That guy can rip, and write.

And sing while doing it...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I like Jeremyc's taste in players. SOME of the players that most influenced me and should be listened to by everyone, regardless of age are:

• Roy Estrada / Orejon
  • Marc Boston / Rockette Morton
  • James Jamerson
  • "Duck" Dunn
  • Willie Dixon
  • Ray Brown
  • Charles Mingus
  • Carl Radle
  • Jack Bruce
  • Jerry Jemmott
  • "Family Man" Barrett
  • John Paul Jones
  • Sir Paul

Geez. There's so many more.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

He's sloppy, you can hear the other strings ringing when he plays, every 14 year old student of mine has copped all his licks within a month of taking up the instrument.

What about Sid Vicious?

SID?

I don't know about that, Sid stunk it up big time for the most part. Heck they even had their original bassist come in and play over his tracks. He was the icon of the punk movement though.

Iaian

San Andreas,

The hope to save our nation by turning Las Vegas into a seaside community. ;)

I hope everyone realized that I was joking about Simmons and Vicious. However, anyone that inspires young people to start playing bass deserves a few points in my book.

And JDL, check out the low B string thread if you want to see some really dumb posts. The best way to get rid of a thread you don't like is to ignore it and start another one on a higher level.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

What about Sid Vicious?

Sid Vicious? Who do you think my avatar is a picture of?!? :freak::D He wasnt even plugged in most of the time(for a good reason), but at this point, he is more of an icon/symbol... kinda sad that he is really -considering the path he took... :(

Technique aside, Mike Dirnt does have a talent for writing incredibly catchy simple bass lines. So does Joe Gittleman of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Matt Freeman of Rancid... Doesnt make them Jaco, James, or Edgar, but they sure are a damn sight better than Sid ;) And again, I am going to lobby another vote for Jerry Only of the Misfits and Cliff Burton of Metallica. Honorable mention to Duff Mckeganfor holding a song together and Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue for writing many platinum songs, BOTH music and lyrics (cheesy as they may be)... :thu:

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

... and new infectious grooves/suicidal tendencies phenom 23 y/o Josh Paul.. I think even you could respect him Jeremy ;):D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

[QB]David Hungate: of Toto and session work[QB]

I thought that Mike Pocaro was the bassist for Toto? How about these:

Gary King

Francisco Centeno

Michael Henderson

Rodney "Skeets" Curtis

Neil Steubenhaus

Verdine White

Pino Palladino

Aston "Family Man" Barrett

Phil Upchurch (check out Grover Washington, Jr.'s Earth Tones)

George Porter, Jr.

It is from Blues that all that may be called American music derives it's most distinctive characteristics.

-James Weldon Johnson

Hungate was the original bassist for Toto and a top LA studio guy...his parts on Boz Skagg's records are enough to put him "in the hall of fame". He got tired of the rock and roll and LA lifestyle and moved to Nashville where he became a top Nashville studio guy.

Phil Upchurch also played on George Benson's "Breezin".

OK, I'll check out Suicidal Tendencies.

Ding Ding Ding.

David Hungate was the original bassist for Toto, played on the first 4 albums. He left the band after Toto IV was released (that breakthrough album with Africa and Rosanna...I remember it well.)

David was replaced by Mike Porcaro, who was the brother of Jeff Porcaro and Steve Porcaro; they were already in the band.

There were many personnel changes over the years and lots of various things. Heres a link to the 1999 website, which discusses the history. http://www.toto99.com/index1.html

Actually, this band is incredible, extremely influential and fun to listen to. Like so many other bands with real solid time but not much sex appeal (Atlanta Rhythm Section for one) they seem to be a mere footnote in musical history, unfortunately.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I have to add four more names to my list for their sheer technical virtuosity. Some of these players have been mentioned previously, some have not, but to me these guys represent the highest level of bass technique.

On upright: Edgar Meyer and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen.

On electric: David Hungate and Jeff Berlin.

Archived