Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

amp investment

Cowbell

Yeah yeah, another amp question. Right now I've got a Fender Bassman 60, which I am gonna sell to get my next amp. I'm thinking about the SWR Workingman 2004 head and the 2x10 cab. I heard on the site that they came out with this,except in a combo. Dunno how much that is yet. I only want something maybe 200 watts. I was also thinking about that Carvin 2x10 combo, but that's a little more weight and power than I want.

So, I guess my question is, what is the best rig I could buy for under,say, $800? I'm not into slap that much, so I don't want something that is made for slap. So any ideas that you guys have would be great!

Thanks guys

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have much to offer you as to your query, but...

In deference to DaveBrownBass, I say you get post of the day, just for the avatar and sig...

;)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

I don't have much to offer you as to your query, but...

In deference to DaveBrownBass, I say you get post of the day, just for the avatar and sig...

I second that!! :thu:
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Post of the day to CowbellAllen:

And buy the Eden Nemesis 1x12 combo. A whole lot of bang for a little buck.

Hmmmm...is that a pun or Freudian slip?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

You gotta hear them, no two ways about that. Never buy an amp "sound unheard."

and buy the way, workingman's series great rocks for the money- it's what I play (the 4X10T, anywat)

and buy the way, gotta love that avatar

(I don't know, guys, I could go more cowbell, and bass. Definately more bass.)

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Nemesis 1x12 or 2x10 might do the job for you. Rated at 225W RMS. The "Squier" of Eden is probably an inaccurate analogy. Nemesis stuff has really nice sound.

I'm not sure what the Ashdown Electric Blue and Ashdown MAG combos are going for these days, but they're probably worth a listen.

Go out with your bass and test out a variety of brands, models, etc. And remember, some of the stuff out of your price range "new" might be reasonably priced "used" on eBay or elsewhere.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by matt C:

You gotta hear them, no two ways about that. Never buy an amp "sound unheard."

and buy the way, workingman's series great rocks for the money- it's what I play (the 4X10T, anywat)

I got my Eden CXC-300 combo (with 2 10s) used for $650. It's a great combo, and, IMO, it sounds a LOT better than the Workingman and GK amps I've tried. The SWR Pro Series isn't bad, so perhaps you could find a used Redhead or other combo. Heck, you might get REAL lucky and find a used Eden Metro for under $800. I haven't heard the Ashdowns, but I've heard good things.

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

I'm not married to the SWR cab, it just happened to be one on my short list of possible cabs a year ago when I found it for that price.

What I am married to, however, is the GK800RB. It's a damn fine sounding amp, well worth the store price of $650 (I paid $400). I just checked out the above ebay listing and the current price was under $200- you should try for it. Hell, if it wasn't for the URB I'm currently paying off, I'd bid on it.

The beauty of workingman's gear is that it is rock solid for the price. Other non-expensive gear, like hartke's transporter series, has a history of problems that you don't encounder in workingman's. If you move up in price, the specs on the SWR cabs get better. I'll go out on a limb and advocate that between the two, you are better off with a great sounding head and a mediocre cab (not that workingman's is mediocre) than vice versa.

And another thought: carvin sells a basic 4X10 cab, pretty similar in design and specs to the workingman's for $400. That's well worth looking into.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Well, one of our friends here speaks highly of Avatar cabs . And looking at what they've upgraded since I first became aware of them on eBay ages ago, it could be a good way to get rolling for very few simolians. If they are like Carvins designs, they won't protest under heavy demands for lows (good match between drivers and cabinet/porting).

The Carvin head is great for the price and light enough; I see them all the time on eBay for CHEAP. Here I'm kind of advocating seperates because I'd rather have two light pieces than one heavy one, and still have big SPLs and mix-and-match redundancy. I personally like the flexibility and contour options they have, but just about any heads today are fine as long as you are not missing elements of your tonal ideal (such as tube or tubelike overdrive, etc).

But if you must go COMBO and want shaved weight I've had great experiences with Nemesis (seen them on loud stages too) as long as you don't try to make their speakers make more low lows than they are capable of. That's true of Workingman and others too - they just don't have drivers and porting and cab volume that can take 5-string pummeling. All eminently usuable as long as you know this and watch that EQing...

I wish more companies would do R&D on light-weight yet durable cabinetry and also start producing light class-D mono amps with contour circuitry - as Carvin seems to be doing for their new powered mains and subwoofers. There is no reason this can't become cheap and reliable.

Originally posted by CowbellAllen:

Nemesis isn't the Squier of Eden, is it? It seems like a good buy,but I'm not sure cause I've heard such great things about the Workingman.

Well, not exactly. Squiers are Fender authorised cheaper versions of existing basses...with same names, but cheaper parts, worse wood, offshore labor.

Nemesis amps are (or they were when I bought mine) handmade in America, just like the Eden stuff. There is no corollary to Eden stuff; Eden 2x10 and Nemesis 2x10 differ in many ways aside from the price.

Perhaps the biggest difference is the Nemesis body...made of compressed newsprint...extremely strong, lightweight and has no internal sympathetic vibrations.

Nemesis can be judged on it's own, without comparisons to Big Daddy Eden.

I actually went to the store to purchase the SWR Workingman 15 and AB'd the Nemesis, and bought it instead. To me, the sound was tighter, more focused...but still a bit warmer. I also liked the relative weight savings on the Nemesis.

After several years, I still love the amp. I was initially worried about the construction, no cooling ports and fan...but mine's never shut down (there is a thermal overload if you push it really loud.) Since I've purchased mine, they've come up with an external heatsink standard on these units...should help.

As I've said before; the Nemesis is not as directional as most bass amps....the sound seems equally loud behind and all around. However, the "perceived" loudness is not as great as the SWR.

Also, the internal wiring harness is glued to the inside...after several years, I got a real buzz coming out of the body. I reglued it, and have not had problems.

Nice handy bundle to carry around...good shape...really nice speakers...AB one.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived