Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good tone, low $, lightweight ... (but don't ditch the big rig).

music-man

This is the coda to threads back in April/May (that I can't find now).

I had been looking for a lightweight combo for the last year - one that I could one-hand up and down subway steps, and also play both my 5-string and electric cello through in NYC clubs ... I tried three different $700 + amps that were good but not perfect - and so I took each one back, paying a couple restock fees along the way. I kinda turned up my nose at the WM10 and WM12, b/c I was sure there had to be something better out there than what everyone else was playing. Okay here's me, eating some crow.

A month ago, an inside line (okay, it was our own Tom Capasso) on a Long Island music store lined me up with a WM10 for a great price. So I bought it. And now, I've played it out a couple of times - amping both bass and cello on a rock gig in a smaller club (Cutting Room, NYC). I have to say the Workingman's 10 is really GOOD.

Admittedly, it's nowhere near loud enough to compete with a rock drummer in a big room without the help of PA-subs. And at certain points, when I really pushed it on low notes, I noticed some speaker flutter. So ... it's not perfect. But it's plenty loud enough to act as a stage monitor (PAs where I play are more than adequate to pump out the beefy bottom end for the house). It's really good for coffee-house/cafe gigs with acoustic acts. And if I need to rock hard I've still got my big rig. But most important, I paid less than half of what the high-end combos cost, and the improvement in tone/volume that all those extra bucks got me (for higher-priced combo) was really minimal.

Bottom line is ... I've concluded even shelling out cash for a high-end, 1x10 combo won't buy you the sound of a big rig. And so if I'm going with less than big-rig volume, the WM10 is a great little amp ... (BTW - I'm sure the WM12 sounds good too, but it's big/heavy enough that I'd just as soon drag around a 210 cab and head).

Anyway, thanks everyone for feedback/input along the way, and thanks Tom, for keeping an eye out for me! And all you WM10 owners can laugh and point and say, "duh, ya dumbshit."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that does it! I was sure you'd be trading this one in for another, and then we could all watch you continue the search for the Holy Grail !!

It's an expensive truth that we sometimes need many types of equipment. And for you city-dwellers (read: subway/bus instead of car), size matters even more than for the rest of us.

I saw an add for a Gator "amp bag", that has handle and wheels. Maybe that's your next purchase?

And did you make points with the wife by downsizing both the size of the amp and the cost?

I'm glad this has worked out well for you. :thu:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Yep they are nice little lightweight combos. I have an SWR WM4x10 cab, so I'm am sold on the value of the Workingman's line.

But...

The ultimate micro-rig, in my opinion, would be an ACME B1 1x10 cab with an Eden WT-300 head on top. Both small enough to fit into a bag together, only 44 lbs combined, and DEFINITEY sounds superior to a WM10. But it would cost a whole lot more, of course. Might just be loud enough to compete with the occasional rock drummer, too.

:eek:

Speaking of micro rigs...

I use a WM 1x10 cabinet and an AI Clarus head, a very light weight and compact setup. I've played both electric and upright through this setup and am more than pleased with it. Of course it's not for the really loud stuff, but I do have the option of adding another 1x10 cabinet to it.

I used to own a WM10 combo, but sold it. It was a nice combo amp but it got fried one night when I used it with the extension cab. I got it fixed and then sold it.

Phil Smith - Creator of the iGigBook iPad/Android App

Over 1300 Jazz Chord Charts That You Can Transpose

I love my WM10. I dumped all my other amps and cabs for it. I kept my SWR 2X10 to use with the WM10 for a great 100 watt 3X10 set up. The WM10 alone works for reharsals all by itself, and I'm in a 10 piece horn band!

I have a DI for big club/PA gigs. It's great. I went fro a big 6X10 cba and rack to carrying as little gear as possible in about 6 months. I love it.

I don't own one of them thar WM10 combos, but I'll still keep plugging them. For a practice amp I came down to pickin' between the WM10 and the Ampeg B50R 1x12. WM10 is a little lighter and rated a little louder, but I went with the Ampeg because it's still relatively portable and it gives me a different sound than my bigger SWR Super Redhead 2x10 combo. I also think the B50R is really conservatively rated 'cause it cranks pretty darn loud when I need it to. It's nice to have both an Ampeg vibe and an SWR vibe to choose from.

m-m, I'm glad to hear that the WM10 is working out for you.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've been looking for a place to ask this question.

I have a SWR WM 1x10 combo. I recently went from a 4 string to a 5 string and I find that the sound of the low B is a bit thin on the WM10. I have been thinking about adding another 1x10 cabinet. Do you think it will help? How much will it cost to add the 1x10? Am I likely to fry the amp?

Thanks for the input.

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

HBM,

Experiment with some extension cabs and see how they work. Bring your 5-stringer out to the stores and try the WM10 with 1x10, 2x10, 1x12, and 1x15 extension cabs. That'll really let you know how those options affect your sound and handle your low B.

Peace,

--sweets

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

The low B is a real problem for that matter so is a low E. The fundamental on the E is 42Hz if I remember correctly and the B is something like 33Hz (somebody help me out here). Most subs have a problem reproducing a true 42Hz; yes that's right few of us have every actually heard what are basses really sound like. We only hear the harmonics of our low strings. But I digress, I've used a SWR WM 15 with my 5 string and it works out fine but to be honest I'm not real picky just to lazy to hump a big rig.

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

To the nearest tenth:

E fundamental: 41.2 Hz

B fundamental: 30.9 Hz

; }

It's not so much that hearing the fundamental is important. But having a good lot of power around the region between it and the first overtone up (which is usually the strongest component of a plucked string for bass) is what makes for a full, rich sound. Being deficient of poorly shaped in that region makes the tone less like what we typically hear on CDs.

And having a cab that farts - or worse - there because it can't handle the request for excursion is truly a drag. As is a cab that just doesn't do anything at all down below. Uncoolness...

Archived