Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

here we go

The Fonz

so here we go, my very first show with the new band. it is sunday, november 3rd at groove (125 macdougal at w.3rd st.) we are the first act of three and we go on promptly at 9pm. this is a no brainer folks, early enough for everyone to make a sunday show and NO COVER!!! see you all there.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for letting us know. I'll be out of the house 7 of the preceeding 14 nights, so I can't say for sure yet.

Either way, best of luck !! I'm sure you'll be great !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

The NY memebers around here have made a very good case for the city. I spent part of a summer in Manhattan a few years ago and dug the energy, but it got expensive checking out music and restaurants...

Good to ya, Bass Tide!

Remember you OWN those bass lines..

Turn it out Bastid

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Yo, E, am working that night (as far as I know), but the session in the studio right now is pretty low key, so I may de able to duck out...

Either way, I know you'll rock it!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I could say for sure that I'm coming, but between the Saturday event (and I'm jamming in with a band that night), not sure if I'll make it.

Still, it's not out of the woods yet....

Best of luck just the same !!! Knock 'em dead (good sentiment for Halloween)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

And, again, with the bump to the top. E left here a while ago for practice, all jazzed to play. Should be a great time for all...

Break a leg, Bastid!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Well, if everything got rolling on time, Bastid E is playing right now and probably shakin' the walls to bring down the house -- ya' know, being generally bass-tastic.

Looking forward to hearing the good word about the gig from B.E. or any who attended the show.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Bumpcity -

Enquiring minds want to know... how the heck did it go?!?!

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Keep bumpin'!!!

Any chance we can make this the most bumped thread on the board?!

(Really, though, don't do it! Sometimes there's nuthin' more annoying than reading a bunch of "bump," "bump," "bump," etc. all the way down the screen.

I've been a prime perp on this thread, so I'm gonna cut it out now.

:D;):D:rolleyes:

:wave: Bastid, you out there? Awake yet? Hello?

--sweet willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

One more bump for the road.

Hope Bastid E is just spendin' some time in the woodshed...

RobT

Seems a light description there, Bastid E....

Were you nervous? Did you get past it? Did you enjoy the music? the other band members? Lock well with the drummer? Want to kill the g****r player? How did they react to you? Did you posture and pose enough/not enough? Did everybody cooperate with load in/out? Did you have to fix the PA?

C'mon man - give us the story !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

hey tom, what's with the 5th degree? ;)

okay, so the nuts and bolts break down like this. the stage was way to small and the way we had to set up i was to the drummers right. this is not the place to be, but the drummer and i have a great rappoir so this wasn't much of an issue. it was an issue only in that he had to crane his neck slightly to look at me and it was a tad awkward so that push and drag beat dynamic wasn't there like it is in rehearsal.

i was locked in like a sardine. one guitarist right in front of me, amplifiers right behind me, the fire exit about a foot to my right and the ride cymbal under my headstock. the keyboard player was in the same barrel on the extreme other side. he was so far against the wall that he was missing notes because he couldn't get his arm comfortably all the way over to reach the bass side of the keyboard.

as for getting pissed at the guitar players, i'm really lucky. they are both tasteful groove players and it makes the whole band like one big rhythm section. as for volume, crowd comments after the show told me that one was actually to quiet to be heard. but these guys are the main songwriters that play multiple instruments and hold their glory in the arrangement of the songs rather than in giutar heroics.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Gigs limited by physical problems are tough. But they are momentary... My band does a similar "sardine squeeze" at the bar we've played. The only positive is watching the keys or drummer do gymnastics to get out from behind their rigs :)

My questoins about g****rs in particular were stereotypical prompts. Good to hear it's songs that count. You can embellish and craft an arrangement for a good song. The other way 'round is harder...

It sounds like everybody got thru it fine, and that you are part of the band. Some rehearsals, one gig, and you're in. Pretty cool.

Just to finish up, where were you on the night of the 16th

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

I know the sardine feeling, but luckily, I usually end up in 3-pieces... Still though, I'm 6'4" 220lbs... I need some elbow room! :D Well, any night playing to a crowd is better than a night playing nintendo... :thu: (alright...sometimes)

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Archived