Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need Help With Reason w/Mac

Hello I'm new to this board and would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. I am basically just getting started with sequencing but my buddy lrossmusic, who is familiar with the ancient MMT 8 sequencer by Alesis is giving me a hand. First of all we can't understand how to use all 16 midi channels since Reason only has a 14 channel mixer. Does this mean that the Reason sequencer is a 14 track sequencer like the MMT 8 is an 8 track sequencer. If so how do you merge tracks in Reason as to accommodate all 16 midi channels? lrossmusic is familiar with midi and sequencing but is finding it difficult to understand the Reason sequencer compared to how things work on the Alesis MTT 8. Surely the more modern Reason system must allow you to use all 16 midi channels as does the Alesis. Thanks for any help anyone can give us in unscrambling this puzzle. :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Create a second mixer. Highlight the mixer and press ctrl while holding down the mouse. Highlight Create>>Mixer. A second mixer will cascade into the main outs of the first. The extra midi channels can be used to automate channels of the second mixer. NG

Another question. Concerning the soft synths that come with Raason, is it possible for one unit to play multible parts through the same two (left and right) mixer channels as would be possible with a hardware sound mudule? For example a hardware sound module controlled by a sequencer can play on all 16 midi channels and send audio out from it's srereo out jacks to a mixer. With Reason it appears that each time I pull up a diffirent sound from one of it's sound mudules the program virtually creates a new module for each sound requiring another mixer input. This is fine until I run out of mixer inputs. I guess what I'm looking for is a master mix stereo out along with sub outs from the soft synth's in Reason if they exist. I hope I'm making sense. :)

[quote] [b]Before you get flamed.... I'd suggest picking up a copy of the Reason book that (I believe) Craig Anderton wrote. It is pretty cheap, and should get you going.. [/b] [/quote]That's great I'll check my music store if not I'll check with Craig directly. Thanks Deanmass [quote] [b]Create a second mixer. Highlight the mixer and press ctrl while holding down the mouse. Highlight Create>>Mixer. A second mixer will cascade into the main outs of the first. The extra midi channels can be used to automate channels of the second mixer. NG [/b] [/quote]Thanks NG !!!Wow!! This program looks limitless! Can't wait t get my hands on Craig's book.

Thanks for the book plug. I will say I've gotten some very nice comments about it from users. They almost all mention the companion CD-ROM as being very helpful, so don't forget to check that out. Reason is so efficiently coded that you can just keep adding instruments and mixers until your computer chokes, but believe, me it's more likely you'll exceed the limits of good musical taste before you exceed the limits of your computer. Reason is an aces program. (And if anyone is using a cracked copy -- DON'T!! Propellerheads makes great software and we need to make sure they can stay in business.)

Thanks Nawledge, along with Craig's book the reasonstation.com site will be very helpful. Meanwhile I'm wondering how the different tracks we've recorded so far are able to play back independently when they all seem to be set to midi channel 1 only in the preferences window? On the Alesis MMT 8 if all the tracks were set to the same midi channel then all the parts would be played by each sound if I had a seperate module for each sound. If I had only one multi timbre module then one sound would be playing all the parts. Does Reason automatically set each track to a new midi channel?

Archived