Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your wireless system and why

Oiseau

Is anyone using the Cavin wireless system? If so how would you rate it. My Nady just gave out and it's time to look for a new one.

Which type of wireless system do you use and why?

Yes, I do know everything.... I just can't remember it all at one time.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using Audio Technica's 1400 series UHF system for a couple of years now. We do have a deal with Audio Technica, but I was using the 1400 before we got the deal, so it wasn't my reason for going that route.

I decided on them because they were reasonably priced ($250-$300) and had the features I thought were important in an instrument wireless. They have 1/4" and XLR outputs, detachable antennae, are 1/2 space rackmountable with hardware included, and also have a detachable input cord which is replaceable for under $20. That feature saved me a headache on one occasion. It's a lot easier to plug a new input cord in than find a short and repair it right before soundcheck.

I've been very happy with the thing. It has a good range, clear/clean sound and I've never had RF problems even on the noisiest stages.

That said, there are a ton of wireless units out there, some good, some not so good, ranging from cheapie VHF single channel units to high end digital UHF diversity with programmable channels. I would go with a UHF unit if I were you.

Later..................

I've got a Nady 200. I wouldn't recommend it all.

From what I've heard and seen my friends use, the one to get would be the x-wire, which of course they don't make anymore. Sennheiser now owns the technology, I don't know what they call their model.

I think that Audio-Technica makes a "bass-specific" wireless but I can't find the brochure that I got from them.

I considered the Samson Airline for awhile because of the incredible small package and great battery life. But the specs indicate that the low end rolls off too early for a 5- or 6-string. If someone would do the same thing with a few extra Hz down below it would be schweet!

<-- greenboy ---<<<<    it can be done. but why waste R&D on stuff for bassists? ; }

Mavis Reekin' again

Greenboy,

I tried the Airline out a couple of weeks ago. I also thought it to be a great idea. Who wouldn't want to get rid of their belt pack? I had some serious R.F. problems with it. I purposely tried it out on the noisiest stage we play and it didn't pass the test. While it does have a squelch control, there is no way to fine tune the frequency on it.

I do know some guys that are using it with no problems at all, although they are all 4 string players, and none of them are playing stages with near as much going on as the situations I tend to find myself in frequently. I still think it's a great concept. Supposedly Sennheiser and Shure are going to be coming out with similiar units that are a little more high tech soon.

Later..................

Küül on new units similar to the Airline, 61Pbass : }  Hopefully the price won't be premium ...I remember using wireless on my sax years ago (simultaneously with a wireless headset); it seemed like having a choice of frequencies alleviated problems.

I've talked to 5-string guys who like the Airline just fine -- but then, some people don't actually have much going on in true low end anyway (50 Hz is where the Airline rolls off, I think). Heck, some guys I don't think have ever heard what that can sound like! Anyway, it's usually either because their rig doesn't naturally make true low end, or because it can't make it without sacrificing headroom, pounding drivers, or without making stage rumble (because of a non-surgical EQ circuit).

I use an XWire. It's the best bass wireless system I've ever used. It sounds like a cable, no annoying roll off points at 100Hz like most wireless systems have.

If you can find one used, I'd highly suggest picking it up.

i considered getting a wireless until i saw spinal tap. that and relizing that in the venues i played a 50' cable would not only get me to all corners of the stage, but a sizable distance into the crowd as well.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived