Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass pole for article I'm writing, what would you buy?

Jay J.

I am doing a article for a local music magazine.

I have been asked to see what basses people perfer

in three price brackets, my friend is doing the same

for guitar. I think that these price brackets are

realistic for most people when they are looking to buy

a new bass. for each we are looking into a 4 and 5

string, they don't have to be the same kind.

(it does not have to fit exaclty in the price range

because prices vary, but just within a hundred or so

dollars)

$600 and under

4 string-

5 string-

$600-$1500

4 string-

5 string-

$1500+ (the word budget does not exist here go nuts)

4 string-

5 string-

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting poll!

$600 and under 4 string-

Used Carvin.

$600-$1500 4 string-

New Carvin

New or Used G&L

Fender Victor Bailey Model

Used Ken Smith (if really lucky)

Spector

$1500+ 4 string-

Sadowsky

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

If I were interested in bass fishing I doubt I'd spend more than a few dollars for a rig. You must be writing for a fishing magazine if you are talking about a bass pole -- am I write? (Reight?)

Either that, or you are utterly dependent on an editor to spall fur ewe ; }

Originally posted by greenboy:

If I were interested in bass fishing I doubt I'd spend more than a few dollars for a rig. You must be writing for a fishing magazine if you are talking about a bass pole -- am I write? (Reight?)

Either that, or you are utterly dependent on an editor to spall fur ewe ; }

wow. generally i come on here so i can get intelligent opinions on actual topics and not narrow people making themselves feel better by belittling a typo. if i were you i would save the money from the rig and buy a life.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

jee, thanks bastide, i never realized my hatsize was small from a narrow mind. i thought it was just from hanging around with people who liked to keep a tight chokehold.

You know that this is a-would-be list, so it can be changed time to time and there are so many good choices out there I haven't tried yet.

I think it's better if you classified it against the music style we are playing.

600 under

4 string - Mexican Fender Jazz

5 string - Ibanez BTB

600-1500

4 string - Musicman Sterling, American Jazz Deluxe

5 string - G&L L2500, Warwick

1500 - above

4 string - Lakland

5 string - MTD 535 /Roscoe LG

Cheapie: Carvin, used

Mid: Another Carvin 6, 34" scale fretless -- or a fretted Conklin GT-7, or a Buddha model off eBay

High: something with at least seven strings and fanned frets, from http://www.novaxguitars.com or http://www.dingwallguitars.com

Actually nothing I say above is all that true -- because you give me the money and I'm as likely to buy PA or Recording gear, or maybe something I saw recently.

Or maybe I'll buy a life. If I can afford it ; }

sub $600

used Carvin LB70 or the build it yourself kit

6-15

New Carvin LB70 with LOTS OF GOODIES, Warwick Corvette Standard (active electronics), 1970's or earlier Ric 4001 in good shape and in an uncommon color or fretless (very rare)

15+

Warwick Infinity, 66' Jazz in lake placid blue woth matching headstock, Sadowsky, F bass studio model (zebra paint job looks sweet)... and a Porsche 911 Turbo (to get to the gig on time and in style)

BNC

$600 and under

4 string- Spector NS2002

5 string- Schecter Stiletto Elite 5

$600-$1500

4 string- Fender American Deluxe Zone

5 string- Warwick Corvette Proline 5

$1500+ (the word budget does not exist here go nuts)

4 string- Custom made LakLand or Warwick

5 string- Custom made LakLand or Warwick

I agree with greenboy. (nice to hear from you again)

If you are writing an article, you should know how to spell (and write well). Stating that fact does not make anyone "narrow people making themselves feel better by belittling a typo".

This article has been written in Bass Player magazine already and always seems sort of pointless to me.

Nobody can tell you what bass to buy.

For an inexpensive bass...anything would be fine.

For a midprice bass....try them all out and see what you like.

For an expensive bass....they all are very good....once again it comes down to personal preference.

Here ya' go

$600 range

Fender Mexi Jazz (4 string)

Haven't heard a five in this range that sounds good. The Dean 5's look nice but I don't like the

sound.

$600-1500 range

Lakland Skyline both the 4 and 5's look nice. Haven't had a chance to play one yet.

Music Man Stingray

$1500+ range

Lot's to choose from here. I'd probably stick with the used market and look for a Smith, Sadowsky, Sukop, MTD, Devon, Warrior etc. Watts makes some beautiful basses but Gary is taking a year off and won't be making any more until next year :cry:

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

thanks for all the responses. "My Bad" on the spelling, that was a dumb mistake but I posted this at midnight so my brain was tired. anyhow thanks again for responding. I sent e-mials to musiciansfriend, mars, samash asking for info on their top sellers in each money bracket. I guess I worded this a little wrong I am not trying to find the "best bass" type of thing. I was looking to see what ones are most popular among non "big label musicians"

here on some results:

as a general rule Fender still seems to rule the market in the 1500 and under catagory.

600 and under:

fender Mexican jazz 4

fender mexican active jazz 5

some ibanez stuff

600-1500:

music man stingray (4 and 5)

rickenbacker 4 (musiciansfriend)

fender american jazz (4 and 5)

1500+

results varied a lot, I figure that if people are going to spend this much it will likely be a custon model or something close. but some of the most popular ones are: Spector, MTD (Tobias), Sadowsky, Fodera, modulas, real high end warwick stuff like the FNA jazzman and Dolphin Pro.

Archived