Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Bass Line? the Nominees are:

Jay J.

my friend and I were talking about some of the best bass lines from songs over the years. interested in what poeple think. here is a few to get started: Walking on the Moon(sting), Money(pink floyed), tom sawyer(rush)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about:

'Forty Six and 2' by Tool

'Falling to Pieces' by Faith No More

Tony Levin's stuff with King Crimson and Peter Gabriel has some great basslines as well.

There is just a billion great basslines you know, stuff from Jaco, James Jamerson, Paul McCartney just to name a few.

"But she dies.....just like suicide"

Best bass line that shouldn't work but does because the player is so ridiculously subtle:

Tony Levin "Don't Give Up" on Peter Gabriel's "So"

(helps that he's also a stick player)

Busy but oh-so-soulful:

Willie Weeks on "Donnie Hathaway Live"

Funk O Rama:

Larry Graham: "Hair"

That's all I can think of for now (that stand out from the 1000s of honorable mentions).

Originally posted by Jeff Addicott:

Best bass line that shouldn't work but does because the player is so ridiculously subtle:

Tony Levin "Don't Give Up" on Peter Gabriel's "So"

(helps that he's also a stick player)

I don't know if you were implying this or not... but he doesn't play that song on Stick, it's a bass. If you weren't implying that he played it with a Stick, then I'm a sick little monkey. :D

I agree with you about that bass line, really easy, simple to play, but it's just sooo tasty.

Well, I haven't seen a lot of flaming here, so I hope I don't open a can of worms,

I absolutely love the Levin line on Don't Give up...in fact that whole album is great.

Have you heard Tuck Andress? He's a guitar player who plays bass, rhythm and lead at the same time on a Gibson hollow-body. He has a bass line (with all that other stuff as well) on the Tuck and Patti album "Tears of Joy" in the song titled "I've Got Just About Everything" that will absolutely blow you away with walking brilliance. BTW, that's a sensational album too, and perfect date music.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Jaco - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Great groove. Nothing too fancy, just a great groove.

Geddy - The Analog Kid - Man. That's just SWEET! He keeps up with Alex perfectly. Great song.

Dirk Lance - Are You In? - Another great groove...

Man what about

Queen and the infamous "another one bites the dust

That was the song that made me want to play bass

or how about,that funky Superfreak by rick james or play that funky music white boy

granted not the best but surely some of the most remembered bass lines of all time

just my two for what its worth later Scott2go

http://www.brthesect.com

I agree with the Whipping Post comment....Berry Oakley, Lamar Williams, David Goldflies, Allen Woody and Otiel Burbridge are all outstanding bassists who play(ed)all the unbelievable Allman Brother basslines.

Other suggestions:

Silly Love Songs by Sir Paul---(first bass line I ever learned)

The Circus of Heaven by Yes---as far as that goes--anything by Chris Squire should do.

Money by Pink Floyd

My Sharona by The Knack---tacky I know but how many times do you hear Lead Bass?

Maybe I'll post some more as I ponder on it overnight.

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Robbie Shakespeare @ Grace Jones' version of "Walking in the Rain" is awesome!

And the rest of that album (Nightclubbing) is just as good. A true hard-core bass jamboree!

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I can't say I have an absolute favorite, but...........

Toby Myers interpretation of the bassline to John Mellencamp's remake of "Wild Night" struck me as awesome the first time I heard it.

Dave Hope's killer, bluesy, jazzy bass line on Kansas' "Two Cents Worth" is one of my all time favorites. Not his most technical, but quite possibly the most tasty thing he ever laid down.

I always thought Chris Squire's melodic, rolling line on "Roundabout" was a great lesson in how to make a few notes sound like a ton and compliment the structure and melody of the song at the same time.

Later..................

So many bass lines...I'm really partial to these:

-Peace Sells by Megadeth. That intro riff is sooo cool.

-Hair by Larry Graham or most stuff off the "Best of Graham Central Station" album.

-A lot of Sting's music

-Plush by Stone Temple Pilots

-Fat Albert Theme

-Linus & Lucy (Peanuts Theme) there are a few versions of this one that have been covered by jazzers.

Hrm...

I'm sure I'll be able to think of more later on, but for right now I'd say, in my opinion:

The Doors, Riders on the Storm

Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower(Written by Dylan.)

Oysterhead, Army's on Ecstasy.

~Shivall

Originally posted by Jeff Addicott:

Busy but oh-so-soulful:

Willie Weeks on "Donnie Hathaway Live"

Funk O Rama:

Larry Graham: "Hair"

Oh man! I haven't heard these in years. Good picks Jeff!

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I'll throw one unmentioned one in-

"If You Want Me To Stay" Sly and the Family Stone, Larry Graham (duh)

If you have never heard it check it out, it is great groove

My threepen'orth (UK's answer to My two cents)

The White Room by Cream

('cos Jack Bruce is my first ever bass hero)

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Don't know about best, but some that I like...

"To Bid You Farewell" by Opeth (they do a lot of interesting bass work, especially in the earlier albums)

"Battlestar Scralatchtica" by Incubus (Dirk Lance is one of my favorite bassists)

"Cut Chemist Suite" by Ozomatli

"Positivity" by Black Eyed Peas

Some of my personal favorites:

-"Money" by Pink Floyd (Roger Waaters)

-"All My Loving" by the Beatles (McCartney)

-"Come On, Come Over" by Jaco

-"Whipping Post" by the Allmand Brothers (?)

-"Message in a Bottle" by the Police (Sting)

-"Shop Around" by Smoky R. (Jamerson)

-"Mannish Boy" by Muddy Waters (Willie Dixon?)

Archived