Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonar 2 XL--real time Fx

Hi people, Can anyone tell me how can i compress/gate my guitar while playing (using the plugins in real time)? I do not want to use an outboard compressor but the compressor of Sonar2. How can i do this? Same thing for the EQ? I need to adjust the EQ while playing (before recording). Thanks people Eyegod

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Basically my computer is 667mhz. I know maybe it is a bit slow but can you use real time Fx while playing? What are the WDM drivers? how can i get them? My sound card is the SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE Thanks EG

You're going to have a hard time using real time effects with a SoundBlaster Value, even if you can find WDM drivers for it you probably won't get a latency below 20ms, which to me is just long enough to be audible and a pain in the butt. If you get a sound card like an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 or even an AudioTrak Maya you can get your latency down to 5ms or less and then it's a lot nicer using real time effects and soft synths.

It should be made clear to you that you cannot use a soft compressor(in the 'puter) to limit your peaks going into the converters.Everything is "post" converter once it gets in the computer. This seems to be a common misconception with beginners in computer audio. You can, if like i think Craig is getting at, Monitor the signal with compression as you are laying tracks but it is still post converter and therefore you are not maximizing your input level with the use of the compressor. OVER&Out

My guess is he's not as interested in compressing to maximize converter dynamics as he is in using compression as an effect. But my question is why not just record through a POD, DigiTech, Yamaha, etc. amp modeler? No significant latency, and you can always take a straight feed if you want to process later with plug-ins.

Hi Therefore you suggest that the best thing is to use an outboard compressor/gate, is it true? I want to use the compressor not as an Fx but to arrange the dynamics so the best thing is to use outboards. AM i right? For guitars i think i can solve this by using an external processor like Digitech 2120 GPS. But what about vocals? i need a mic preamp with a compressor? What analoge mixer do you suggest to use when recording on a computer? Cheers EG

Archived