Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gov't Mule

Ben

I got the new "Deep End" CD and have been listening to it.

The sound is a little bit disappointing, kind of mid-fi, and the cut with John Entwhistle the bass track is muddy and buried in the mix. But there are some damn good rock songs and it's a gas to hear all those great bassists on one disk.

Otiel Burbridge really stands out for me. He just plays a blues with a special turn in it, but his feel knocks my socks off.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that entwistle is almost lost in the mix--wierd--I love the disc though, "worried down w/ the blues" is awesome, "sco-mule" is great--i love scofields synth guitar, and bootsy collins on "tear me down" is a total hoot!!! anyone know what's going on in that tune? is it synth-bass or a synth being triggered by a bass or what? love that opening monster groove! this mule kicks! I've also tried older mule riffs like "thorazine shuffle" and "afro blue"

A recent issue of Bass Player explained more about the Bootsy track, if I remember right the synth bass was added as a guide for him and then some of it was also kept in the final mix.

Archived