Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

15" vs 10" cabs

Ryan Griffith

Hello All,

Do you prefer a 15" or 10" cabinet? Why do you prefer what you do? If you like 10's, do you like a 2X10 or a 4X10? Just another idear for a hopefully interesting topic. And of course, if there are any hardy souls who dig 18's, that'd be welcome too!

For my 2 cents, I have an Ampeg combo with a vintage 15" & I like it, although I haven't really played through 10's, so I don't have anything to evaluate it against. It's good for the girthy lows I love, but I imagine it's not the best for crisp highs. That said, I definitely like the warm, smooth highs the 15 cranks out.

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGryff,

This is a GREAT topic!

For a small practice/small gig amp I definitely prefer most tens. as they seem to give me the punch I need on most basses as well as enough midrange variation to be effective in most styles. Folk, World Music and Rock/Blues being the order of the day. Good

amp is the "Workingman's" 10 (SWR) The WM 12 is too honky for my personal taste.

For larger venues, I reveal my true colors as a gigantic comprimiser who always sees both sides of any argument so can't make up his mind......... :D

I have an SWR Triad. Both the audience(s) and I, in concert situations where the audience is actually listening "seem to love it.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Oops, guess I should describe the sound I go for: Buttah with a bit of punch. Keep in mind I play 6 string so I want a treble sound that's not too ringy or edgey. Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

I used 15's for years, always liked them, until the whole 90's SWR/Eden thing happened. Then, I wanted my high end for slapping. It was more about the tweeter than the 10's. Try to remember a time when bass cabs didn't HAVE tweeters! Anyway, I've been using 10's mostly for the last 10 years or so. The thing I like besides the faster speaker response is a 210 cab has more surface area than a single 15, and, by breaking the load up between two speakers, you put less stress on them. I've blown several single 15 cabs, but never a 210.

Now, I'm very happily using 12s. My two Bergantino 112T cabs are phenomenal, individually and together. I used both last night on a blues gig and they were massive, yet well articulated.

Like Ed, I've been using tens for a number of years now. I have an Eden Metro with two self contained tens and also have an Eden 210XLT and an Eden 410XLT and use them in various combinations depending on the situation. Hearing all the good talk on this Forum about the Bergantino cabs I'd like to try them but haven't seen any at the stores in my area. I have as Ed has said blown single 15's but never have blown any of the tens in my cabinets.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I had an ampeg combo with a 15 for about 6 years and it sounded pretty good.Just in the past few months I bought a head and a 210 cabinet.I really love it tight ,punchy and loud.I definately prefer 10s to 15s

I used 15" and 18" cabs for years. I guess my ear changed along with the change in bass sound in the 90's. Right now I use an Acme Low B-2 cab. Kinda the best of both worlds. Rump shakin' lows and clean crisp mids/highs. I like the breakup in surface area with the two 10's. Playing around with the frequency settings on the rear of the cab helped a lot too.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I'm like Ed in that I am using 12s (though I am using Edens) as a compromise between the punch of the 10s and the clear fundamental of the 15s. I am very pleased with the clarity of each note while still being able to move enough air to let people feel the bass punch them in the chest. By using two single 12 inch cabinets I am not carrying anything heavier than 40 lbs which my old aching back appreciated.

This seems to be a fashion thing to me. I was out of touch for a long time, and when I came back a few years ago, I was shocked at the proliferation of 10" speakers. I have been impressed by the lows they put out, but I find that too many of them have too much emphasis on the high side. I see that the slappers like this, but I need a more balanced sound. And of course, the tweeter blend is so much part of that. I heard the Bergie 1x12 and 2x12, and they have the blend I'm looking for - I prefer them to the various 10" configurations.

Ed - that tweeter thing got me. I used to have an Acoustic 175 with a 15" and a huge port - no tweeter. It had a huge muffled sound - I traded to the keyboard player! Now I have a Kustom with 2x12 - again no tweeter. And again, there is some lack in definition. In the old days, a tweeter was unthinkable. Things change, and even an old dog like me can see the value...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I've got a couple of Tech 2x12" s that are real modular and sound absolutely transparent. They are great. They are the old drivers made in the mid 90's.

However, I stumbled on an Acoustic 360 a few years back and picked it up for $200. That has THE tone for me. The single 18" folded horn. I am amazed no one has reissued them. They are the BEST! They actually have a biamp, so for more modern stuff you can add a 8" or 10" driver cab for high end. I usually use it as is. Only problem is you have to have a station wagon to move it around and carrying it up stairs is a two person op(grunt). Plus there are no parts or repair capability. I may have to give up electric bass if it ever becomes unrepairable.

For practicing out and upright gigs I like to "haul" a 24lb Flite cab with an Eden 15" in it; that's the most bang per pound I've found!

- pt

Like Ed I used 15's for years then switched to 10's. I've had over 17 different cabs. all with 10's and loved their clarity,and punch. But I kind of missed some of the "rumble". I just purchased a Bergantino 112 and have been A/Bing it with my Epifani 110. 12's do have a certain "honk" but the Berg's honk is very musical and it is an exceptionally clear,focused cab with just a touch of rumble which really sits well in the mix. I'm not sold on 12's yet for my main rig because I love my Epifani 310 but the Berg 112 can't be beat for a small rig. My Epifani 110 is on eBay right now!

The 12's do have a bit of "honk" to them, but as you mentioned, the Bergs have a nice honk. I find that it really helps me hear myself better within a band. The midrange presence also works great for fretless. Stacking two of the 112ts opens up this amazing low frequency response, it gets very deep. I'm sure Jim Bergantino could tell us exactly what happens in terms of the actual frequencies, I just know that it's very startling how much bottom comes out of this tiny stack. Given that they have very high power handling capacity, I don't usually feel the need to use anything bigger. My Bergantino 310 is unfortunately collecting dust right now, but I won't ever sell it, it's too good. Maybe one day I'll get a gig with a rock and roll band, and we'll make a hit record, and go on the road, and make lots of money, and get real famous, and the girls will think we're cool, and I'll use my 310 every night! I can dream can't I?

BTW, Jim Bergantino, master of mathematics that he is informs me that I was wrong - a 15" speaker has 25% more surface area than 2 10" speakers. Oh well, wish I remember who told me that lie, it pays to do the math before you start spouting figures I guess!

I must be an old dog! IMHO, there's nothing like the "kick in the chest" bottom that 15's deliver. I don't slap but, when I need to produce some high end, I just pick up a flat pick and, depending how close I pick to the bridge, can get all the highs I need. Put the flat pick down, go back to the fingers and I can give give you a mild concussion!

I've been using a ported Peavey bottom w/2 15" Black Widows for a long time and the bottom is unbelievable! For a practice amp, I use a 25 watt Ampeg with a 12" speaker. It's OK for acoustic jamming but, plug in a couple of electrics or get a half dozen acoustic six strings going and the bottom just ain't there.

I've also found that using my Fender A/E bass through the Peavey sounds real sweet!

My $.02!

Originally posted by lapetrarca:

I must be an old dog! IMHO, there's nothing like the "kick in the chest" bottom that 15's deliver.

I've been using a ported Peavey bottom w/2 15" Black Widows for a long time and the bottom is unbelievable!

Have you ever tried a 8x10 instead? I had two Peavey 215BW cabs back in the '80s and together they were no match for just one of my SVT 810s. Nowhere near as much bottom. If you get the chance, try one and see.

• 1 month later...

I have a Fenderbassman 4x10 right now. I like the sound, kinda alot of high end though. Im thinking about getting a 15 or 2x12 to go under that, give it some more 'bass'. But, a friend has a SWR 4x10 Goliath he will sell for 400.

I wanna get some more low-end sounds but keep the highs (I love slap and bass chords) both cabs have horns, any advise would be cool. 4x10's or 115, 2x12's ?

Reed

My $.02 I use different speaker combinations for different types of gigs.

For my current band situation, T-40 dance with very low stage volume, I use my Peavey Combo 115. Sounds awsome and I dont need to turn up too loud. I take the preamp out and go through the house. The combo works great for this situation. No connecting the head with the cabs.

For rock/blues situations I use my Golliath II 410 cab. Usually I need to push more power through the speakers than is available with the combo.

For practice/jam situations I use the combo.

ikestr

...hertz down low....

I use two trace elliot cabs, one with a 15" and one with

2x10" + horn; so i really got the best of both worlds :)

i liked the bass and power from the 15", but when i got the tens a level of punch and definition was added that makes the whole thing great.

that 18" folded horn of thumber's sounds dope! to bad it my setup fills my car up completly (complete with a bass across the lap as i drive.. at least it makes me feel rich :D )

Well, my choice of speakers is evolving. I started with an SWR WM 15. It was great and I've gotten great feedback from listeners and bandmates. Then I needed MORE POWER. So, I went to an a head with a 4 x 10 and a 1 x 18. To be honest with you, I had a hard time with the 18 - not experienced enough dialing in a good EQ. I trade those in for a Bergantino 2 x 12 and 1 x 15. I really love those cabs.

I've used them alone and together and I can get the rumble and punch I want. However, I recently started using my Carvin PB100, it's got 1 x 10, and really loved the punch and tight response. So I bought an Eden 210XLT at 4 ohms. Now, my favorite medium sized club setup is the 2 x 10 and the 2 x 12.

With that setup, I hardly need to EQ at all except to mess with the mids to compensate for the room. The small club setup is the 1 x 15.

One interesting thing as an aside to the speakers is the tweeters. With my SWR and Eden cabs, I've always turned down or off the tweeters. That may have something to do with me playing mostly reggae so far. With the Bergantinos, the tweeters aren't harsh, at all. That really really seems to make a difference when using them alone.

Anyone using those Euphonic Audio cabs that have the 8" drivers?

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

Very first cab was a Guild 2x12, back in the 60's; then two Kustom 3x15s; then a pair of Kustom 2x15s for years, then a series of Peavey 1x15 combos. Now I use an Eden Nemesis 210 most of the time and a GK1001RB plus Peavey 410TXF when I need loud.

So 10s for me - I like the punch and, IMHO, you can get as deep with 10s as with 15s with good drivers in a properly designed cabinet. Case in point - when I got my Nemesis 210 I had a Peavey Combo 115. The Peavey was a really good 115 combo, 300 solid watts, the Black Widow speaker is a great speaker, but it weighed over 100 lbs and it was a real pain to move it around by myself. I got the Nemesis because it is smaller and weighs half that. Much to my surprise, in careful direct comparison, the Nemesis got louder and deeper (as well as sounding more hi-fi.)

And the Peavey 410TXF holds its own with any 2x15 I have heard, down to low B.

But Ed sure has me curious with his Bergantino 1x12s...

I have been using 2 Hartke 4X10 cabinets for years. Mainly because I invested in one 4X10 Hartke bottom 6 years ago and needed something for outdoor gigs so I went with another Hartke cainet. Love the punchy mids, nice highs. Better cabinets are definitely out there like Eden, SWR. For the money, Hartke's not bad.

Currently using the bi-amp GK800, the 100W stage drives an Ampeg Classic 2x10, great for practice and medium rooms. Then when the big gun is required I have a 1x18 cab which I add, Big Ben I think it's called, fed from the 300w spigots, then blend as room conditions require. Big Ben doesn't get out much as the PA's end up doing most of the work anyway.

Regards,

Popeye

I have to side with the 10's. I used to have a 4x10 SWR Goliath III and really loved it. Ran it with an SWR Bass 350 head. I wasn't gigging so I got rid of it. When a gig opportunity came along a couple weeks later, I went with the SWR Super Redhead Combo. I love it. 2x10 works great. POrtable and powerful. Plenty of sound for rehearsals, and when gig time comes, DI to the PA with plenty of power and low end. No trouble getting air moving with 2 pairs of 18" subs.

Just my two cents.

I use a Yorkville (Canadian, eh) Bassmaster 400 combo. It has a 15" and a tweater and is well ported. It's the most functional amp I've owned in my ten years of playing. Incredible lows but the highs will punch right through when soloing.

Archived