Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sadowsky preamp - works great!

Ben

The Sadowsky preamp, much praised in The Bottom Line, sounds great when your bass tech doesn't screw it up. My bass tech made a mistake installing said preamp. I have spoken to him harshly.

PS. Roger Sadowsky doesn't like anyone else installing his preamps so I bought a used one and had my tech install it in my MTD Beast and it sounds great now that I have severely castigated the tech who installed it. Who has seen the error of his ways.

PPS. Apologies to Roger if you are out there.

PPPS. Uhhh - I'm my own bass tech... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, you need to fire that tech and make sure you give him bad references wherever he may go. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Not that I'm looking to further abuse your (former) tech, but what was wrong? The mistake might serve as a good hint for the rest of us.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Gonna make me confess my sins in public, eh?

The preamp is in a metal case so the potentiometers used have a short threaded section. To fit into a bass, you need pots with longer threaded sections since the wood in the bass body is thicker than the metal in the box. Rummaging through my spare parts box, I found a longer-threaded pot that was the wrong value, 250k instead of 500k. Figuring it wouldn't make that much difference, I went ahead and put it in. Wrong! (Even with the pot turned all the way up, the other leg of the pot is still connected to ground, and at 250k was draining off a lot of the signal.)

Dumb, dumb, dumb! What Bob Gollihur said in the other post made me think things through again and realize what I had done...

I put a 500k pot back in and everything works fine.

When you said that you were your own tech, I thought you meant that after someone else had worked on it. My apologies for not reading carefully enough and asking you to air your dirty laundry.

Still, you have helped anyone that works on their own rig by reminding them of the importance of using proper parts. Thanks again...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived