Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Busy players who sell lots of records

dansouth

Well, if we can laud the "keep it simple" guys, how about busier players who have still managed to meet with a lot of commercial success. I'm not talking about Bass Day stylists who sell albums only to other bass players. I'm thinking more of players like Verdine White of Earth, Wind, and Fire - busy players who support groups or artists that have sold millions of albums.

Who are your favorite busy yet highly successful players?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys like Dee Murray (Elton John)...John Entwhistle (The Who)...Decon Jones (Queen)...John Paul Jones (Zep) and basically anyone in a good solid 3 piece band (always my fav to play in). These are the guys holding down the bottom..filling the gaps...and NEVER getting any credit LOL!!!

------------------

With album selling players, I'd have to go with Jason Newsted of Metallica, and David Ellefson of Megadeth. Both have sold millions of albums while holding down the low end of heavy metal juggernaughts. Also, you can't forget Bootsy Collins with James Brown, and Parliament. I guess not my favorites, but a lot of recognition has to go out to the studio/tour bassists behind Britney, Backstreet, NSync, etc. as well.

HOw can we forget the likes of Bill Wymann(Stones)...Jeff Amnett (sp?) (Pearl Jam)...Chris Squire (Yes)...Geddy Lee (Rush)...and any of the GREAT studio Bassists back in the 50's, 60's and 70's...James Jamerson to name one. Heck, lets face it...behind every good band is a pretty darn good, if not great bassist!! (ok, so I'm biased!)

------------------

This message has been edited by T-Bone on 07-24-2001 at 02:38 AM

I have to chime in with my two cents here. Not only does this bass player not recieve the credit he deserves, the drummer and guitar player are slighted as well. They sell millions of recordings, tour when they feel like it to packed houses, and write music that is complex and has great lyrics. The band is of course, RUSH. Geddy, Alex and Neil are fantastic players that just don't get the kudos they deserve. Geddy was extremely infuential in my early years as a bass player. He still kicks ass.

------------------

http://home.earthlink.net/~sjcarriere/lesson.html

All excellent players, and all very supportive sidemen despite busy styles. I really like to listen to Phil Lesh. The man knows no boundaries, yet he never left the Dead without a groove.

Has anyone mentioned Francis Rocco Prestia of Tower Of Power? Amazing player! Also Anthony Jackson from his Chaka Kahn years and Marcus Miller from the Luther Vandross band (I think that's who he played for).

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

I think the genius behind all of these players is their respective abilities to play a lot of notes without cluttering up the song. That's why they sell so many records. Hmm...how do they do that?

What do you mean "how do they do that?" Isn't that what your next set of articles is going to be about? Stop teasing us like that, or we'll start up the "boiling" and "Ed on ER" threads again. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Please add Tim Bogert to the excellent list compiled here.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Chuck Rainey and Walter Becker - Steely Dan

Graham Maby - Joe Jackson

Dave Hope - Kansas

Greg Lake - ELP

If I recall correctly, James Jamerson and Wilton Felder played on most of the early Jackson 5 hits.

Archived