Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fretless

WokWok

Hi, my name is Anton Woldhek.

I am 19 years old, live in the Netherland, been playing the bass for 8 of them now.

I recently bought a new bass, a Sandberg Fretless 4 string (my other bass is a 4 string Ibanez SR-1000, talk bout talking a huge step forward http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I am looking for instructional material for the fretless. The book i have know is "The bass bible" by westwood, which is nice, helps me get ideas.

Anyway, the tab is too distracting, i cannot focus on the score.

i am looking for a fretless/jazz/music theory type book(s) preferablly with cd's.

Any suggestions are more then welcome.

Cheers

Anton

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get vol.1&2 of F.Simandal's String bass method and also the accompianing Etude book. Jaco Pastorias practiced these books relentlessly for years and he had monster chops. I used them all through college and still practice with them to this day. The patterns you will learn will serve you well for the rest of your life. By the time you can rip through three books, you will be competent enough to play just about any style you want and read any charts they may throw at you in a studio. (If this adds any credibility to what I have told you, I've been playing for over 40 years and my bass collection includes a '63 Fender fretless, a Zon six string and a Dean 8-string fretless) Good luck with your career.

Bravo to previous post. I also use the Simandl books for myself and my students. Electric, upright, fretted or fretless, the book goes position by position, through all keys major and minor. It is a great resource. Other options are Rufus Reid "Evolving Bassist" and Ray Brown "Bass Method." Granted these are geared to upright and jazz, but they are great.

As far as play along CD's, these don't have them. That's OK. You need to listen and work on pitch and position. For play a long, just get any of the many books for bass in whatever style and play. It is great practice to try and match pitch with a fretted instrument as a guide.

>

Originally posted by Sparkz480@aol.com:

> Get vol.1&2 of F.Simandal's String bass method and also the

> accompianing Etude book. Jaco Pastorius practiced these books

> relentlessly for years and he had monster chops.

Well, hey if this is what Jaco did, cant hurt to try and see if it works for me. Will i need a teacher to help me with these books, or will I be able to do this on my own (btw I have been taught for 8 years, private lessons, so it was like do what you feel like, only the last couple of years have I been doing score reading (and not tab) and more jazz type things).

Cheers

Anton

I think a teacher never hurts. Although, you could work through these yourself I guess. Even as a teacher I find that I learn when I am teaching. I find that as I am watching and working with the student to point out things they do and may want to change, they also mention things that I do. Sometimes it makes me take a look at my playing as well.

Jaco's instructional video, though very hard to find is a grrrreat thing to see. He uses a fretted bass for much of it but in the "jam" section at the end he's fretless. Another good video is Joni Mitchell's "Shadows and Light" concert with Jaco in fine fretless form along with Pat Metheney.

I've been playing fretless almost exclusively for about 15 years now and I can surely say that *watching* a good fretless player is the best instruction, there are many more subtleties to playing fretless that are best learned by seeing how the sounds are created, picking up techniques and tricks !

• 2 weeks later...

Archived