Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best ever recorded bass performances

dansouth

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Young Man Blues" by the Who on the original Live at Leeds

"Feel So Good" by Jefferson Airplane 30 Seconds Over Winterland

All of Scott Thunes' playing on Zappa's "Does Humor Belong in Music?"

Oh boy....you know I can't just think of ONE....Not nessesarily in this order

"September" by EWF-Verdine White man!

"Notorius" DD-John Taylor

"Just Kidding"-Anthony Jackson with Michelle Camilo

"Lessons in Love" L42-Mark King

"Chicago Song" Marcus Miller with David Sanborn

"The Phantom of the Opera" IM-Steve Harris

"Got a match?" Pattitucci with Chick Corea

"5-5-7" Steve Rodby with Pat Metheny

"Fool in the Rain" JPJ with Zep

Best bass in a ballad? "Everytime You Go Away" Pino Palladino...

"Word to your mother"

The Jam........Graham Central Station

Take Me Higher......Sly and The Family Stone

Tom Sawyer.....Rush

ANYTHING BY JAMES BROWN OR HERBIE HANCOCK AND THE HEADHUNTERS

JUNGLE BOOGIE..KOOL AND THE GANG

CROSSROADS....CREAM

KINDA BLUE...MILES DAVIS

KNOCK ME DOWN...RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

RAPPERS DELIGHT.../IE...CHIC

TOMMY THE CAT...PRIMUS

A FEW OF MY FAVES

Blow me away?

Mayor Of Simpleton - XTC

Brother Bill - Cactus (Tim Bogert)

Young Mans Blues or Substitute - Live at Leeds

Lip Service and I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea

- Elvis Costello and the Attractions

Changed my playing?

Something - Beatles

Ramble On - Led Zepplin

Thanks for all the contributions. I'll be trying to dig up the ones I don't know (sadly - quite a few).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Stanley Clarke - "School Days"

Alfonso Johnson - "Alivemotherforya"

Louis Johnson - "Look Out For #1"

Anthony Jackson - Public Access" w/Eyewitness (Steve Khan)

Jaco Pastorious - "Jaco Pastorius"

Marcus Miller - "Straight to the Heart" w/David Sanborn

Paul Chambers - Anything he did.

Ray Brown - Anything he plays.

Dave Holland - "Extentions" or

I have left so much stuff off this list that I am ashamed, but I am confident the rest of you guys will pick up the slack.

On acoustic bass,

Eddie Gomez - "Bill Evans Live In Tokyo"

Scott LaFaro - "Bill Evans Live At The Village Vangaurd"

Neils Henning Orsted Pederson - "Chops" w/ Joe Pass

On electric

Of course Jaco's first CD

Weather Report's "Heavy Weather"

Marcus Miller on David Sanborn's "As We Speak"

Larry Graham "GCS, Release Yourself, My Radio Sounds Good To Me"

And tons of other stuff, more than I can mention.....

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Chops by Pass and NHOP? what a great CD!! I just couldn't believe that it was an upright bass when I first heard it - the versions of Oleo and Have You Met Miss Jones on there are just outstanding...

Fave bass performances?

Historically, the ones that changed my playing when I first heard them would include

Got A Match? (Patitucci with The Electric Band)

Black Market Live (Jaco with Weather Report)

The Enormous Room (Michael Manring)

Colibri (Randy Hope Taylor with Incognito)

Open Letter To A Landlord (Muzz Skillings with Living Colour - I couldn't believe anyone could play that fast when I first heard it! :o)

Whatever the insane latin tune is with the solo bass intro on Frontline by Koinonia (Abe Laboriel)

Too Shy ( Nick Beggs with Kajagoogoo)

School Days (Stanley Clarke live in Montreux, from a TV show in the late 80s - blew my mind!!!!)

Live To Tell (Kermit Driscoll with Bill Frisell - yes, it's the Madonna tune, and it's amazing. The chord work in it is wonderful)

Cut Me To The Bone (Roscoe Beck with Robben Ford)

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

A couple of my faves are... The Lemon Song by Led Zep Sinister MinisterBelaFlek and the Flektones Live Artversion Digital Man Rush Tommy the Cat Primus Higher Ground RHCP

Blown away?

Well, I've been blown away by the playing of Guy N'Sangue. I've got 4 CDs with him playing on them and they are great!

John Luc Ponty - Tchokola

John Luc Ponty - No Absolute Time

Papa Wemba - Molokai

Sans Papiers - (I can't remember the name)

Listening to his playing, combined with all the great tips and tricks from everyone here has really helped my playing! Ya know how certain styles can get in your head (or even instruments) and they introduce a new musical muse in your head? Well, that's what Guy's playing has done.

Anyway, what about all those recommendations for the bass player for Yanni? I remember reading some raves and was wondering what CDs y'all would recommend.

Great thread!

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

Just get "Live at the Acropolis" to start. Great bass performance.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Yanni's bassist is Ric Fierabracci (sp?) he's a killer. I saw him backing up Brian Bromberg and he really impressed me.

The NHOP/Joe Pass recording of "Chops" is an all time classic. I recommend it to drummers as a practice CD because the time is so good, you can set your watch to it! Neils' tone is a bit electric-y, I think he was using the Pierre Joseph String Charger pickup. His articulation is so amazingly clean, it's hard to believe it's an upright. I was deeply influenced by his long, swinging solo lines, and fantastic time. His sound back in the 70's was not my favorite, but back then bassists didn't have a lot of choices for amplification. The Eddie Gomez performance on the Bill Evans In Tokyo CD was just a pure microphone sound, and they totally captured the sound of his bass! Worth hearing for that reason too!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Note for note, I'd have to say that Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen is the best bassist I've ever heard. His technique on both upright and electric is mind boggling. It's like taking a better version of both Jaco and Ron Carter and mixing them into one guy. How can anyone be that good?

Amazing bass recordings:

NHOP - various, mostly with Oscar Peterson

Jaco (solo) - Donna Lee

Jaco (Weather Report) - Teen Town, Havona, Port Of Entry

Paul McCartney (The Beatles) - Rain

John Entwhistle (The Who) - The Real Me

Geddy Lee (Rush) - Digital Man, Limelight, Free Will

Peter Cetera (Chicago) - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Bernard Edwards (Chic) - Good Times, Le Freak

David Brown (Santana) - Dance Sister Dance

Francis Rocco Prestia (Tower Of Power) - everything

Verdine White (Earth, Wind, and Fire) - September

Nathan Watts (Stevie Wonder) - Sir Duke

Pino Palladino (Paul Young) - Every Time You Go Away

Chuck Rainey (Steely Dan) - Kid Charlemagne

Chris Squire (Yes) - Roundabout

Dave Hope (Kansas) - Carry On Wayward Son

Leland Sklar (James Taylor) - Whenever I See Your Smiling Face

Sting (Sting) - They Dance Alone

Victor Wooten (Flecktones, solo) - everything

Ricky Brooks (The Nixons) - Sister

Donald "Duck" Dunn (Stax) - everything

James Jamerson (Motown) - everything

Well, I may not be correct, but as far as I know, NHOP doesn't play electric bass. At least, I've never seen a recording of him on it. Do you know the names of any records he's played electric bass on? I'd be very curious to hear what he sounds like.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

Well, I may not be correct, but as far as I know, NHOP doesn't play electric bass. At least, I've never seen a recording of him on it. Do you know the names of any records he's played electric bass on? I'd be very curious to hear what he sounds like.

I used to have a vinyl recording of NHOP with Oscar Peterson at one of the Montreax festivals. I "thought" I was hearing a fretless electric being played with incredible speed and dexterity. If he was actually playing this stuff on an upright, I'm even MORE amazed. I'll do some research and get back to you.

Re. Ric Fierabracci (Yanni bassist)

he's on the new Frank Gambale double live CD 'Resident Aliens' - it's an official bootleg, recorded direct to DAT, so the quality isn't perfect, but the playing is OUTSTANDING. I've had it on in the car driving round LA for the last two days, and I love it. Gambale is a monster, and very few bassists could keep up, but Ric does a great job. Check it out at http://www.frankgambale.com

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Dan South said:"I used to have a vinyl recording of NHOP with Oscar Peterson at one of the Montreax festivals. I "thought" I was hearing a fretless electric being played with incredible speed and dexterity. If he was actually playing this stuff on an upright, I'm even MORE amazed."

Well, Dan, I was amazed to learn that Jaco was playing fretless electric bass on Joni Mitchell's "Mingus" album, as I have several Mingus recordings and was sure I was hearing an upright bass played by someone who "got" Mingus. (And I do think Jaco "got" the Mingus feel for bass, and added a lot to it of his own, even if he wasn't playing what I thought I heard.)

I mentioned Christian McBride in an earlier posting... it is amazing to me that he plays a Jaco bass line from Jaco's Weather Report days on his new "Sci-Fi" CD, a tune which Jaco originally played on a fretless elecric, and that Christian played for this recording on an upright bass, 16th notes and all.

If anyone is still reading this thread, I would like to pop in with two rather unconventional ones:

Donald "Duck" Dunn on "Hip Hug Her" by Booker T. and the MGs. Yeah we all *think* we know this line, but go back and listen to it again. Notice the extra off-beat octave he drops in at the end of the main hook? That is what makes the line WORK, man. Play it straight like it *seems* like he is playing it, and the line is boring an uninteresting. Play that extra tweak at the end, and the line grooooooves!

Meshell Ndegeocello on "I'm Diggin You (Like an Old Soul Record)" off of her first album, Plantation Lullabies. Two notes. Just TWO NOTES, man. And that like grooves SO HARD. Brilliant stuff.

These two examples show what can be done with fewer notes, but the RIGHT notes!

- Christian

Budapest, Hungary

This is a tough one. No right answer but lots of discussion. I guess that's the point. I think that there are just too many to mention. You'd have to get into different styles, era's, etc.

What about bass lines that might not be the toughest to play, but really set the groove for the tune.

My brain is hurting thinking about it.

Okay...all kidding aside, here are my real picks...

The obvious ones (Stanley, Jaco) are going to get mentioned, so I'll go for the lesser known gods amongst us mere mortals...

Mike Richmond on his solo album "Basic Tendencies." All Middle Eastern/Indian flavored compositions. One tune has him furiously trading solos with an amazing Oud player whose name unfortunately escapes me.

Charles Mingus on "Live at Antibes, '60". Mingus and Dannie Richmond groove like two halves of the same brain...and his soloing and duet with Eric Dolphy over "What Love?" has gotta be heard to be believed.

Scott LaFaro with Bill Evans on "Live at the Village Vanguard". This man had to have been from another planet. He then planted the seeds of his off-world civilization into the brains of Eddie Gomez and Stanley Clarke. That has to be the only explanation! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Oscar Pettiford - Anything!

Graham Maby on Joe Jackson's "Summer in the City - Live in New York". His wonderfully understated-yet-amazing solo on "Another World" is just great.

Chuck Rainey on Steely Dan's "Aja". The groove on "Peg" is great. Slapping that doesn't sound like slapping!

Tony Levin on every Peter Gabriel and King Crimson record. The man rocks.

Johnathan Maron on any Groove Collective record. Great sound, great groove, just great, man...wow.

John Paul Jones on Led Zeppelin "II" and "Houses of the Holy". Fat, funky, and ballsy as hell...the way rock bass should be.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Graham Maby on Joe Jackson's "Summer in the City - Live in New York". His wonderfully understated-yet-amazing solo on "Another World" is just great.

Chuck Rainey on Steely Dan's "Aja". The groove on "Peg" is great. Slapping that doesn't sound like slapping!

Graham ROCKS! Steppin' Out is a monster bass tune.

Anyone know where I can find a transcription of Chuck's line on Peg? I've never been able to figure out what he's playing. (Verdine White has the same effect on me. He's another one of those "outer space" guys.)

Archived