Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B,E,A,D strings on a 4-string

KAP

I'd like to know if I can put B,E,A,D strings on a regular 4-string bass (Carvin LB70) wihtout having problems with too much/too little tension, strings not fitting in the nut, or floppiness of the string. I'm also wondering if I can tune them E,A,D,G, or if I have to use B,E,A,D tuning. Any advice will be appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Yamaha bass and I had the same thought once. So I asked the Yamaha bass guy (forget his name), and he said flatly that I'd need to re-file the nut and change the bridge to properly accomodate that big fat B. So I left it alone.

While waiting for responses on this forum, you might also ask about this at the Carvin website. They field a lot of different questions about their gear.

Well, I would advise against tuning the low four strings of a 5-string set up to EADG pitch unless your instrument's neck is made from a steel girder. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I assume you want to do this because you're unsatisfied with the thickness of the most ultra-heavy gauge strings available in 4-string sets? Modifying your 4-string into a BEAD instrument would probably require some modification at the nut and tweaking the truss rod/bridge saddles, etc, but it certainly is much more possible than your other suggestion...hell, Anthony Jackson did it prior to designing the 6-string. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

If you're unsure about how to proceed I would recommend going to a repairman.

It's no big deal. Did it years ago for my bassist (before I became a dweller of the low) for the songs we were writing. Actually the lowest string have *less* tension than the high ones you would be removing. You may have to let up on the truss rod afterwards. Be careful when filing the nut that you don't go deeper as you go wider or you may have to shim the nut.

yeah, didn't npotice that part about tuning strings up beyond their noraml pitch. You might make it a whole step, especially with the lowest strings, but if you manage to go a fourth up you are asking for high-tension disaster.

I recently made a BEAD bass out of an old peavey T-40. sounds great, cost nothing (well, had to buy the strings). As far as tuning back up to EADG, I don't think a normal neck could take that kind of strain for an extended amount of time. maybe a graphite neck could.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

You're right, BenLoy, I was tired of wimpy G-strings, they sound thin and weak.

I got a set of Dean Markley flatwounds, with a 50 gauge G. Hopefully they will do the trick. They're really smooth.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Archived