Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carvin basses?

bassmutt

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by plastic nut:

What do you mean? I thought ebony was a dense bright wood.

plastic - GOOD ebony, like Grade I ebony, is dense. There are 400+ species of ebony and there are other grades that some instrument makers use that isn't so dense. They use a black filler to close up slits in the grain and use a coloring/dye to hide the lighter streaks in the lower quality ebony. My guess is that Carvin uses Grade I African ebony, the desireable ebony.

As for brightness, I always found norther rock/hard maple to be brighter, especially if it has a poly finish. But ebony holds its own, IMO.

Many thanks Mr. Wiseman. I didn't find the exact model but the body looks just like a koa DC200 guitar intro'ed in 81. I'll have to get the serial # to narrow it down more.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Lug,

You could always email someone at Carvin with a request, they probably have a database of serial numbers. I saw the weirdest thing the other day at Chelsea Guitars (I'm in NY visiting my mom). It was a Carvin guitar neck set into theis bizzare contraption. I can't describe it, but I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, the guys at Carvin will love this!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived