Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One string better than you...

zujo

I went to this audition on Sunday night for a T40 band. Having played T40 for a few years I figured I wouldn't have a problem acing this audition. I even knew my harmony parts for the 5 tunes requested. As soon as I pulled my bass out of its bag, I got attitude from the lead singer, who is also the band leader. He asked me If I had a 5 string instead. I said "No, I don't own any 5 string basses" He said-"Well you are going to need it"

Someboby else interrupted us and asked us to go on with the audition. Like I said I think that pretty much I nailed every tune.

Last night I get a call from the drummer in this band and he tells me. -"You know, they decided to go with someone else, but I'd like to keep your number for future reference" I told him. "Did they go with someone who had a 5 string?" The guy says -"yes I think so". I told him, "Well you know exactly what happened here, you guys took my time to learn the songs and mi time to audition and you didn't even know what you wre looking for. It's down right scary to think that ONE string is going to make all the difference in the world. Well I hope this extra string makes this guy responsible and reliable, because that's also what you were getting from me. Keep my number but don't call me if you are still working with this A*****E"

Today I put a bass string in the mail and sent it to the lead singer's attention with a note.

"In case it doesn't work out with the bass player you picked, here's an extra string for the next 4 string sucker on your list"

"Word to your mother"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well obviously this singer is a seasoned pro because he knows you can't possibly lay down a fat groove with 4 strings. What an idiot, just think this guy would have sent James Jamerson home by that logic. I say u post his phone number so we can all give him a call. J/K

Don't sweat it, keep groovin' and long live the 4!!!!

Right on, right on.

Beware of any band where the singer makes the decisions. It's destined to be a nightmare. You're better off not getting the gig.

The bass may not have been the only factor. Maybe the other guy is really good. Maybe they thought his personality fit in better. Maybe he was a friend, and the audition was a sham. Who knows? Personally, for reasons mentioned in the first paragraph, I think you got the better end of the deal.

My "real" job is a consultant, and it is amazing how often ads are placed and interviews (read auditions) are held, without the true requirements being stated. Obviously the songs on the audition list didn't require you to go to a lower string (though it's possible that they may be expanding into that area). Why didn't they say that? I agree that they wasted your time. I also agree with everyone's idea that the organization here was not the best. I've played with a few wackos, but even those of us that are closer to normal can be a challenge to a band. The situation you described sounds like the wrong situation for you.

Hope the right opportunity comes up soon. My experience has been that the bad stuff makes you appreciate the good stuff when it comes.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I remember Lee Sklar used to have a "producer" switch on one of his basses. It wasn't wired to anything, but when they asked him to change his settings, he'd conspicuously flick the switch, and the producer would suddenly be happy.

Maybe you could drill into your headstock and install a 5th tuner, without putting a string on it, and then the next closed-minded bandleader might be fooled.

(Not that you'd want to actually do this, just to work with such a person. It would be fun to see if one could get away with it, though!)

------------------

Jeff Addicott

http://www.jeffnet.org/~addicott/bass.html

I agree that the band sounded like a situation you'd be best to avoid. Let's say you got the gig, then what? The singer would be all over you about something else like your hair, or your amp, or your shoes, or maybe you don't SMILE enough (that's what they aways told me!). Consider yourself lucky.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I got tossed from a gig because I'm overweight and would not wear leather pants or a liquid metal shirt. They told me it was because I had an attitude problem and a big ego. They guy they replaced me with is a hugh jerk and isn't nearly as good of a bass player as I am, but he's skinny and will wear the leather pants and liquid metal shirts. Keep in mind that you are a much better person than that guy was. He was biased towards 5-stringers and though 4-stringers aren't quite capable of playing covers. I feel sorry for the guy they got instead of you. I just wouldn't lose too much sleep over the ordeal. You would have been miserable.

what's scary is I've herd that kind of BS from another bassist. Last summer I was in the Seattle area and decided to check out Mike Lull's shop. While I was talking to him about the music seen up there, he said a lot of band leaders won't hire you if you don't have and use a five string. I don't get it!

Tony

You were probably lucky the band leader didnt ask you to do backflips off of the bass drum. Sounds like another person trying to fill a role that they cannot fill. The singer was probably looking for immage rather than talent. I play 4 and 5 string and most ask for the five if we need it or not. Weird huh?

Also pardon my stupidity but what is a T40 band anyway

feeling dumb

-Fish

I wish I had shown up at the audition with my Conklin 7-string! The singer probably would have wanted to marry me!

...erm...on second thought, maybe I am glad I didn't get the gig! :-)

- Christian

Budapest, Hungary

Craig knows his old basses! I turned my old T-40 into a BEAD bass about

2 weeks ago. B string articulation is awsome, alomost like it was designed for it. I any of you got an old T-40 in "inactive mode" (I never get rid of gear), try this mod. You may have to bore out the bridge hole a little

(string thru body) depending on B string guage and a little filing on the brass nut and presto - great low B for almost nil dollars.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Hey guys! Thanks for all your answers to my posting. I guess we all deal with this kind of BS eventually. I know it's better that I didn't get the gig but missing it in that way made temporarily insane ( this gig paid exptremelly well acording to all the mucicians in the band.

I am going to follow Lug's advice and consider re-stringing one of my "fours" to BEAD. Who now maybe they'll buy that one the next time.

Just for the record, yes none of the audition tunes required a low B and I meant TOP 40(cover band) when I said T40 band.

Peace

"Word to your mother"

From another perspective....why not get a 5 string? I think a professional player should have one and be familiar with it, even if you are partially to the 4. I remember back in the 80's (man, it feels weird to say that) when the 5 first came out, i was dead set against getting one. I thought it was a fad, I didn't like the way they sounded (the axe has come a long way from the crappy 5's of 1984), I didn't want to follow the trend, and my '74 Fender Jazz was all I wanted to play. Eventually, I decided to get one because I started to see more and more demand for it in my work. You couldn't do session work back then without one.

So, this time it was an ego-riddled singer from a T40 band that discriminated against you for playing a 4 string. What if you get a studio call from a producer doing lots of work and he wants you to play a 5? You gonna say "No way, I'm a 4 stringer dead or alive!" I hope not!

5's are nice too. Nowadays I feel most at home on it. So maybe you SHOULD check one out anyway!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Ed,

well that's a different story, if the gig really does require a 5. Sounds like it wasn't really needed in this case.

I used to have a 5 string but gave it up because there wasn't vary many instances were I needed it . A lot of the time I play down on the low C and B and it wouldn't fit with the song. It sounded like there was too much space between the bass and the guitars. I don't usually go any farther than D. So I got a D tuner fore my 4.

I could see using a 5 in a band were the guitars down tune to C, or in a full ensemble were there are other bass instruments. I'm still not convinced that Five's are a must have.

Tony

I agree, Tony. I had an awesome Jazz 5 Deluxe and traded it for a Stingray 4. Virtually everything I played on the B could be done on either the E or the A. I feel more versatile on a 4. I've played one for 14 years and a 4 just feels like a natural extension of my body. I think in 4. The 5 feels awkward. I bought it because I was in a cover band and "thought" I needed it. I really only needed it on 2 songs out of 50. To me, that isn't worth it. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise, but until then, I most likely won't play one again. I can personally do more with a 4 detuned than a 5 in 440. Maybe that's just me. I think this is another personal preference thing. If I lose a job because I don't play a 5, oh well. It's their loss. Another job will come along soon enough.

Well, one of the biggest advantages of the 5 string has nothing to do with the low notes. You get more positions! I don't use the low notes alot, on some gigs, maybe not at all. But I DO play the normal range all the time on the B string above the 5th fret. The notes are fuller up there and if you have a good 5, they are clear and in tune. I play alot around the 12th fret on the B with the thumb/mute technique to simulate the upright for straight ahead gigs,I can also play the guide tones on the D and G strings while walking a bass line up there or comping Latin figures. I talk about this in my new book (shamelss commerce dept!) The Working Bassist's Toolkit. As a matter of fact, it's the 5 string chapter that's up as a free sample at the Backbeat Books site. See the folder "A Special Treat For Bass Station Fans" for the link.

For soloing, I have more positional opportunities on the 5 too. So, even if you never play the low notes, the 5 is a very useful axe. Think about it!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I decided to go the five-string route three years ago, not because I saw it as a requirement for playing covers, but I found that as a composer, I wanted to go down to Eb, D, and C# regularly. (I occasionally hit low C's, but I have yet to use the open B.)

Anyway, I'm a busy non-pro with a day job, and I don't have time to practice a lot of different basses, so I made the five my main bass. I practice on a Precision-style bass twice a week just to keep it feeling familiar.

I'm considering stringing one of my fives E-A-D-G-C, because IMHO that's a better tuning for jazz. I've never played the B string on a traditional jazz song, and the C string would be nice for solos. Anyone else use this tuning? Can you buy string sets in this configuration, or do I need to buy a six-string set?

Well as far as the "need" for a 5 is concerned I guess it depends on your personal situation. If your a pro studio cat that makes a living at it you will have to own one, if all your gigs are down at the local watering whole playing blues and R&B you probably don't "need" one. To each his own I guess. I myself am a die hard 4 string Fender man. I've tried other high end basses but I always come back to the fretless J-bass. If your ever in Los Angeles you HAVE GOT TO go to LaVeeLee on a tuesday night and hear a guy named MARCO MENDOZA. This guy will absolutely blow your mind. He plays a 6 string fretless, sings, mouths conga parts, all simultaneously. I'm talking seriously snycopated stuff. This guy is very musical with the 6 and definetly uses the full range of the instrument over the course of the night. I'm pretty sure Ed is familiar with him and can give an amen to this. Marco is SUPERBAD. He has a SMOKING trio that has a live CD available if anyone wants to check him out.

Ed

Back in the 80's I also was a die hard 4 str. player. Exclusively!

But now I picked up a 6 str. Carvin and love it. I love the stability

of the neck. I play this thing almost all the time now.

------------------

Thank you,

Craig S. Leyh

CraigLeyh@FrameBand.com

Keep It Low!

Thank you,

Craig S. Leyh

CraigLeyh@NVSMedia.com

Keep It Low!

<<>>

Dude, I agree man. I got their CD. The other two cats in the trio are:

Joey Heredia-Drums

Renato Nieto-Keyboards

They are also BAAAAAD

They are the real deal!!! And they are soooo underrated!!! They do a great version of "Ain't no sunshine", you might've heard it. And what's with that bass line? How in the world could you do that on a 4 string?

"Word to your mother"

>>They are the real deal!!! And they are soooo underrated!!! They do a great version of "Ain't no sunshine"<<

Yeah that is a great version, I especially like "I feel good", and "Living for the city". Hard to believe that it's 3 guys LIVE with NO overdubs or sequences!!!. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen them guys do it! I lived in L.A. for 10 years and I used to go down to LaVeeLee and hear him all the time. It's a trip because the place is so tiny. I mean you're sitting there eating a bowl of pasta and you damn near have to cover your plate to keep Marco from sweating in it. The vocal/bass solo ala G. Benson in "One note samba" is pretty dope too. Glad to see someone else has heard of him.

Yeah, I agree about Marco Mendoza! He is a superbly fluid player that oozes groove. The band is amazing, tight and very original in their cover versions of classic R&B tunes. He's also a very humble and straight ahead guy. I did a story on him in BP, go to www.edfriedland.com/articles.html and check it out!

Interestingly enough, while Marco does all his fusion/r&b/jazz stuff on fretless 6 string, he also tours and records with Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy and David Coverdale. On those gigs he plays a 4 string P-Bass!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived