Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need suggestions for acoustic bass problem...

Tedster

Okay, if no one here hates me too much now...

Our bass player just bought an acoustic bass w/piezo, with the intention of using it on our acoustic set. Never have been exposed to these beasts much, it just always seemed cool.

Problem: An inordinate amount of string noise, fret clicks, etc. Any ideas on reducing this? I'm sure flatwound strings would help. Anyone else successfully attacked this problem?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, i hate to sound like a wise guy, but if he looked into the new Yamaha BEX4C Hollow Body he might find that will work better as it has both a piezo and a humbucking pick-up with active electronics. Dialing in the humbucker will probably squelch the string noise. But i have not tried one of these beautiful looking instruments, and have yet to find a review of one, so proceed with caution.

I play an ABG for some songs in our 5 piece band, and use it full time for the occaisional trio gigs we do (acoustic gutiar, sax/flute and me). I would suggest going with flat wound strings - I have a set of Thomastik-Infield Jazz Flats on my Taylor AB-3 fretless and they sound great. I have some rounds on my fretted Taylor and tried using it the other night when I was under the weather and not feeling up to maintaining intonation all night, and it wasn't much fun - lots of fret and string noise I was not accustomed to. You should also try rolling off the highs - that usually takes care of finger noise for me. With an ABG in an acoustic setting you're probably going for a fat, thumpy URB type of sound anyway (or at least I do ;-), so you don't need a lot of highs anyway. My only ABG experience is with my Taylors, which I love, and I run their preamps with the bass almost all the way up and the treble most of the way down, otherwise they get to brassy bright and "bluegrass guitarish" - not what I'm looking for in a bass. Hope this helps,

Steve

Archived