Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G&L L2000

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a really old one (c.1981) with all the finish sanded off, and I love it. It plays fantatic (if you like wider necks, which I do) and the electronics are a gas to play around with.

With some of my other basses, I eventually settle on one setting, but with the G&L, I'm fiddling with the controls all night long, getting the best setting for each particular song. Both pickups in parallel + treble boost is way cool for slap. The neck pickups in series in passive mode is good for a P-bass sound, and the bridge pickup in series in active mode has a quasi-Music Man / Jaco vibe.

------------------

Jeff Addicott

http://www.jeffnet.org/~addicott/bass.html

This message has been edited by Jeff Addicott on 03-19-2001 at 04:26 PM

Hi Ed, would that be considered as a good price? I bought mine brand new for $750 or $795.....I think that's pretty cheap huh? But again it's L2000.

I totally agree with the neck PU being like P bass, and the bridge PU with jaco vibe. But has anybody encountered an overload(distortion) with it's electronics if you cranked up the volume pot? Mine does that. So I always have to put it about 3/4 up. I know for sure it's not my gain set-up on my amp and etc. The gain structure is correct, and it does that on everything, EFX pedals, pre-amp, console. So for sure it's the bass itself.

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

I saw an old G&L L1000 for sale here in Tucson, don't know exactly how old, but they wanted $695. It was in pretty good shape. Good deal?

Not good deal. I got my L-2000 (albeit modified) for $400, and I've seen numerous other G&Ls go on eBay in that ballpark. $700 for an old one is pretty high, especially for a single pickup model.

IMHO, older G&Ls in the $300-500 range are among the best values one can get for a cool old pro workhorse bass. They haven't risen in value like the Fenders, and yet the playability, tone and overall construction quality are generally much more impressive.

------------------

Jeff Addicott

http://www.jeffnet.org/~addicott/bass.html

My main bass is a G&L 2000. I ordered mine with the asat bass neck

(jazz neck width at nut) and really like this combination. This bass

has high output even in passive mode but I have not noted any distortion. I use an ampeg pre with a mackie 1400. The only problem I had was I had

to lower the pickups when I first received it to get the sound I wanted.

These are great basses and probably a good investment down the road.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by arvidgunardi@hotmail.com:

But has anybody encountered an overload(distortion) with it's electronics if you cranked up the volume pot? Mine does that. So I always have to put it about 3/4 up. I know for sure it's not my gain set-up on my amp and etc. The gain structure is correct, and it does that on everything, EFX pedals, pre-amp, console. So for sure it's the bass itself.

Mine doesn't do that. It sounds like you're overloading the onboard active circuit. Assuming you've tried changing the battery (a dying battery could easily cause distortion) maybe you should try lowering the pickups, so they don't give quite so hot a signal to the preamp. That's all I can think of.

Well, thanks for hipping me to the street price of G&Ls. I don't think I could buy one anyway, I've spent enough $ on stuff for awhile, I have to sell things now topay for it all! Anyone want to buy some newly reconed Eden 210XLTs? Anyway....

The G&L is an axe I never really got close to. I've played a few, usually got confused by all the switches, but a couple played real nice. I should try to get into it, afterall it's one of Leo's children.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I have an old G&L2000, earily 80's, and it is my favorite bass to play. Wish I had a 5 string as well. I bought it from a friend in '85 and it still sounds great! I love the variety of sounds, with new strings it is the bass for poppin'.

-David R.

-David R.

Archived