Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First Bass Memories

dtituspacbell.net

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Crestwood copy of a Hofner Beatle Bass...only instead of being a brown sunburst, it was more of a black to red sunburst. Been years! Ooh...gives me an idea for another thread...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Let me start with a precursor to playing bass. My first guitar was a no-name archtop acoustic my mom picked up at a garage sale. She was feeling guilty for having succeeded in convincing me to change my major from music education to accounting (I played trombone and baritone). It turned out to be a solid spruce top! I put silk and steel strings on it and worked out of a beginning mel bay guitar book.

Fast forward 20 years and my first bass is an old Ibanez ATK I found in the paper. It weighs a ton, but it has pretty good tone. I ripped the frets off it a few months ago (I got another bass).

The best memory of the bass is being at an open jam and having one of the bass players from a prominent local band play my bass and then go on and on that I should never sell this bass. hehehe.

Good thread!

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

Since this is my first response, I would like to say that Ed and you regular guys kick ass.

My first bass was a Sears (I think) P- Bass copy. It had a short scale neck and horribly suspect tone. I can't remember what the amp was, but I blew it up immediately.

My first bass was a Princeton, which was you red-black p copy. I got it from my cousin Jimmy after he bought a new Gibson EB-3. It was also after the bass had done some diving from a second floor window into his pool. That bass could take it, but was so hard to play compared to the Gibson (no surprise there considering the EB-3 size and all).

In '72, I bought my own EB-3 used for $200. Once I had my real guitar, I tried to cut down the body and shave the neck on the Princeton. I was going to put in new electronics and bridge, but I shaved right through to the rod, so I threw the whole thing out.

The EB-3 is the only instrument I've played since, and while it has some real strengths, I've started looking at 5 strings. Since I'm a hobbyist more than a paid player, it will be a while before I can afford the next bass. I'll make it a good one, but I'm still shopping to see what I want.

Maybe I should add the "dip in the pool" comment to the thread on how to care for strings - chlorine must be helpful in cleaning strings...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

My first bass was a Fender '78 Natural Ash-Body Precision I bought for $400 used in '94. It was butt-heavy, and had that thin, unexciting sound that many 70's P-Basses had at that time. The neck was really comfy though...it was tapered like a Jazz bass...

I ended up selling it to buy my Ernie Ball Stingray which is now my main bass. I'd still like to get a good Fender Jazz or something similar (Mike Lull/Sadowsky), but right now I'm happy with the 'Ray.

Great topic and great posts.

My first bass was a mid 80's G&L L2000. Black, heavy, bowed neck between the 12th and 15th frets on the D & G strings, knobs and toggles to keep me busy for days. Had it for a year or so then sold it for another bass.

Prompted by Ed's reminiscing of all the basses hes owned (cue Willie and Julio), I did the same. 12 basses in 13 years. The semi chronological list is:

G&L L2000, Fender Jazz, Musicman Stingray, Yamaha BB3000, 2 Tune Zi3 4's, another Musicman Stingray, another Fender Jazz, Fender Jazz 5 and currently in stock another Fender Jazz 5, Peavey Cirrus 5, Peavey G 5.

Looking at this list I feel a sad sense of remorse, I keep thinking "why did I sell any of those basses?". But alas, my heart will go on.

PS. Ed, Im double booked on Saturday, could your daughter sit in for me on one of the gigs?

Ike

...hertz down low....

<

Sure, if you don't mind losing your gig to a 12 year old! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Actually she's doing pretty good. I taught her how to play "Sunshine Of Your Love" (in E so she could use the open strings) and she picked up the whole tune pretty fast. We jammed on it and she hung in there for 4 times through the form without stopping. I played guitar (I stink) and the old Roland DR660 was our Ginger Baker. It was a real treat. Today after her trumpet lesson she said "I want to hear that Jaco tune you were talking about" (Portrait of Tracy). Just hope she doesn't expect me to teach her that one!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived