Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The controversial Mr. Berlin

dansouth

Dude, you thread killin' so and so! Just for that, the members of the Bass Station are going to chip in and buy you a two week intensive at Jeff Berlin's Player's School of Music! Let's get you in the ring with Uncle Jeff! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey you know what I always say...betta to be a threadkilla than a buttsniffa!

Me??? In the ring with JB???? LOL...he'd murderlize me in 2 seconds. I only weigh 136lbs and I'd say that JB outweighs me by at least 20-25 pounds (being polite)! Now if we could uses basses as weapons I think my Gibson RD Artist could cream him with his Dean JB Signature. ;-) I did shake his hand as he walked out of the Exit/In show at the Nashville NAMM show last summer and the guy has a monster grip! He just kinda looked at me like I was some deranged staking autograph hound or something but that's cool..he just got done tearing up the stage with Mitch Mitchell on drums and Larry Coryell on guitar. What a rare treat that was to see them play!

Seriously though, I am not even up to the minimum playing level to attend a school like Jeff's. (I really do have a hard time with Motley Crue Bass Tabs!). Carol Kaye sent me her tapes, books and video which I'll try to digest.

I took the 1 week intensive lesson with Jeff Berlin in Player School of Music in Florida. From my point of view, Jeff is a great guy; really! Maybe he's different in writing than in person. There's one thing that really impressed me when I was there; that was he never say anything was wrong with my playing. He supported me in thinking differently, and added lots and lots of knowledge in my bass playing. And as a student, that is one of the biggest support you can ever have. In my opinion, he's simply frank about stuff, and not a hipocrite. Obviously it all depends on you whether to accept that blindly or descern and choose which are the stuff you can "take in" and which you can't. In short, he's a great teacher in my opinion, that would sincerely teach you everything he has, and not held back anything. Honesty is what I'm looking for in a teacher, and that's what Jeff has!

Please don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to draw people from this site. I just thought that the following might be of interest to some folks.

I noticed on TalkBass.Com that Mr. Berlin will have his own forum titled, Ask Jeff Berlin!.

http://www2.apex.net/users/bonobo/sampsig01a.gif

Originally posted by Sampoerna:

Please don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to draw people from this site. I just thought that the following might be of interest to some folks.

I noticed on TalkBass.Com that Mr. Berlin will have his own forum titled, Ask Jeff Berlin!.

Hey, no problem it's a free internet (still). Glad to hear Jeff is going to do a forum. That should be very interesting reading.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Interesting news Sam...Michael Manring had his own column over at Talkbass.com but was asked to give it up by the publishers of Bass Player Magzaine as being a conflict of interest. Since both Michael and Jeff Berlin have regular columns in BP I wonder if JB will really be able to have a column on TB in the long run.

Hey, good to see some of my pals (Sam and of course Mr. Barr from "Man Land"??) over here! That's interesting Sam, I'll check it out. I still treasure my CD copy of "The Bruford Tapes", although not a technically great live recording, Jeff's tone comes through loud and clear. I think he and Bruford were a fabulous team. BTW, my email is always on.

I'm not from Indonesia, but the clove cigarettes (Sampoerna X-Tra) I used to smoke are. Quit smoking this last Thursday...feelin' groovy! Sampoerna is a family name in Indonesia and sometimes I get some odd e-mail. :)

I hope Mr. Berlin's forum does get to stick around. It's already started up (saw Dude's post) and look forward to seeing how it all pans out. :D

It's great seeing folks from the Fender forum and TBL 'round these parts. (*waves at jazzbass1 and Dude*) I learned about The Bass Station through my TBL lurking. :)

Sam:...LOL. Thought you're Indonesian because of the name. I'm Indonesian that's why. You're sayin' that there's Indonesian Cigarette in the states? Really? They're strong stuff, some brand like "Dji Sam Soe" even has a bit GANJA in it. I don't smoke, I just know em'. Really! Back to Jeff's issue again, I think Jeff should pay couple of his critiques to come to his school in Florida and experience Jeff personally. Cause he's cool(I think)...give da guy a break huh?

Archived