Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stupid heart stupid crush love

¾

of all things it is "Long Way Home" by Supertramp on the radio today that takes me right back to being in love for the first time.

and it was this time of year, with the turning of the leaves and the frost there on the breath and the sweaters fresh over the t-shirts. we were arm in arm for the first time and beaming eyes and ruddy cheeks betrayed our flirtive inroads into romance

and because of that love there were evenings spent on the low light sofa with the stereo on, playing of all things "Breakfast In America" by Supertramp because it had just come out and we had such a crush on each other that we allowed ourselves to invest in music and fuzzy teddy bears and trinkets we would normally not ever know anything about

we would sit there necking, kissing and groping in the low light while "Long Way Home" played

and I blew that romance

you always blow your first romance, ruin in it some way. Part of learning about love and life of course but that never lessens the heart break

and today I feel that heartbreak like it was just last night

stupid song to make my stupid heart feel all that stupid crush love all over again

I wonder if the album is still in my collection.....

why do I want to go there?

but we know we have too because delving back into the love crush heart really feels good in a sick, sick way. and odds are that a new song will come out of it.

is it worth the tormented love crushed heart?

why don't I just slice my wrists, wouldn't that be simpler?

yes. I still have the album.

pain fill me in, make me feel the pain

the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not the good songs

not the songs really, really worth writing

the best songs to write are the ones that are more painful to write than slicing your wrists. Slicing your wrists is a metaphor for taking the easy way out.

getting

nevermind

I find it amazing that when you are young and naive and have your first crush and think you are in love, even though you don't know what love is yet the feeling is so strong as to cary through the rest of your life.

I can still feel the pain of first love lost vividly to this day yet feeling I had as I got older seemed to dull more quickly and seem less real.

Perhaps this is a built in coping mechanism you learn as you grow but dont possess as a youngster and psychologically when you look back to the time of your first crush you see and feel it as you did then and not as you would now.

Either that or Dr Freud would have a field day with me on his couch!

I tend to use feelings I had when was younger to help shape emotional content of songs I write as I find the feelings I have as I get older also bring too much concious thought to the process and get in the way somewhat.

Just my two bob really.

all the best

Mark

Growing old is inevitable....Growing up is optional !

Funny thing, I wrote reams of songs when I was younger that I never performed because for some reason they did not connect.

Now that I am several years old (and wiser I hope) the experience have help to inform the performance. What I wrote when I was "profound and serious" at 16 years old suddenly come into focus. "Ahhh . . so that's what those words meant"

Anybody making a study of my songwriting output would probably say "this writer really matured as a writer" not knowing that I am stretching farther back into my youth for 'new' songs.

On the other hand, the new lyrics I do write tend to be simpler, sound younger and naive.

Originally posted by [ ¾ ]:

...Now that I am several years old (and wiser I hope) the experience have help to inform the performance. What I wrote when I was "profound and serious" at 16 years old suddenly come into focus. "Ahhh . . so that's what those words meant"

Anybody making a study of my songwriting output would probably say "this writer really matured as a writer" not knowing that I am stretching farther back into my youth for 'new' songs.

On the other hand, the new lyrics I do write tend to be simpler, sound younger and naive.

"Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now..."

Actually, unless you've rewritten the songs they'd appear on the page just the same...perhaps this is a case of your matured insights reading more into the lyrics than they'd offer to someone else...

Isn't it peculiar that the songs about love that reap the favor of the greatest number of people are those songs about love that's been lost? For myself, I've never in the past or near present inbibed myself with happy-go-lucky tunes when my love life has been going good. Neither have I attempted to write songs in this frame of mind. I'm usually too busy with the enjoyment of the love affair to be bothered.

But when the love goes sour, most people turn to songs of heartache and longing as a form of release. Ideed, the listening to such tunes, and if you are inclined, the WRITING of such can be downright theraputic. Nobody has to hear them, really. And the simple act of getting it all off your chest in such fashion IS better than slashing your wrists. Not to mention less painful and messy!

At 52, I often hear songs that remind me of those "crush loves" from my early teen years. By this time, there's no pain involved in the hearing, just the pleasant memory of a time of life that was then considered more difficult than it really was. And perhaps the longing for that simplicity once more...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by whitefang:

At 52, I often hear songs that remind me of those "crush loves" from my early teen years. By this time, there's no pain involved in the hearing, just the pleasant memory of a time of life that was then considered more difficult than it really was. And perhaps the longing for that simplicity once more...

Whitefang

You heard it here first folks, Whitefang is really just a soppy old soul at heart!

Soft and fluffy as a little kitten.

:D:thu:

Take care bud

Mark

Growing old is inevitable....Growing up is optional !

Archived