Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Best Songwriters"last 50 years

DIAMOND DUST

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These sort of lists are always subjective (& often wind up being very partisan) but as far as wide influence on popular music you'd have to exclude the last three on your list---remember, we're not talking qualitatively but mass influence!

You might consider branching out a bit to earlier composers, too.

Many pop tunesmiths from earlier eras might be more influential than any you suggested.

There are way too many great songs and great writers to determine who had the most influence - I'm a big fan of the Brill building writers and the Motown staff writers (who obviously influenced many musicians and writers).

However, I can't help but think that Lennon/McCartney may have had the largest influence (at least during the last 40-50 years) -simply because they did perhaps the most to establish writers within bands (vs. use of outside writers),

50 years is a long time, but in addittion to and agreement with those already mentioned, here's a few off the top of my head, among them some who are quite recent but whom I think will go down as great songwriters with the passing of time:

Paul Simon

Bob Dylan

Tom Waits

Neil Young

Steve Earle

Becker/Fagen (Steely Dan)

Lucinda Williams (uneven and needs work but some real gems in there)

Jagger/Richards

James McMurtry

Thanks to all these guys and more, the world is a wonderful place (sometimes).

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." - Emo Phillips

He's been around a while and has quite a few CD releases in circulation. 'From Leesburg, Va, I think. His most recent release is "St. Mary of the Woods" - really worth a few listens. Also, an earlier work "Too Long In The Wasteland" is great also.

His chord progressions are fairly typical but as a lyricist, he's really quite gifted - comes from a literary family - his dad is a more famous author (someone whom I should know more about but, alas, do not).

Here's a link for James:

http://www.jamesmcmurtry.com/3bio.htm

----------------------------

I'm tempted to add Jackson Browne and Springsteen to the list also.

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." - Emo Phillips

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by hank49:

50 years is a long time, but in addittion to and agreement with those already mentioned, here's a few off the top of my head, among them some who are quite recent but whom I think will go down as great songwriters with the passing of time:

Paul Simon

Bob Dylan

Tom Waits

Neil Young

Steve Earle

Becker/Fagen (Steely Dan)

Lucinda Williams (uneven and needs work but some real gems in there)

Jagger/Richards

James McMurtry

Thanks to all these guys and more, the world is a wonderful place (sometimes).

Man, I like the way you think.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

Who do you think were the greatest influence's on popular songs in the last 50 years.

Robert Johnson

Irving Berlin

Cole Porter

George Gershwin - in teams and solo

Lennon/McCartney

Bob Dylan

Tom Waits

Holland Dozier Holand

Leiber/Stoller

Elton John and Bernie Taupin

I think there are too many to list.

Maybe Cole Porter. He certainly changed what we think about as "pop song" in both lyrical form and impact of music.

Cole Porter would be my vote ~ but that could be subject to change depending on what I had just heard.

Maybe you should rephrase the question(s):

1. Whom is the most influential writer on you

2. Which writer do you think most influenced other writers?

3. Which song writer most influenced the general public (in 20th century pop culture)?

the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

I don't the actual writers for the groups, BUT...

The writers for the following groups:

"Eagles"(Don Henley & Glenn Frey), "Pink Floyd" , "Heart" , "Led Zepplin" , "Stevie Nicks" (Belledonna), Bad Company (Paul Rodgers)

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Well, if you DON'T forget the Motor City, then you'll HAVE to add Holland, Dozier & Holland to that list. Should have been there from the start!

And Smokey Robinson, too.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Can we explore the whats & whys for these writers' greatness?

I'm sure there is much that is unexplainable.

But is there a way to zero in on what turns us on about these people? Perhaps, with which songwriting devices do they strike a nerve in you personally, what makes you revere them and/or love them...do any of them have a specialty ?

I realize this may be impossible to put into words. I'm not trying to make a science out of this. But even a couple examples would enlighten me.

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

Originally posted by alanfc:

Can we explore the whats & whys for these writers' greatness?

Mostly, in the olden days, people did not start out as songwriters. Being a songwriter was worse than being a ditch-digger. Not something anyone from a respectable family did.

So you lived you life and you had something to write about.

I'm sure there is much that is unexplainable.
You mean that whole nature/nurture argument?

Some songwriters were just DNA-wired genetically to have a gift of writing. Others learned the craft so that what they had to say made sense.

Mostly it has always come down to:

Writers write

But is there a way to zero in on what turns us on about these people?
The best songwriters have always been able to

a) synthesize all sorts of styles together to make something new and fresh

b) write a succinct little song that touches us deeply ~ whether in the form of some detail about tying the shoelace of the little child that gets run over in traffic and never, ever gets a chance to make it in the big league baseball team; or how somewhere over the rainbow lies a better life

Depends on the specific writer or the specific song.

Usually though they have (for the most part) lived and experienced something we all have ~ or maybe they just are supreme artists that can paint a picture in words.

Perhaps, with which songwriting devices do they strike a nerve in you personally, what makes you revere them and/or love them...do any of them have a specialty ?
Good question.

Cole Porter is one of my favorite lyric writers because the older I get, the more I realize that he lived a pretty interesting life that in part he had to hide from society.

A lot of his best known songs are actually about gay love affairs gone wrong. And yet they so relate to all of us ~ straight or gay.

So that common thread of tiny detail so eloquently put . . seems to have cut across everyone's life.

On the other hand, a writer like (as an example) McCartney was simply very very good at merging the right word to the right melody note. His ability with prosody was staggering.

Not all of his songs actually make any sense in the bigger lyical aspect ~ but the lyrics perfectly serve their purpose and support the melody without question.

I also like the work of Tom Waits. Mr. Waits works really in about five styles of song. But somehow he is able to take a cliche and stand it on its ear.

the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with many posted thusfar.

I'd add:

Elvis costello - quality, quantity, diversity

Billy Joel (yeah really - even tho his style isnt my fav)

Diane Warren ( how can you not list her if we are talkin writers? Just look at the track record)

Lamont Dozier ( if ya like Motown he's it)

TBD: I forget the name of the guy who wrote many of Sinatra's lyrics - if we are talking a 50 year list he needs to be considered.

Perhaps E. John./B. Taupin- Hes doing showtunes , scores and has a huge catalog of hits that cant be denied ( even tho I find some of it way too trite/poppy - its not all that way).

BTW- to me a band that has a couple of really strong records cant possibly be on this list. It takes more than that.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

and add Glen Tillbrook, Bob Marley, Louis Armstrong, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Johnny Horton, Keith Richards/Mick Jagger, Ray Davies, Pete Townsend, David Crosby, Neil Young, Ry Cooder, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Lester Flatt, Bob Wills, Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Townes Van Zandt, Lyle Lovett, Billy Joe Shaver, Hank Sr., Hank Jr., Rick Wakeman, Andreas Vollenweider, Mark Isham, John Fogerty, Billy Gibbons/Dusty Hill, BB King, Muddy Waters, JJ Cale, Bruce Cockburn, Bonnie Raitt, Nanci Griffith, Laura Nyro, John Prine, Dan Fogelberg...............

This is hard!!!!!!!!!!!

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Definitely a tough question! Some are pop, some raw emotion, others pure poetry. I'll add a few names:

Lennon / McCartney / Harrison

Fagen / Becker

Taupin / John

Simon & Garfunkel

Lowell George

Joni Mitchell

Kenny Loggins

Lyle Lovett

Jackson Browne

Glenn Frey / Don Henley

Billy Joel

Tom Petty

Ani DiFranco

Steve Miller

Peter Gabriel

These are just a few of the great contemporary writers. And, I've not done justice to all the great songwriters who came before...

Sky

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned...which makes it all the more surprising that I'm the first one to invoke the holy name of Randy Newman.

Some others that havent made the collective list yet:

Andy Partridge, Robyn Hitchcock, and their granfather Syd Barrett...

Brian Wilson!

Garcia/Hunter

So many, too many.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

There's so many great ones already recognized. Thank you to the person who added Peter Gabriel!

I think the writers from the Band had some great material (Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, etc. with help from Bob at times).

I love a lot of Procol Harum songs, which I think are often overlooked. A lot were collaborative efforts.

U2 have a lot of great songs under their belts. Sting, too, has done a lot of great songs.

If I were to do the special award to the greatest but least recognized songwriter of perhaps the last 10 years or so, I would give it to Chris Whitley. His music has a tremendous amount of conviction and imagination. "Living with the Law" his first album and "Dirt Floor" his acoustic album are simply stunning.

Since this thread seems to have left the initial track I'll throw out a few names I don't think I've seen on any above posts;

Shel Silverstein

Mickey Newbury

Fred Eaglesmith

All have had tremendous influence on me and my music. I probably cover more of their songs than I should, along with John Prine.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Chipotle:

...I think the writers from the Band had some great material (Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, etc. with help from Bob at times).

While Robertson was undoubtedly the premier writer & driving force in the Band, to leave out Richard Manuel (or reduce him to "etc.") is shameful.

In many ways he was the most soulful & heartfelt performer & writer in that group.

• 2 weeks later...

Diane Warren. According to Primetime Monday on ABC last night, she's got songs on records that have sold more than Elvis, The Stones and The Beatles combined. Her published song catalogue has an estimated value of $500 000 000. Both lyrically and musically she has a knack for creating a memorable hook, and her songs work well for whatever artist chooses to cover it.

Aerosmith or the country act that did "Don't Want to Miss a Thing", doesn't matter.... it's a great song. And all of her stuff is like that. Her stuff sounds so easy to write that I beat myself up wondering why I never thought of the songs she had.

That's my grist for the rumour mill.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Archived