Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good CHEAP studio desks?

Any good sources for studio desks? I've spent the last weekend plus moving to a new , twice the space house. Been offline for about two days. I'm putting a studio together here. I need a large desk to hold computer, two nearfield monitors, one mini, small rack space (10-12), a few drawers. Any suggestions? Any luck with any of those assemble yourself desks you find in the back of Mix magazine and the like? I was thinking I could just go to Home/Office Depot and make a generic office desk work for my needs.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by henryrobinett: [b]Any good sources for studio desks? I've spent the last weekend plus moving to a new , twice the space house. Been offline for about two days. I'm putting a studio together here. I need a large desk to hold computer, two nearfield monitors, one mini, small rack space (10-12), a few drawers. Any suggestions? Any luck with any of those assemble yourself desks you find in the back of Mix magazine and the like? I was thinking I could just go to Home/Office Depot and make a generic office desk work for my needs.[/b][/quote]I went to IKEA last week and bought a desk called "Jerker" and it is perfect for me. You can have a moving shelf for monitor at each side. I have a 17" monitor, computerkeyboard,mouse, Korg D16 and 9 rackspaces on the "main desk" and 12 more on the top shelf. The computer is on the right side on a special mounting thing. Total cost: 130$ Don't have the drawers but you can buy these also. Search the net for: Jerker desk, and find out.

yo Henry, how's the new crib?? anyway... check this link out: [url=http://www.argosyconsole.com]www.argosyconsole.com[/url] it might be a little more than what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas.
0096 2251 2110 8105

That is a nice looking setup. You built it yourself? Thanks for the tips guys. Sactog, I wish. Maybe later. I ended up buying a cheapo computer desk. I'm going to get some plant holder columns and place my monitors on those so they sit in space with plenty of air behind them. Just keep my rack stuff in a rack. I'll go more elaborate next year. Too much money I've been spending. I keep thinking I'm done for awhile.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Yes, designed and built inhouse. 5/8" baltic birch plywood, standard rack design @19". Covered with industrial carpet. All material from Home Depot. Took less than a day to build. On wheels, easily rolls out for servicing and upgrades. the gear's not too shabby either.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

AEW: On the reply page, in the Instant Greamlins section, hit the button Image. Then type int the URL for your image (it must be on a server somewhere). Chip: I dunno. Ikea must have a different price list in the US. Here they are $144 canadian - less than $100 US. The optional shelves are $15 cdn.

Henry - here is another option. The Ikea in Emeryville has a section of damaged goods near the checkout area. They almost always have a bunch of assorted desk tops, shelves etc. Some are solid wood, some are MDF, but most only have a few scratches etc. on them. If you are handy at all, you can turn one of these into a great studio desk. But of course it would take a trip to into the Bay Area, and there is always the risk that on the day you drive down here there is nothing there.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

[quote]Originally posted by vopt: [b]Chip: I dunno. Ikea must have a different price list in the US. Here they are $144 canadian - less than $100 US. The optional shelves are $15 cdn.[/b][/quote]Must be made in Canada.... like Gibson guitar cases.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived