Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The age of your gear

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Newest is my Johnson J-Station - I dig that little box, it's way cool - and I am a tube person! (Of course, I especially like not having to dislocate my arm every time I go to play somewhere...) Oldest would probably be the Orban Stereo Synthesizer...and it's not what you might think it is, kiddies! :D It's an old stereo simulator, it basically comb-filters a mono signal & creates a split signal for pseudo-stereo. Wacky box - adds a nice analog-circuit quality to the signal, and is great for that instrument that you just can't seem to get to sit in the mix.

Oldest used to be my 1954 Ampex 350-2 Tube Recorder, oldest gear now is probably a custom built passive parametric from Finland. Oh yes, I got an ugly old microphone that used to be in a bus, I have no clue how old that one is - probably late 50's or early 60's. And an old upright piano, guess that it is pretty old. And some percussion stuff (old Gretsch kit, a real old zildjan ride, old zildjan hats) Newest? Depends on what defines new, is it date of manufacture or date of purchase? Latest gear I bought was a Telecaster, a Danelectro DC-3, some bantam cables, a couple of small Peli cases and a brand spanking new Electrix WarpFactory vocoder (however, it was built in '99, according to a sticker on the unit...). And a new vacuum cleaner. Next purchase will be a new kettle, any recomendations? /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

oldest peice of 'gear' is a part of the transmission from my '67 VW bug. oh, you mean audio gear. :D ...uhh i think that would have to be my little Fender vibro champ. i think it was made either in the late 60s or the early 70s.. i dont know. but it has this nasty tone that cuts through any mix when mic'd with an RE-20...sometimes i run keyboards through it for that...ahem, 'vintage' tone.. :rolleyes: and just like Mats, my newest peice of gear is the warp factory vocoder....this is a funky box, i've gotten some interesting sounds out of this thing. i once made my guitar sound like a bird with it :eek: :D
0096 2251 2110 8105

Oldest: Has to be my Aloha lapsteel and tube amp combo (amp was made by Magnatone). The guitar is a kinda pearl blue mother-of-toiletseat and the tweed covering on the lapsteel case even matches the covering on the amp. TOO COOL! It dates from the mid-'50s. It was apparently aimed at students but it sounds so sweet... Newest: My brand new SPL GoldMike mic-pre. Haven't even hooked it up yet...
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe: [b]Oldest is probably a 1949 RCA ribbon mic, while the newest isn't here yet... but it will be a set of ADAM monitors and a Soundelux ELUX 251 mic (depending on which gets here first...)[/b][/quote]Woo-hoo! Can I come over and play at your house, Phil? :D

Oldest piece is our 1931 Ivers and Pond piano. [img]http://www.npstudios.com/pics/piano_front.jpg[/img] hear it on our [url=http://www.npstudios.com/listen.html]Listen Page.[/url] Newest is an HHB Radius 10 dual valve mic preamp. Great unit, well worth the meager $680 it cost. ]

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

[quote]Originally posted by franknputer: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe: [b]Oldest is probably a 1949 RCA ribbon mic, while the newest isn't here yet... but it will be a set of ADAM monitors and a Soundelux ELUX 251 mic (depending on which gets here first...)[/b][/quote]Woo-hoo! Can I come over and play at your house, Phil? :D [/b][/quote]Sure... but it's a pretty long drive from GA! ;)

Newest hardware is the Studio Projects C1. Newest software is any o f the *5* VST host demos I have on my dedictaed softsynth machine, trying to find the one that works for me, and lkeaning towrd a nifty piece of shareware called Massiva because the very cool developer is actually making changes to the beta based on my input. Never had that happen before. Oldest, geez, not much since I sold my Les Paul. A bunch of Alesis gear from the 80s gathers dist--an HR 16, a Midiverb II. I bought my Crown D60 used in about '88 and I have no idea how much older than that it might be. Nothing vintage, for sure, escept the ADL compressor, which is one of them thar new vintage things. BTW, have you noticed more and more people adopting the British idiom "kit" to refer to their gear? I have.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Oldest thing I have is the "coil" guitar cable that I used on my 1st single manual VOX organ - almost 30 yrs old it is. I still occasionally use it and I have no other cables that have lasted any where near that long. It looks completely normmal - not heavy duty, no fancy connectors - nothing - never repaired. The second oldest piece (25+ yrs) is my 2nd Vox dual manual Super Continental that I have not used in several years - needs a bit of restoration. The DeArmond volume pedal I used with it is not far behind. The newest: My GML 2020 and Soundelux U95S - I hope they serve me as well as that bloody cable has ;)

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Oldest.. probably my Granados jumbo classical guitar, the first guitar I played, circa 1975. I have an early 1970's Epiphone EC-20, the first guitar that was exclusively [i]mine[/i]. It was already in trouble when my parents purchased it ($15, from my guitar teacher) for me to bring to summer camp. Problem is there is no way to determine a year. Damn, Norlin for keeping garbage for records... aarrrrgggh! :mad: I just inherited an accordian that belonged to a great uncle. It's probably 40 - 60 years old, but I haven't researched it yet. Newest piece of gear: Either a Pandora PX-3, an Audix D4, or a Ultimate Support Genesis amp stand. I Love that little wonder! (If you aren't sure which of the three I mean, it doesn't matter. They're all wonderful!)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

At this point (lot too long ago my total material possessions fit into two suitcases ) the oldest piece of gear is my Schreiber clarinet, early '60s and perfectly cared for. It's a middle-model but the the grenadillo is in keeping with upper models of today, I love it. Wasn't free but considering prices of new clarinets it was a steal. The newest gear is a pair of ADAM S-2A (and shielded) monitors. They are remarkable. -Bobro

Newest? I guess Sonar 2.0.Oldest? Nice try but your'e not going to get me to rummage through my audio graveyard(junkyard?)that has turned into a monster over a 30 year period which will result in a full scale war with the lady.I'll have to let sleeping dogs lie here,sorry. ;)
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Newest, is a third Shure KSM-44sl that arrived yesterday. The oldest could be my [url=http://www.gymusic.com/Ampex300_1.jpg]Ampex 300-4[/url] , my [url=http://www.gymusic.com/RCA77dx2_3.jpg]RCA 77dx[/url] , my [url=http://www.gymusic.com/RCA74b_2.jpg]RCA 74b[/url] , but probably my [url=http://www.gymusic.com/Presto.jpg]Presto K-8[/url] record cutter from 1943.

GY

My oldest is a toss up between my Roland MC-202 Microcomposer (SH-101 sound module with a 2-tk sequencer) and my Roland Juno-6. My newest is my Triton Rack wit hthe Piano Card, maxed out and filled with custom sounds, including the LE and Karma soundsets. Next up is is the MS-2000...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Oldest is an old RCA mic bought on Ebay for $25 dollars with the intention of replacing the cable so that it actually worked... haven't gotten there yet. It's been about a year. Newest is PSP Audioware's StereoPack plug-in for MAS. Very cool. MixPack and Vintage Warmer will be bought soon. Drew
Andrew Mazzocchi

No studio gear, but... Oldest: '69 Gibson EB-3 bass Newest: 1x12 Bergantino cab Soon : 5 string Kinal bass on order - being built by Mike Kinal, due in about 4 months... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hmmmm...I don't know how old some of the mics are. I have a Shure mic from the 50s. After that, it's probably an Oberheim DMX from 1981. Newest is a Lawson L251 tube microphone or Digi001.

Archived