Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EXTRA STAND ALONE PC HARD DRIVE

I wanted to add. a big (extra stand alone) hard drive to my Pentium III PC to store music, sounds, and as a general back-up for wavs and such. Does anyone know of a good "type" of hard drive and what kind of connection should it be---USB? I'll still be running my Cubase from the "C" hard drive--where all my programs are...Any suggestions or "help forums" appreciated. (Essentially I want to use the PC like I would a Mac connected by firewire to a main G3 hard drive--to HOLD all the memory intensive information. Is this practical...or should I just back-up everything to CD's? (hint--my Mitsui burner tends to work ONLY with Maxell disc's and ONLY when it wants to--it's got an "attitude")...Thanks !

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you want to use a stand alone? Why not get a second internal hard drive ( any Maxtor Diamond Max 7200rpm is a good one) Use the second drive as an audio only drive to write to when recording, and you could also create a partition for storage only. If you use one hard drive for programs one for audio you'll get better performance. You could do the same thing with your internal drive and an external firewire drive but the internal drive is 2 to 3 times cheaper and doesn't require an extra PCI card.

The cheapest way is to put a removable IDE drive case in the PC. If you want to have an external drive you can get a Firewire card for the computer and use an external Firewire drive case. This would cost a lot more though.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived