Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I design websites for places around KY and some of them are pretty decent. Don't try to host anywhere for free. Your site then has all these crappy restrictions on it with ads and stuff. You best bet is to get DSL and host yourself for free, but if you don't know how or don't have a machine to do it, then call a reliable local ISP and have them do it. Designing a site is cake with Macromedia Dreamweaver. I wouldn't do it with anything else, ever. Later pd :rolleyes:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Hey Prometheus: Would you check this site and tell me what you think? http://nomonthlyfees.com/ [/b][/quote]I haven't gone through it with a fine toothed comb, but I'll bet they will own the domain name & for that fee, you are leasing it. If you are unhappy with the service & want to move, you don't have the name rights to go so you're SOL. Look elsewhere. don't pay alot of money for a .com name registration either. There are lots of places to register with fees under $10.00 a year. The hosting depends on what you need as to size throughput, streaming & etc so shop around. It'll take some time. As to HTML editors, I use CoffeeCup and 1st Page2000. I like them both. 1st Page2000 is free. You can get it [url=http://www.evrsoft.com/]HERE[/url] . Basically, the editor is going to be personal preference too, so try a couple of them & pick the one you like. Back to square one. eh?

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I agree. I don't think this company is legit. I pay yearly so I don't have monthly fees, but I own the domain. I also trust a company who doesn't have to putup their server specs to show they are capable. I don't know of anyone who uses them. Again, call a decent local ISP and see what they offer. That way if you do run into probs, you are talking to someone face to face. Your choice, but make sure you read the fine print with any isp. pd :rolleyes:

Hey, if you want to get your feet wet with the website thing, go to Tripod & set up an account. The have 50MB available & web building tools to give you an idea. To give you an idea as to what can be done, look at [url=http://somebodysson.tripod.com]THIS SITE[/url] I put up for a friend. You will have a banner ad at the top of the page but it will give you an idea of what can be done. The URL would be something like this: http://whateveryouwant.tripod.com Once you have your feet wet, you can go ahead and jump into the pay hosts. They are better.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Ok Dak: I'm putting the site up to sell a product, so it is a commercial site. I don't think they're gonna let me do that on Tripod. Plus I want to link it to all the search engines I can, which nomonthlyfees.com offers. For $25.00 they automatically link to the 1500 most popular search engines. This is like every thing else on computers, I'm parylyzed by option anxiety.

TheWewus, If you are seeking to sell product online, you will want to go with a hosting company that supplies a Secure Socket Layer for order processing and credit card information. Most people will not place an order online if they feel threatened by the ordering process. I personally will exit a site immediately if a company does not provide secure ordering. Even with an option of telephone processing and snail mail order processing, I steer clear of companies that are not established enough to go the extra mile to provide customers the peace of mind in order processing. I question the reputation of the company and the duration of it's existance. As company's come and go like days and nights on the [url=http://www.com,]www.com,[/url] I do not want to purchase items from a company that will not be on the web long enough to offer technical support or customer services if a need arises. Granted, in starting out, one must adhere to a budget if they are pouring more money into the development of a product than the promotion thereof; but there are alternative routes to take. You might check into the services offered at EBay if you do not have much money to put out. Avoid free web spaces because they are unprofessional and although many claim to offer certain features, such as FrontPage extensions and other platforms, their claims do not always meet the expectations of the client software product they suggest. If you are HTML illiterate, then try something like using an HTML editor such as MicroSoft FrontPage, Coffee Cup, and others. I use MS FrontPage 2002 myself and it provides many templates for predesigned web forms, but also requires a host that supports the extensions. The software is on the higher end in price, but is far less expensive than contracting a professional to build a site from scratch. Coffee Cup has some really awesome features that allow you to make flashy sites, but from the quick stand point of view, it did not appear to be nearly as business oriented as MS FrontPage. I purchased a full blown version of MS Office XP Developer from DealDealDeal.com for $470.00 when the average going price is around $799.00. The software is authentic and includes the MS halographic images on the discs and the ribbon on the license agreement. If you visit the site, you will need to type "MS Office XP Developer" into the search box to locate the product as I don't believe it is showcased in the average line of software. Not only will you get FP 2002 for web design, Office Excel will allow you to set up and establish books for your business; also you will have the added features of databasing once you become more proficient with the applications. You can find Hosting companies authorized by the Microsoft Corporation starting as low as $9.95 per month depending on the features you wish to activate. The cheapest MS authorized host that I have found for Secure online order processing is about $14.95 a month and is located at http://myhosting.com/plans.htm Currently, I am with Interland and they want $49.95 a month to provide more advanced small business features and I believe $99.00 a month to supply secure ordering and a storefront. I have an inquiry in to the MyHosting.com as I located it on MicroSoft's Official Site for recommended web hosts supporting their products. MyHosting has not responded as of yet, but I just sent the inquiry off this morning. I may give them a shot myself if all goes well. One thing though, if you decide to do the web design yourself, be prepared to sell your soul to learning new materials. Just about the time you think you've got the software mastered, they upgrade and you have to learn everything all over again to accommodate the changes. Unless you have lots of time on your hands, I recommend seeking a professional. I've spent two years building my site [url=http://www.musicbizbuzz.net]MusicBizBuzz[/url] and I have not yet explored even half of the functions that I have available to me in my software product. Needless to say, I am a songwriter and I haven't written didly-squat during the past two years. My creative energy is being exhausted on web designing. Sometimes I think that perhaps I should change my career goals, web designers are in heavy demand. :idea: Good Luck to you, AniFa

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

You will definitely need a web host that provides some sort of secure socket, or provide a link to someone who does. If you are still interested in that free web hosting company and you have a little free time, why don't you do something like put up a personal site -- say, something that has pictures of your pets or whatever -- and see what the service, etc. is like. I'd like to know more about hosting your own site by having DSL. How does one go about doing this? I assume that you need some sort of "server"-computer.

I just started learning HTML a few weeks ago. It is so easy, I can't believe I waited so long to jump in. I tried a while back to make a web page on Adobe Page Mill with poor results. It just made it too confusing and limiting. so I dropped the idea. Just learining the basics of HTML, I found it much easier to get results. If you are a creative person and have an understanding of HTML, I don't see the need for an authoring program. Then again, I haven't done anything really complex yet, so what do I know. :)

Man, there's no way I'd try and host my own site w/out serious UNIX sysadmin kung-fu skills-which I don't have. I've been hosting 2 places on Hurricane Electric for a couple years and they're great. No security troubles, no downtime, hella bandwidth, and they give you full Telnet'd shell access. They've got PHP, MySQL, and SSL so you can run big dynamic backend stuff and do credit cards if you want. [url=http://www.he.net]www.he.net[/url]

Domain registration with [b]Gandi:[/b] [list] [*]inexpensive (10 Euros/yr.) [*]yearly registration [*]web-based admin [*]DNS control [*]you own the domain [*]parking [*]strong French privacy law [/list] http://www.gandi.net/ Web-Hosting with [b]Your-Site[/b] @ $5/mo. gets you: [list] [*]50 MB Disk Space [*]6 Gigs Transfer [*]25 POP3 E-Mail Accounts [*]E-Mail Control Panel [*]Private Logs [*]Detailed Statistics [*]24/7 FTP Access [*]Your own cgi-bin [*]Daily Tape back-ups [*]CGI, SSI, SSH, Perl (with many CPAN modules), Java, Python, Cronjobs, C/C++, PHP3/4, Custom Error Pages, and Real Audio/Video [*]Frontpage 2000 Extensions [*]99.9% Guaranteed Uptime [*]Money Back Guarantee [*]Multiple DS3, OC3 and OC12 connections, including OC3 connectivity to both MAE-EAST and MAE-WEST [*]Support: 24/7 Pager, 7 Day E-mail, and 5 Day Emergency Telephone Support [*]add-ons (more $): Chilisoft ASP, Miva Merchant, SSL Secure Server, mySQL database, Additional disk space, POP3 Accounts [/list] http://www.your-site.com/ Nope, I don’t work for either of them, but they were both recommended to me and I have had no complaints and perfect service. I have recommended them to other people and gotten many thank-yous in return. Your-Site also features a reseller program with nice identity-cloaking so it looks like you are the host, machine included. Namaste, aeon
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

[quote]Originally posted by aeon: [b]Domain registration with [b]Gandi:[/b] Support: 24/7 Pager, 7 Day E-mail, and 5 Day Emergency Telephone Support Namaste, aeon[/b][/quote]aeon, you have a business, relying on uptime & it goes down you need better service than what's claimed there. 7 days for email & 5 days for emergency??? And the 24/7 pager...When do they get back to you? :bor: :bor: :bor: For that kind of delay a guy might as well use geocities or one of the other freebees. :D

Our Joint

For responsive providers, I'm very pleased with Burlee.com I work north of Toronto and Burlee is in the U.S., but our developer strongly recommended we go with this company. It's never been an issue. I can phone for support and in seconds get someone by name who can patiently hold my hand. If I e-mail for help or to get a lost password, they reply the same day or at most the next morning. No attitude, no passing-the-buck bullshit. That's for the last two years anyway that it's been like this. It's the only part of my internet requirements that has been going right.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

I suggest you do a test run with something like Geocities. There are some pages there dedicated to people new to HTML. Some are very simple and straight forward. A great way to learn basic HTML without being overwhelmed. Stay away from Microsoft Front Page. It is fine if you follow orders and do everything it tells you to do, but if you want to implement your own designs it can be a bit restrictive. I like using a combination of Dreamweaver for page layout and HotMetal Pro for doing my HTML code. Once you feel comfortable with your abilities you can get your own domain name and either move to a new site or let Yahoo/Geocities continue to host. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I use the FrontPage Editor (just a part of the MS FrontPage software). I like to keep things pretty simple. My hosting is costing $7.50 a month. To sell stuff I am using a PayPal shopping cart (it is free to set up and works nicely). [url=http://www.calfeejones.com]www.calfeejones.com[/url] [url=http://www.8beatrecords.com]www.8beatrecords.com[/url]
- Calfee Jones

For those of you on a tight budget... A free and really decent HTML editor... [url=http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage/]1st Page 2000 (Eversoft.com)[/url] A free FTP application... [url=http://www.smartftp.com/download/]Smart-FTP[/url]

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

[quote]Originally posted by daklander: [b]I haven't gone through it with a fine toothed comb, but I'll bet they will own the domain name & for that fee, you are leasing it. If you are unhappy with the service & want to move, you don't have the name rights to go so you're SOL.[/b][/quote]Daklander, You're right on. Here's a snippet from their site: [i] With NoMonthlyFees.com every single new customer gets a credit for One Free .com, .net, or .org Domain Name for as long as you remain a fully paid client. You will pay NO Internic charges, EVER on the Free Domain Name Credit! [/i] Basically, if you're not paying for it, it ain't yours! :p Another thing I didn't like is their traffic policy. They state: [i] Sites that go over the allowed free traffic will be charged $10 per gig. Sites must pre-pay this fee, and site is subject to suspension if bandwidth is unpaid for. [/i] 5 gigabits is a lot, but if you ever go over it, it sounds like they can take your web site offline until you pay up. Sounds like a hostage situation. :mad: Anyway, what my band uses is [url=http://www.cedant.com]Cedant[/url] . They don't have the highest specs for the money but I am also weary of things that sound too good. Check out their client testimonials. For additional charge, they can add a shopping cart and secure ordering to your site for selling your goods. Your-site.com does look good, though. It has better specs, but Cedant offers mailing lists as part of their service.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

[quote][i]daklander said:[/i] [b]aeon, you have a business, relying on uptime & it goes down you need better service than what's claimed there. 7 days for email & 5 days for emergency??? And the 24/7 pager...When do they get back to you?[/b][/quote]For the two times I have contacted Your-Site, response time via e-mail has been 7 and 9 minutes respectively. [quote][i]daklander said:[/i] [b]For that kind of delay a guy might as well use geocities or one of the other freebees.[/b][/quote]I think you have misunderstood what was meant in the post. The figures indicate when a particular option is available, not response time. :rolleyes:
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

[quote]Originally posted by aeon: [QBFor the two times I have contacted Your-Site, response time via e-mail has been 7 and 9 minutes respectively. [QUOTE]I think you have misunderstood what was meant in the post. The figures indicate when a particular option is available, not response time. :rolleyes: [/QB][/quote]Sure did... but you have to admit that seeing what was posted doesn't look like a viable response time at first glance. I see what you're talking about now that you slapped me upside the head with that "Pay Attention!" stuff. ;) Sometimes I need that. I personally would change the way it's written so that mistake wouldn't be made. Maybe adding a simple "available" to preface it & make the 7day & 5day, into; 7 days & 5 days. Would help dummies like me. Seeing that list, & I presume it was pasted from their site, I wouldn't go with them, unless someone, like you, advised me differently or I made the necessary inqueries after seeing the way it was posted. :)

Our Joint

[quote]Originally posted by AudioMaverick: [b]For those of you on a tight budget... A free and really decent HTML editor... [url=http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage/]1st Page 2000 (Eversoft.com)[/url] A free FTP application... [url=http://www.smartftp.com/download/]Smart-FTP[/url] [/b][/quote]Yep on the 1st page2K editor. It's a nice package. I'm still primarily using CoffeeCup but learning 1st Page On that Smartftp; How's the spyware and/or adds? Stability? Are you using the web based or computer based version? I've been using ftpWorks & it's been pretty good but does lock once in a while & you normally have to open the root url folder & then go to your folders to work. I can't find them, even though they're showing on the screen. I'd like to find a more stable unit.

Our Joint

I whole-heartedly agree with Daklander in his response about e-mail communications with hosting agencies. Especially if you are a newbee to web design and mastering, Live Tech Support is worth EVERY dime spent for every penny earned. I followed through with the inexpensive hosting package I mentioned earlier and although the prices are extraordinary compared to what I'm paying out now, the fact that they do not offer phone support in any way put a dead end to any further pursuit of inquiry. The initial inquiry was posted during the evening and I received an answer about 10:00 a.m. the following morning. If I am in the middle of a crisis with my site building, having 24/7 live tech support is essential to my peace of mind. I like staying with a project until I have resolved the issues and it just irritates the !$!#@ out of me to have to drop what I'm doing because I can't get the answers I need RIGHT NOW!!! When you have worked on and thought a project out thoroughly for hours, the last thing you want to do is put everything aside for the night because you can't get a simple answer that would take five minutes to impliment and achieve your results. Reputable hosting companies provide you with around-the-clock expert advice to assist your technical needs. You are talking about a business package, and not a Fan site; uptime is crucial. Freebie sites are for the birds when it comes to business. Yes, if you want to spend a little bit of time playing with free sites it will give you a feel for what you can do and if it might be worth investing in a good software product later; but you will find that FREE is not FREE when you start wanting to add business features to the site. Whether dealing with FREE sites or cheap hosting packages read through the Terms of Service about the things that are allowed and not allowed, always keep your eyes peeled for the words, "additional charges will apply." Also, you NEVER want to establish your name through a company's domain control because once your clientel begin visiting on a regular basis and even though your bandwidth has not really skyrocked, Cookies tell the tale and the anti goes UP. Innovative technology provides incredible tracking devices and those in control know exactly how to use them. Once again, I believe it was Daklander that said these people OWN your domain name; you will either accept the hike or take a hike. After you have invested major time and/or money in the promotion of your site, the last thing you will want to do is have to start all over again if you are unhappy with the Host. Your domain name is the key factor in your clients following you from one site to another if you have disagreements with the service provider; it's best to own your domain straight out. There is a LOT more to having an online presence that just putting up a web site. Just for smiles, :D :D :D I challenge you to take out one of the FREE hosting accounts (there's no loss of money, you'll just be overwhelmed with spam e-mails from every free dog on the internet) then try converting your Outlook Express over to be your default email with your new host. Do you use Outlook now, or do you stick with the e-mail provided through your ISP because it's just not worth the hassle? E-mail client set-up will be a cinch compared to hosting a professional business site. :D Now, I have some SERIOUS site building to tend to myself, I'm in the process of a complete rennovation on my site. I jumped in feet first, now I've got to get things switched over. I like building late at night while the traffic is down; 24/7 support is the only way to fly. Regards, Ani`Fa

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

:idea: Hey Folks, I think this Web Design jargon merits the need for an entirely new Forum Topic! Web Developing! We could even encourage the concepts of Live Streaming and so forth. Could be a good learning tool. :thu:

Well Damn! Ask and ye shall receive. I've been on a lot of forums and ya know sometimes you get a few answers, sometimes not, but Everytime I ask something here there's like more post than I can keep up with. This is good. Too much knowledge is better than too little. You think? Thank you sooo much. Something else I like about this forum, there are people actually wierder than me on here which is unusual. It's funny the things you notice, but since I've joined this forum I find that I use the words really and totally too much so I'll have to work on that. Yes I'm rambling what I meant to say was: You people ROCK!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived