Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Preventing volume spikes playing live

A problem. If I'm fingerpicking my acoustic, plugged in, sometimes, I snag my middle fingernail. It's deformed due to an accident from way back and it's real thick and will not "give" at all. Sometimes it's snags and all of a sudden I have this REAL loud spike. Always during a beautiful ballad. Yikes. Is there anything hardware wise that would prohibit sudden jumps in volume from what you've been playing?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can offer you two options: 1) Get a compressor and/or limiter effects pedal. This will limit the spikes. 2) Get finger picks - the kind you slip on your fingers so you aren't actually picking with your finger nails. I've tried them and had limited success. It may work for you though.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

I don't know what I'm going to do about the nails. I have not tried finger picks much, I guess I'll try for more than two minutes. I have seriously considered acrylic nails like girls use. I know some guys use them for fingerpicking. My thumbnail is okay, in fact, it's fine. As well as my ring finger. Middle finger, the one I mentioned, is way too thick and the index finger is way too thin, can't keep one on there.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Try out a compressor/limiter. This should help keep those "spikes" down. It could also help to bring out your finger picking by bringing down the volume on the guitar when you are strumming the strings. Just my thoughts. --Matt
"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he'll spend all day in a boat drinking beer."

Duke, Try [url=http://www.guptillmusic.com]THESE Different Finger Picks[/url] if you can find them in a local music store. They look like they're just the ticket. I can't find them around here and won't buy over via the internet 'cause I can't try 'em on & haven't had a chance to go to their place in Orange County. Oops, The ones to look at are the ones with a loop that fits over the end of your finger & kinda under the nail so your real nails don't touch the strings but the finger pad does.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

On the acrilic nails idea, the last gig i played the guitarist broke his index nail the morning of the gig. i stole my sisters nail kit and we sorted the nail. It did work fine but by the end of the night it was chewed up to shit from the strings and an absolute bitch to remove. i guess its only good in emergencies. -starfucker
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Archived