Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Karma vs Yamaha W-5

I have a small problem and am hoping that some feedback from you can help me reach an enlightened decision. A little background: I don't play the piano, but, thru' Step Entry, I was able to utilize the Yamaha W-5. I "programmed" the sequencer, added drums (Drumtrax) as needed, strings/horns, bass, saved it all to disc, transferred it to Mini-disc (used cassette tape in the beginning), and came away with accompaniments to use for my Junior Choir at church. As long as I had the music, I was in business. You guessed it...I wore ou the W-5! I mean nothing work\s except the keyboard piano now. So, I am in the market for a new workstation along the lines of the Yamaha W-5. After a lot of reading, I came across the Korg Karma. My question is...in your opinion...do you think that the Korg Karma is comparable to the Yamaha W-5, seeing what I want to do with it,the way I have to use it? Would it be worth my while to invest in the Karma? Tho' I don't play the piano, I feed keyboard excerpts into Rhapsody and listen. (Incidentally, my ax is the tenor sax) I get much musical satisfaction this way. I hope you can help me. Thomas M. Williams, Sr.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Karma and W5 are very different keyboards. KARMA's big feature is the way that it works along with your playing, adding variables and creating variations based on your music. The W5 is more like a traditional workstation, and doesn't have the KARMA-type algorithms. Keyboard magazine did an extensive review of the KARMA a few months ago, that will really help explain to you how it works -- strengths, limitations, etc. Also, I believe there is a video demo on the Korg web site. Also, consider asking this question in Dave Bryce's keyboard forum as you may find people who have used both.

Something like the Yamaha motif is probably closer to the W-5 was, if I remember correctly. I would check that out too.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Both the Karma and the Motif are far too complex and dance-oriented for what the guy wants to do. Plus, they are a huge step forward in programming from the W5. I think he'll be better off with a simpler workstation along the lines of Roland XP-60 or 80, which is still a very capable and expandable machine. Max
Max Ventura, Italy.

The usual sage advice from Argomax got me thinking that maybe the new Roland Fantom would be the best keyboard for what he wants to do. It's easy to use, has some KARMA-like assistance, and sounds pretty good. I saw it at summer NAMM, you can read about it in my NAMM show report.

[quote]Originally posted by mr. rob: [b]I noticed the ex 5 appears to be sliding in value lately. Thats pretty cool, maybe you could grab one off ebay or Harmony Central for cheap?[/b][/quote]No Way!!! That EX-5 is for the birds! I DID get hold of one and found out, to my sorrow, that the thing is for an electrical engineer working on a Doctorate in Music! Too far beyond my ken, thanks.

[quote]Originally posted by argomax: [b]Both the Karma and the Motif are far too complex and dance-oriented for what the guy wants to do. Plus, they are a huge step forward in programming from the W5. I think he'll be better off with a simpler workstation along the lines of Roland XP-60 or 80, which is still a very capable and expandable machine. Max[/b][/quote]Yes...I don't need anything too complex. The Roland XP-60 or 80 sound like something I might need to look into. And I like Craig's idea of the Roland Fantom...if I can ever find his NAMM report.

[quote]Originally posted by t75mw: [b] No Way!!! That EX-5 is for the birds! I DID get hold of one and found out, to my sorrow, that the thing is for an electrical engineer working on a Doctorate in Music! Too far beyond my ken, thanks. [/b][/quote] Then you might wanna steer clear of the Karma...it's a pretty deep machine. As Craig said - feel free to post this question in the Keyboard Forum. You may get some useful feedback down there. I also agree with his conclusion that you might like the Fantom. dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived