Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VCRs that play PAL and the American VCR standard

This is a post for a friend. She wants to know what sorts of VCR she can purchase that can play both PAL as well as American VCR tapes (I forgot what that standard was called). What kind of VCR player/recorder do you recommend? Do you need a special TV as well to accommodate this VCR? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Samsung makes a unit that plays just about every standard out there. it's the [url=http://www.mindlogic.com/CVCR_SMSG_sv-5000w_DTL.shtml?source=overture]Samsung SV-5000W[/url]
0096 2251 2110 8105

On a semi-related topic.... A friend of mine just told me that with the playstation 2 and periferal called the game shark, Kinda like a crack tool kit for video games.. ie. lets you have unlimited lives, invincibility... etc.) you can play dvd's of all regional encodings from japan to europe... Hope its true... That could be the deciding factor for what video game system I'm buying next.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with finding a VCR that will play both formats, but I do know that the US standard for video is NTSC. Maybe this will help a little so you will know what you are looking for. --Matt
"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he'll spend all day in a boat drinking beer."

Sorry, I stand corrected;you may find the Samsung SV5000W 4-Head VCR a tad cheaper at $399.99 with the same glorious multiregion record and playback features. [url=http://www.samsung.com]www.samsung.com[/url] Andy :o

Just an update...I came across a VCR today that should do what you are looking for. It's the Panasonic AG-W3. According to what I see, it plays back tapes in any format (ntsc, pal, secam, others). Not only does it play back in any format, it can also record from one format to another. Seems like this should do the trick. --Matt
"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he'll spend all day in a boat drinking beer."

I just wanted to pop back in and say thank you very much for all the quick responses. This forum is my absolute favorite, and I've always appreciated the conversations, quick answers, and intellient responses that people receive here.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Do you need a special TV as well to accommodate this VCR? [/b][/quote]When I was looking for a PAL/US set up three years ago(I was overseas at the time and wanted something I could use here), I had to get BOTH a dual TV and a dual VCR. The VCRs at the time didn't actually convert PAL. They were able to "read" it, and fed the TV with a PAL signal - but then you needed a PAL-compatible TV. I ended up buying a Toshiba VCR and a Samsung TV. (Not sure what the models were, but I can check later on when I'm at home ... ) Not sure whether things have changed (I doubt it) - but I would DEFINITELY check to make sure of whether you need a dual TV with whatever VCR you're looking at. FWIW - my experience is that I really didn't need the "dual" function as much as I thought I would; in a pinch there are places (at least here in NYC) to convert if needed ... given the high price of the dual hardware, your friend might find it worth thinking about how she/he needs to take advantage of the dual signal capacity ...

Archived