Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decent headphones for $30?

Ok, need some headphones so I can plug into my Yamaha PSR740 keyboard and not wake the household. Standard 1/4" jack. Any suggestions? Radio Shack had decent looking set for $30 but had to use an adaptor to get it to 1/4", which I didn't want to do as I figured might lose some sonic quality. Correct or not? What about a music store, would they have decent headphones? Musician's Friend? Anything to look for? I have much worse hearing in my right ear versus left. Would I need to have the option to adjust the sound in left versus right earpiece? I don't know anything about headphones.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got a pair of $10 closed headphones made in Quebec from a steel surplus store, only ones I've seen with volume adjusters for each ear, and for $10 they sound great! I don't know how accesible that are though.. edit: they use the mini-1/4" adaptor but it doesn't seem to lose quality

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

The Sony MDR-CD60 has been a great all around headphone for me. It's economical too - at about $20 a pop. I occasionally do 20 or more people at a shot, and I ain't getting 20 K-240 's. As for your hearing problem, I would suggest panning the voice you are playing on your keyboard as hard right as you need to offset the lack of hearing in your right ear. Or alternatively, you can send it through two channels of a mixer and do it there.

[quote]Originally posted by soundscapestudios: [b]...As for your hearing problem, I would suggest panning the voice you are playing on your keyboard as hard right as you need to offset the lack of hearing in your right ear. Or alternatively, you can send it through two channels of a mixer and do it there.[/b][/quote]No comprehende... digitalus ingoramus. What does panning it hard right mean? And when you say voice, you mean my voice (vocal voice) or the voice I'm playing on the keyboard? Actually, what I'm doing is... this Yamaha has onboard speakers and I'm playing and singing simultaneously. The headphones would just be playing the total mix, right? Do expensive headphones have left/right controls? Seems they would. (I'm not in that market, though, probably $20 to $30.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b] [quote]Originally posted by soundscapestudios: [b]...As for your hearing problem, I would suggest panning the voice you are playing on your keyboard as hard right as you need to offset the lack of hearing in your right ear. Or alternatively, you can send it through two channels of a mixer and do it there.[/b][/quote]No comprehende... digitalus ingoramus. What does panning it hard right mean? And when you say voice, you mean my voice (vocal voice) or the voice I'm playing on the keyboard? Panning is sending the sound to either the right or left speaker, or anywhere in between. You can probably find this in one of the on screen menus on your keyboard. "Voice" is the sound you are playing on your keyboard. Actually, what I'm doing is... this Yamaha has onboard speakers and I'm playing and singing simultaneously. The headphones would just be playing the total mix, right? Do expensive headphones have left/right controls? Seems they would. (I'm not in that market, though, probably $20 to $30.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b] [quote]Originally posted by soundscapestudios: [b]...As for your hearing problem, I would suggest panning the voice you are playing on your keyboard as hard right as you need to offset the lack of hearing in your right ear. Or alternatively, you can send it through two channels of a mixer and do it there.[/b][/quote]No comprehende... digitalus ingoramus. What does panning it hard right mean? And when you say voice, you mean my voice (vocal voice) or the voice I'm playing on the keyboard? Panning is to shift the sound from the right or left sides, or anywhere in between.You can find it in one of the menus on your keyboard. "voice" is the sound you are playing. Actually, what I'm doing is... this Yamaha has onboard speakers and I'm playing and singing simultaneously. The headphones would just be playing the total mix, right? Do expensive headphones have left/right controls? Seems they would. (I'm not in that market, though, probably $20 to $30.[/b][/quote]

Archived