Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

digi 001 optical input

does anyone know if there is a device that runs 8x 1/4 inch inputs into a optical cable, other than an ADAT?? im trying to see if i can get 16 inputs on a 001 without having to buy an ADAT (cheaper suggestions is really what i would like to know) thanks, it would really help in my buying decision

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you're looking for is an 8 channel ADC with 8 line level inputs that outputs to 8 channel Lightpipe format. Lightpipe is the Alesis digital transfer protocol, but it's used on lots of gear besides ADAT tape decks. :) I responded over on Roger's forum - check that out... Short answer - yes, they're out there. The Alesis AI-3 does this. The Fostex unit suggested over on Roger's site does this. So do a few other boxes. Most should be under $500 retail. There's also multi-channel mic preamps that output to 8 channel optical ("lightpipe") - such as the Presonus Digimax and the new Focusrite Octopre. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

cool, thanx for the suggestions [quote]Originally posted by P_J: [b]Unfortunately 896 doesn't work stand alone product. So you can't use it directly to 001. -PJ-[/b][/quote]now im curious :) just for the sake of knowing, what does it need to operate? do you mean i cant run it directly into the 001, id have to run it into the computer first, or do you mean protools cant use it at all? im unsure of how it connects to the computer as well, the site has no info on this (pci, what?)

Th ADAT optical ports are located on the PCI card that comes with the digi001.you use an optical,(or two) to interface from the mixer to the computer.The Event electronics digital mixer also works as a control surface.It can control the the faders in Pro tools.It connects via the Midi ports on the mixer and on the digi001 breakout box for software control. This makes the Event product a very solid,low cost solution.Although I have heard that they have abandonded this product,so I don't kwow how easy they are to find or service?

Even more, the EZBuss also supports USB audio, so you can connect it to your mac or PC via usb and monitor computer audio(CD playback, etc) without eating up an analog input. It also has a very nice 3 band parametric on each input(18 total) and dynamics on all inputs and outputs. We are considering one for a master mixer here. they sound great, have excellent converters, and have a very small footprint.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I think 896 always needs the "host program" like DP, Audiodesk etc. -Pro Tools itself can't use it -you have to first run 896 audio into the computer's host program I don't have a 896 so I'm not 100% sure does it work att all with 001. Brad Lyons from Motu forum thought you have to use 2 computer to work with 896/001 together. :(

Archived