Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's scoring for film/TV here? I need advice

Hi I'm thinking of getting this (see below). It will be my first set of sound equipment, so I'm not exactly sure what additional kit I need. A controller keyboard, I know, but what else? A sequencer, mixer, DAT machine? I'm a classical composer, but have been using PCs for years, so not a complete technical novice - just needing a bit of advice as to what basic set up I need as an aspiring film/TV composer. Your help is much appreciated. Cheers, Dan. [b]Carillon UltraSampler 160 package[/b] P IV 1.7Ghz - Windows 98SE 512Mb 400Mhz RDRAM 20GB System 7200rpm - 40GB Samples 7200rpm (Seagate Softsonic ATA/100) Black 16x 10x40 Speed CDRW & 5blank CDs 17'' Black CRT (as std) 32Mb ATI Range Pro Card GigaStudio 160 - Sound Forge XP M-Audio - Delta 1010 Total = £2699

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan, the first two things that jump out are A) You need some kind of monitoring solution, most likley mixer and monitors. B) You need a sequencer/Multitrack audio application. Is it your intention to rely exlusively on Gigastudio as your sound source? If not, any "real instruments involved or external synths? And of course you need gobs and gobs of Giga libraries. John
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

It is too wide open to imagine what you might need next - well, OK, I do agree that you might need to at least hear what you are doing, so monitors of some sort would be a plus. There are dozens of ways to go at this - you should probably pick some foundation tools (seems like you have) - then use them and fill in the gaps from there.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Man, that sure seems like a lot of money for that setup! In US currency thats about $4300! I built this machine for about $1200: P-4 1.5Ghz Intel 512Mhz RAM MSI motherboard 40G IBM 7200 RPM Sony 20x8x4 CDRW 19" Monitor case, etc.. Sound Forge costs about $249 Gigastudio 160 costs about $559 Delta 1010 costs about $599 At $2600 thats almost HALF your cost. If I were you I would shop around a little more.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Duhduh, I'm with you, man, but I'm supposing that the rig described above is a preconfigured and tested dedicated DAW, and for many people, that's worth the extra bucks. IMO, there's no circumventing having to learn a thing or two about PC upkeep and problem solving, but to begin with a clean (and working) slate is a seductive idea. I guess it's a matter of resources.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Thanks for all your advice guys. I agree, it would be cheaper to put it together myself - but the technical support which Carillon offers is one of the selling points. As a virtual novice, this is something which attracts me. So am I right in saying that in addition to the equipment listed (see original e-mail), all I need is a set of monitor speakers and sequnceing software (as a minimum)? Cheers, D.

[quote]Originally posted by Magpel: [b]I'm supposing that the rig described above is a preconfigured and tested dedicated DAW[/b][/quote]Carillon has recently begun an extensive ad campaign in the pro rags(er...mags)and it appears to be exactly that. Dan I was wondering to what extent taxes figured into your final price? Let us know how this system works for you. I'm planning on using Gigastudio in the future and am curious about it. Good luck! later, Mike

Dan, Have you been able to figure out just how much you're paying for the system integration, testing & support above the cost on the parts? If it's more than a week of your time would be worth, take a week off, get the parts and use the forum as your support service!

well, here all music still get's delivered on DA-88's. So you might want to pick something like that up. It all depends on what the post houses require the music to be delivered as. Check around and see what they're using wheer you live. Mark

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

One thing one should never forget when building an audio PC is to MAKE IT QUIET! And even using silent power supplies, fans won't make it completely silent ... in fact much on the noise comes form the CPU fan(s). Water cooling seems to be the way to go although a little pricey. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra cash on such a solution. I don't know about you folks but this computer hum drives me crazy!

Archived