Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Venting My Spleen, But It Might Be Useful

I've posted before about Linux DAW's not quite being ready for full blown prime-time. However, I have been putting together a linux machine for the purposes of two track recording and playback in "field situations." (I figured that two track couldn't be too bad.)

I am quite confident that the recording and playback part will work well. However, I must say that, if you are a linux system builder, you should stay away from Asrock K8 1689 motherboards. I am convinced that there is something very strange about the way they work, because I absolutely could not make networking go for a machine built around that board. I tried Fedora Core 4, both releases of Ubuntu, the newest release of Debian, and D!@# Small Linux. Even with a new, PCI, Belkin manufactured ethernet card...nothing. The machine simply could not talk to the local network in any way.

Just for fun, I put the D Small Linux disc in my regular machine, which was built around an Asus A7N8X-E board. The X server failed, but I absolutely could ping my router perfectly.

Like I said, I'm venting my spleen, but maybe this is informative somehow. :mad::cry:

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived