Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Soundcheck music

I'm a bit curious: what music do you test the system with at sound checks?

I usually use Steely Dan's Gaucho, Tom Waits' The Heart Of Saturday Night (other 70's Waits records work well too, they're all familiar) and lately I've been using an own recording of female vocals and acoustic guitar.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Sing, Sang, Sung" by Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

The big thing is to pick a couple of songs. Learn them. Listen to them often. Listen to them on great speakers. No what the recording sounds like. Be able to hear it in your head. Then you can make comparisons on what the current sound system sounds like.

I highly recomend using something with very little distortion. Both titles above are very well recorded pieces using mainly acoustic instruments. Very nice phase coherency.

The problem with using big rock music is that the distorted guitars and heavily compressed dynamics can hide problems with the rig that you are listening to.

I do recomend that you do play a section of source material that is similar to the style you'll be performing. You know, to make sure that it will handle what you want to do...

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Our soundman Danny M tunes the PA to the room with one of the Star Wars-type themes. The band then plays, usually, the Doobies' "Black Water", because everyone has a separate vocal part and the band seems to be more sensitive to my fiddle's volume than to my keys.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I used to use Eric Gales and Saraya, because like Gearmike said, it was similar to what the band was going to sound like. No getting around the distorted guitars, but Gales had some vocal harmony and Saraya had some clean tones going on.

They were also fairly obscure, so sometimes people would ask what that was during the break, and the sound guy could get some public too ;)

I run pink noise to get the crossover and amps tuned in, then go to the eq for fine tuning. Once I got the system relatively flat and in phase, I'll run something that I'm familiar with (ie a current favorite). This can range from Tim McGraw to Van Halen. I generally pick somthing that's in the same genre of the event. I use my ipod (AAC@192 conversion) so I've got pretty much any genre at my disposal. However I'm not big on eqing to music. My favorite tuning tool is my turbosound phase pulse generator, which generates a single pulse of noise that is absolutely flat. With this and a decent analyzer, I can quickly find room modes, phase issues and other acoustic anomolies that for me, music, pink noise, voice, etc., do not necessarily.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Hey where,

Tell me more about this Turbosound thing...

-steve albini

I second the motion! More about Turbosound's Phase Pulse Generator.

As to music, I like Toy Matinee for it's clarity and wide variety of timbres. But like Where, after listening with a favorite, I have to go to something in the vibe of the expected performance. Just because James Taylor sounds pristine doesn't mean the system will be appropriately tuned for the hard rock act I'm mixing. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

It's a phase pluse generator, made by Turbosound, but there are several companies that manufacture them. Their intended purpose is to check phase, either at the line level (by placing it on the output of a device) or speaker (using the built in mic and placing it in front of the specific speaker).

If time permits (and there's not alot of other stuff like lighting focus or something going on so I won't annoy the hell out of everyone) I like to so a sine wave sweep while watching the RTA.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

No not going there.

Actually, I think I need to go there.

Because it is a specific difference. I thought you were looking at the phase responseor coherence of the system. Like with a SMAART system or SIM.

I'm not sure that that piece of equipment emits "a single pulse of noise that is absolutely flat." Flat in what regard? What it produces is a signal that only contains positive voltage merely to check that all the drivers are firing in the correct polarity.

And once the rig is flown, there's really no good way to determine if the drivers are wired correctly. That's the kind of maintence we do in the shop.

-steve albini

Or before the rig goes in the air if you've got a clue.

If I plug the generator into an analyzer, the resultant scan of the pulse is flat from 20hz-20khz. since it is not continuant, it really helps to reveal nodes, as well as RT60 time. I find it much more accurate (and less annoying) than pink noise.

It's also invaluable for setting delay times on multiple zones.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Archived