Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bread and butter key sounds, SampleTank or??

I'm looking for a sample player like SampleTank. Maybe SampleTank is what I need, but I thought I'd throw it out here and benefit from your collective wisdom.

I need plenty of bread and butter keyboard sounds with the ability to edit the attack, filter, etc. The album I'm working on features a keyboard player who emulates a lot of different traditional sounds. Marimba, xylophone, Farfisa, B3, Wurly, accordion… on and on.

We've decided to search out the “real item” whenever possible, baby grand, suitcase Rhoades, Farfisa, glockenspiel, etc. But we'll still need a lot of other sounds that we can't get our hands on.

So… what have you used that you like that fits the bill?

VST or RTAS is cool. Thanks for any input, even if it's only a review you read.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use SampleTank II XL, SonicSynth 2, and Emulator X for this. There is no "one" good library for the general sounds because they all seem to do something bad. But any of thse three will give you a good start. A good B3 will be hard to find in these so consider grabbing NI's B4.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

I use SampleTank II XL, SonicSynth 2, and Emulator X for this. There is no "one" good library for the general sounds because they all seem to do something bad. But any of thse three will give you a good start. A good B3 will be hard to find in these so consider grabbing NI's B4.

Robert

But if you DID have to keep just one... which would it be?

Emulator X has the best programming, but it requires the Emu sound card so that is probably out for you.

SampleTank II XL has the best collecton of instruments and I would probably recommend it first.

If you need more synth and pad sounds, then SonicSynth 2 has the edge. It is sort of like having a Korg Triton. I also think the drums on it are better.

One I did not mention that I probably use most is the SonicStation sample set within NI Kontakt. SonicStation is a basic sample set that translates into several formats. I use the GigaStudio format and load it into Kontakt and EmulatorX. If you already have a software sampler, check it out.

But overall for the most complete set, probably SampleTank II XL.

Robert

Thanks Robert. That's what I needed to know. While I'd like to have several different ones, I can't justify the expense right now. I'm leaning toward SampleTank II XL.

I use the freebie that comes with Pro Tools so I have some experience with SampleTank and have liked what I've heard so far.

Any other opinions out there?

A good full-featured sampler, like Kontakt, Halion, VSampler, etc., is what I would recommend (although, as good as the Wizoo Magnetica samples are, I miss my Logic B3).

Importing of all formats, integration into the DAW, editing and instrument-making capabilities have given me more opportunities than SampleTank Free has. I think IK should keep SampleTank as an affordable, easy to use solution, and if they need to make a full-featured virtual sampler, go ahead and make one.

Originally posted by doug osborne:

A good full-featured sampler, like Kontakt, Halion, VSampler, etc.

Great, I forgot about those, thanks Doug.

How about GigaStudio? I was just checking it out at the Tascam site and it looks pretty cool too...

Lee

I saw the phrase "baby grand" in there among real instruments you were seeking out.

I think you may find that it's easier to find a good sounding upright or upright grand than a good sounding baby. Baby grands are living room pianos with substantial compromises to fit them into the compact b.g. form.

I'm by no means any kind of keyboard tech, but this is my long time understanding. (And 'confirmed' by a pal who just went through a lengthy research/shopping process buying a new piano. [He got a Yamaha upright.])

Originally posted by theblue1:

Lee

I saw the phrase "baby grand" in there among real instruments you were seeking out.

I think you may find that it's easier to find a good sounding upright or upright grand than a good sounding baby. Baby grands are living room pianos with substantial compromises to fit them into the compact b.g. form.

I'm by no means any kind of keyboard tech, but this is my long time understanding. (And 'confirmed' by a pal who just went through a lengthy research/shopping process buying a new piano. [He got a Yamaha upright.])

Yeah, I hear you. But I've got access to a 60 year old Kawai that's owned by my wife's partner. They've got it setup in their hair salon so it will (maybe) become my overdub piano. It sounds pretty cool in the shop... but I hear ya on the uprights. Love 'em, I do.

60 year old Kawai. And I thought my Kawaii K4 synth (now back in use as my primary controller) was old! (Actually, I have a 110 year old upright in my garage. But it's one of those old-fangled American made ones. :D )

Hey, I grew up sneaking into my aunt's living room to play her b.g. (a Steinway) and I loved that thing. I thought it was pretty much the be all and end all of pianos (esp. compared to my best friend's family's way-handmedown trashed player upright).

I'll bet a 60 year old Kawai b.g. can sound pretty good, compromises and all!

;)

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

How about GigaStudio? I was just checking it out at the Tascam site and it looks pretty cool too...

Those don't come with a complete sample set, which is why I mentioned SonicStation if you get one of those. GigaStudio still works best when on a dedicated PC.

Also, prices vary widely. Seperates cost more. At AudioMidi SampleTank 2 XL is $375 and comes with a fairly complete sample set. Kontakt 2 is $489 plus you need a sample collection. The included samples are not going to cut it. On the plus side, you can buy good samples of individual instruments for GigaStudio or Kontakt so either of those is better when you want to expand your sample set.

Robert

Thanks Robert. That's what I needed to know. While I'd like to have several different ones, I can't justify the expense right now. I'm leaning toward SampleTank II XL.

the best all in one, bread and butter, is east west quantum leap colossus. hands down. it's not particularly cheap but it BLOWS away sample tank. it's worth the extra dough. it's better than a triton, etc. IMO. check it out....

OK... I went and bought GigaStudio. It appears to be what I need. I'll report back on how things go with this. Thanks for all the advice on getting a higher end sampler, etc.

Now I need Colliope samples!

GigaStudio looks awesome but... I need to install a 3rd hard drive! I'ge got one I was going to put in a case and use as an external, portable sudio drive for on site stuff.

I guess that will go in the PC after all. Hopefull this will a go fast because I hate buying something and having to wait to get it up and running.

I think after your hardware quest is over, Giga will fill your needs. I use Giga sometimes, but I don't own it and it is not on my computer. The people who own it call the new version BetaStudio, because it got released with many bugs and Tascam has provided little support - time will tell - and this is why it did not make my list.

I use VSampler - it was relatively cheap to Sonar owners (don't ask, you won't be happy), is very full-featured, sounds great (Maz sound has their own tests supporting this at http://www.maz-sound.com/index.php?show=mpcs&mpc_id=34, but I don't know how objective this is), but has no real owners' manual and you have to learn by doing - not such a bad thing in itself, but I wish they would release a comprehensive manual. I used to use EXS in Logic.

I also bought CDXtract so I can accurately convert just about anything to word in VSampler (and it will convert just about anything to work in Giga).

<

SampleTank II XL has the best collecton of instruments and I would probably recommend it first.

If you need more synth and pad sounds, then SonicSynth 2 has the edge. It is sort of like having a Korg Triton. I also think the drums on it are better.>>

I think these are all valid comments. And I'll second the comments about Colossus. Yeah it's pricey, but damn, it sounds good.

Finally, I'm surprised so few people consider Steinberg's Hypersonic. I think the sounds aren't as rich as other products, BUT it's less expensive and runs very, very efficiently. I think it's a great choice for laptops and older computers.

Archived