Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

secrets of predelay

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone can share some insights

of how to culculate reverb predelay so that it would match song's tempo. I'm trying to get it right for a songs that is 80BPM with a very moody lyrics performed by a female singer and classical

guitar player. I looked all over the net but all I could find is that some people do it by ear and some actually calculate it for absolute precision.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually do predelays by ear, but calculating tempo based delays is actually pretty easy:

Assuming the song is in 4/4 time, enter 60,000 into your calculator and divide by the BPM (beats per minute) tempo value of the song. In this case, you'd get 60,000 / 80 = 750 ms. If you want 1/8th note values, divide that in half... for a half note value in milliseconds, double that value, etc.

Even when I'm doing echo effects (for dub, dramatic vocals, etc) I've found myself veering away from 'calculated and locked' delays because they often sound a little too "on the nose" for my tastes, sometimes getting lost and just adding to subliminal mix clutter.

(Someday we've got to do a thread on subliminal/near-subliminal mix elements, yeah? It's an interesting topic and those elements can make -- or break -- a mix.)

Anyhow, while I might do a little quick math to figure out a delay as a starting place, I seldom go with the precise interval -- or tick the 'synchronize with beat' on plugs that have it.

For this specific effect, I find a delay and reverb in series work best, rather than a reverb with a specific predelay setting. This allows me to use the delay as a predelay, and, using it's wet/dry mix, blend predelayed and unpredelayed signal to the reverb. I find this sounds much more natural, and, being able to adjust the ratio of (ofr lack fo a better term) wet/dry reverb, I can really fine tune the delay, and the amount of it I want on the reverb, while not having it be so abrupt and noticable.

AFA the specific time, I use a delay with a tap function, so I can rhymithically tap the specific delay time I want in. In addition, I find that often some regeration on the delay gives the reverb a nice lush sound, again without being overbearing.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Where, I've had great success with the technique you've described. I use it all the time, and have for a few years now. I love how flexible, effective, and invisible it can be.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I really liked Bruce's comments about using a real long predelay so you don't mask the early reflections inherent to the actual recording. He uses his Blumlien setup a lot so this makes sense. The figure 8's picking up the ER's and all. I've incorporated this thinking lately with nice results.

Archived