Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for file management tips for Reason

I have learning Reason 2.5 over the last two weeks and would like to know the best way to save and archive songs for later use. I am waiting for 3.01 to come out before upgrading.

Is it simply a matter of using the "Song Self Contain Settings" or is there more to it? If I open up a song on another computer will the rns file contain the necessary refills the song file references?

Any other file management strategy would be welcomed.

BTW, It has taken me a while to warm up to Reason but it has won me over bigtime! :)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully DJDM will find this thread and help you out. He is a Reason master and I'm sure could help you out. I'll see if I can nudge him out from his new gig.

Chris Groegler

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

Originally posted by Vortex:

I have learning Reason 2.5 over the last two weeks and would like to know the best way to save and archive songs for later use. I am waiting for 3.01 to come out before upgrading.

Is it simply a matter of using the "Song Self Contain Settings" or is there more to it? If I open up a song on another computer will the rns file contain the necessary refills the song file references?

Any other file management strategy would be welcomed.

BTW, It has taken me a while to warm up to Reason but it has won me over bigtime! :)

Thanks Chris :)

Hey Vortex,

Saving/archiving Reason songs is really easy. If you are worried about compatibility with your future systems or if you will be opening your files on other computers you can self-contain the tracks. But keep in mind that unless the sounds you use are proprietary or samples that you have incorporated directly into Reason (that are not part of a refill) you don't gain a lot from this process as any refill (commercial or otherwise) does not save as part of the self contain process and will require you to have that refill when you open the song on any other system. And it makes your files as big as the samples/loops etc. I have self contained .rns files that wound up being over 50 mb!

What I do is keep all of my sounds and refills (custom and commercial) in folders with the same naming conventions on both my desktop and my laptop. But even if you move them around or misplace sounds Reason will prompt a search when you open the .rns or .rps files at a later time. Reason will identify the missing files by name and help you search for them locally or even try to download them from the net if you've lost them. But there are limitations to the search process and any sound that doesn't come from a refill you purchased or downloaded will not be found in this search. So if you have sounds that live exclusively on your drives or back up media make sure you protect them.

The bottom line is that you don't need to put much thought into it. By staying a little organized and by keeping your sounds and refills organized and updated as you upgrade or move to other systems you ensure that your sounds are available instead of having to look for them later. I also recommend keeping your custom sounds .rns/.rps files as well as any downloaded sounds/refills in separate folders from your Reason folder so you can easily back it up on a regular basis.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Archived