Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to deal with SF Bay Area RE

Howdy,

There's a small chance a co. in the Bay Area may be interested in me, and I'd have a relocation crisis on my hands.

To put things in perspective, I'm an older guy with a family, a wife who is disabled and a child, and not much family infrastructure past the three of us.

We live in a great place on the W. Coast now, with enough space (about 3k sq. feet internally, I know, weep for me, etc., I've been very fortunate and lucky so far).

How would we handle getting into the Bay Area? We have many books, electronic music things, sewing things, children's things, inherited family furniture, etc. and short of finding a good arsonist, I don't have any easy "downsizing" solutions I can think of.

Is there any way to move into the Bay Area without cramping into a tiny living space, or commuting 3 hours from say, Fresno to the Bay Area?

If the answer is no, tell me now and I'll simplify the conversation with the company out there. :confused:

rt

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi realtrance,

It's very expensive here in the SF Bay Area. There really aren't any inexpensive areas left. Are you planning on buying or renting? If you want to buy a place, you'll need to come up with upwards of half a million. The median house price in Santa Clara County was around $570K last time I checked. A 3000 sq.ft. place will cost closer to $1m. Take a look at www.mlslistings.com - all the currently available homes in the SF Bay Area are on there.

A 1500 sq.ft small ranch style family home goes for about $2.5K per month rent.

Some people live over in the central valley (e.g. Tracey, Discovery Bay etc.) and commute. They spend upwards of 4 hours on the road every day (= loco!!).

If I were trying to move into this area now, I'd be looking for one heck of a good relo package.

Good luck,

:DTR

Probably not. PM me your details, minimum size needs, inside and out, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, and etc. Do you own now? Where? Will you be selling? Will you want to purchase or rent up there? What area? Present and proposed incomes?

I can say the prices up there are nasty, even compared to Orange & San Diego Counties. Depending on circumstances I can probably help, in some way or another...

I have a client that is still waffling about whether to keep his present home or sell it when he goes up there. We've looked out into the Dublin and Livingston areas as well as others to find him something that's close to what he has now with little luck. His home isn't all that large at about 2500sf but he does have a golf course view across the street in front and his back yard looks over a tee box on a par three and he would like to stay on a golf course.

You may be looking for something a bit easier to find but the square footage, if you want to stay at 3000sf is going to bring a premium.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Appreciate the comments, all. Dave, yeah, your numbers sound about right, unfortunately. Dak, if the situation turns more solid, I will definitely contact you to at least try to get more info.

And Botch, yeah, my whole life I've tried to avoid cramming into a living coffin, which is what most people are being sold these days, that or bankruptcy-guaranteeing totally-upside-down insane no-money-down mortgages.

I may just end up taking early retirement and buying a cheap home in Nebraska or something, with some farmland. :)

On the positive side rents are down a good bit lately. But purchase prices for homes remain sky high.

My advice-rent a house in the East Bay- Oakland, El Cerrito, Richmond. Many of these towns have bad reputations but they also have nice parts of town. Find an area that is nice enough but affordable due to some proximity to a "bad" area. Don't assume that the presence of minorities means a neighborhood is dangerous.

Rent in the apartment I stayed in Oakland (near Piedmont) was $1500.00 /month 1 bedroom about 850 sq foot. Bad areas all around but the neighbood was OK. Now where I stay in the SF a 750 sq foot 1 Bedroom is $2000.00/mth.

YES SF is really epensive OTOH, Daly City/Colma is a bit cheaper and the ride on Bart is pretty quick into downtown. There are lot of choices but a long commute is crazy. BTW I dislike the east bay a lot I would never live there ever again - but that's just me.

I own a house in Canada and will probably take me a long time to ever own any dirt in SF.

I had another idea today: we'll move to Downieville (yeah, it's a little north, and east, of Santa Clara) and I'll buy a new Porsche Carrera with the money I've saved and have a really long, but fun, commute each day!

Whaddya think? Problem is it doesn't fit synth keyboards very well, though. Damn. :P

As with any move, your options are greatly dictated by your salary. If you will be making $2mil you have many an option.

I say take some trips and drive around potential neighborhoods in Oakland, Daly City, SF-Outer Sunset, even the more affordable pockets of Mill Valley, etc. Your nose will be your guide to what is a good fit- and hopefully you can afford it!

good luck!

ps-don't let your possessions control your lifestyle!

SF is one of those neat places where you can go from stylin' to homeless with about 3 missed payments. Something to consider!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by hard truth:

a house in the East Bay- Oakland, El Cerrito, Richmond. Many of these towns have bad reputations but they also have nice parts of town. Find an area that is nice enough but affordable due to some proximity to a "bad" area. Don't assume that the presence of minorities means a neighborhood is dangerous.

That's a good idea. My sister just moved to San Leandro across the bay from the city. Much nicer with a kid. The city is impossible with a child. Imagine no parking, and when you get it at the grocery store, you're 10 blocks away and have to tote junior. No thanks.

Archived