Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"listen to your heart" a blatant ripoff of "what about love" by heart??

i have heard the new song "listen to your heart" a couple of times now (i dont know who it is by), and it sure sounds like a significant plagarization of the song "what about love" done by heart many years ago. there are entire phrases that they have just completely lifted from the heart song - melody line, chord progression, accompaniment, and even basic arrangement. how can they do this? did they pay some royalty to be able to use so much of the essence of the earlier heart song?

jnorman

sunridge studios

salem, oregon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, they keep remaking old songs. The Roxette song does bear a striking resemblance to the Heart song, now that you bring it to my attention. Which one was first? Maybe Heart copied Roxette instead of the other way around?

I remember seeing an interview one time with Ray Manzerek of the Doors. The interviewer asked him if they had copied "All of the day and all of the night" to write "Hello, I love you, won't you tell me your name."

At first he was all like, "No, they are completely different..."

Then he started humming the Kinks song. He ended up capitulating, saying, "Please don't sue us, Ray..." :D

I don't know the Roxette song, but it was released 15 years ago. (1990).

Heart released "What About Love" on the Heart album. That would be 20 years ago. I went to the concert in support of this album at the U of Iowa's basketball arena in 1986.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

Yeah, they keep remaking old songs. The Roxette song does bear a striking resemblance to the Heart song, now that you bring it to my attention. Which one was first? Maybe Heart copied Roxette instead of the other way around?

I remember seeing an interview one time with Ray Manzerek of the Doors. The interviewer asked him if they had copied "All of the day and all of the night" to write "Hello, I love you, won't you tell me your name."

At first he was all like, "No, they are completely different..."

Then he started humming the Kinks song. He ended up capitulating, saying, "Please don't sue us, Ray..." :D

Yeah, but if they set that precedent with the Doors, then they'd have to sue themselves for semi-plagiarizing so many of their own songs. As much as I love some of those early Kinks songs, I can't tell you how glad I was when they moved on to new beats and progressions...

Archived